Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Can You Imagine If We Had A Good O-Line?!
Provide a list of every NFL team that could not improve at Oline:
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Trying to get a complete read on this OL is not necessarily easy:

1) 30 sacks on the season but 15 are in 3 games.

2) At least 6 but as many (depending on source) as 10 sacks came from backs and TEs missing their pass block assignment.

3) Burrow DOES hold on to the ball more. What would be a really good stat (but I don't know where to find it) would be number of seconds between snap and sack and also snap and throw.

My visual read is that on the VAST majority of his drop backs Burrow has both time to do progressions and a clean pocket. Sometimes you see inexplicable plays too (like the Steeler sack where Burrow had a big clean pocket to step into and Chase open in the end zone but for some reason he rolled out right) but that is when we need to remember Burrow is still learning too.

Also, as the season has progressed and the line has gotten more snaps as a unit it is playing better.
Reply/Quote
FWIW, PFF grades this year:

1. Spain, RG, 76.0, 693 snaps, 3 penalties, 3 sacks allowed.
2. Williams, LT, 75.5, 703 snaps, 2 penalties, 5 SA.
3. Reiff, RT, 69.4, 667 snaps, 1 penalty, 4 SA.
4. Adeniji, RG, 59.1, 217 snaps, 0 penalties, 0 SA.
5. Hopkins, C, 48.8, 662, 3 penalties, 3 SA.
---------------------
6. Prince, OT, 88.0, 85 snaps, 2 penalties, 0 SA.
7. Hill, C/OG, 53.7, 81 snaps, 4 penalties, 0 SA.
8. XSF, OG, 50.0, 124 snaps, 0 penalties, 0 SA.
9. Carman, OG, 46.6, 314 snaps, 3 penalties, 0 SA.
---------
10. Johnson, OT, 64.5, 20 snaps, 0 penalties, 0 SA.

FWIW:
1. Price, C/OG, 57.5, 652 snaps, 4 penalties, 1 SA.
2. Hart, OT, 30.4, 101 snaps, 3 penalties, 4 SA.
3. Jordan: not currently on a roster
--------------------

Reiff has been an upgrade over Hart, but the OGs have been the biggest improvement. Spain has been much better this year, no surprise given he did not have camp with us last year. Adeniji has been better than Carman and XSF, but all 3 are better than MJ. Great for us, but a bit disappointing given where Carman was drafted. Still, a rookie playing a new position is going to be tough. Hopkins has been worse this year, but coming back so soon after the injury, it is not surprising. He IS getting better.

And Pollack is certainly inprovement. Not just in temperment, but he actuallu coaches. Technique. Actual schemes to minimize an opponents strength (look at Watt last week).
Reply/Quote
Am always one of the first who want to improve O-line.

But kind of hard to improve on what they did on the field yesterday.

Tip my hat to them

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: According to PFF, we have the 20th ranked offensive line so far:

Given that, we're 7-4, Burrow is 11th in yards and 5th in completion percentage, and Mixon is third in yards.

Can you imagine if we had a decent offensive line that gave Burrow the time to read defenses and throw the ball with no pressure?!

If we invest in the offensive line this offseason through free agency and the draft, we could be one of the best teams in the NFL next season!

Burrow's the real deal!

Am I wrong about being this excited?!

You are not wrong about being excited about Burrow and Mixon.  
You are wrong about insulting the Offensive Line. 
The Offensive Line has been playing great in the last 2 wins. 
If there was no Blocking, Mixon would not be gaining yards, Burrow would not be making passes. Bengals would not be winning 
I mentioned quickly after the win over Steelers that we better give some reps and respect to the improved Offensive Line. 

Now I have called this the Worst Offensive Line in the NFL since 2017, and it was.  However the 2021 Offensive Line is much better.  Oh, they had some games where Burrow got hit too much.  In the Steelers game Burrow got hit seldom.  Plus blocking lanes for Mixon.  

Blocking and Tackling have been Bengals huge weaknesses the last few years,  but Not This Year.   This is Key.  If the Bengals win a play-off game, it will not be just because of Burrow and Mixon and Chase.  Defense and Blocking wins Play-Off Games.  The much improved Bengals Defense and Blocking gives Bengals a real chance on getting the first play-off win in 30 years.  They say Defense wins Championships. I tell you every Super Bowl Winner had a great Offensive Line.  The Packers O Line.  The Jets O Line.  The Chiefs O Line stopping the Vikings Defense.  The Cowboys O Line, The Dolphins O Line, The Steelers O Line, The Raiders O Line, and that is just the first Super Bowls. To make a run at The Super Bowl, you need Defense and O Line.   What makes the Bengals much better in 2021 is the improved Defense and O Line.  Add that they do have Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah, McPherson, Huber,  and The Bengals have a 1980's type Bengals team on the field right now.  

O Linemen names only get mentioned on penalties.  When you see Receivers or Runners dancing in the End Zone, that only happens because The Blocks were Made to execute the Play.  When the plays fall apart, we say what poor Blocking.  When Chase or Mixon score, we say how great Chase and Mixon are, but we forget to say What Good Blocking. 

So you are completely wrong on The Blocking.  The O Line has been playing Great.  The Bookend Tackles of Williams and Reiff to me is the huge improvement, but also the Guards and Center are better this year.  The Bengals fired some Fan Favorite slugs who couldn't block their way out of a wet paper bag. 

Again, I hated the O Line of the last 4 years, but this O Line is NOT that O Line.   You are RIGHT to be excited about The Bengals, but do not be foolish enough to think Burrow, Chase, Mixon are making plays without Blocking.  They are good, but they aren't that good.  The Bengals have been doing some great Blocking, I don't care what social media thing you found and posted.  I watch every game.  There were some games Burrow took too many hits, but lately all these new Blockers have came together as One Unit.  It takes a few games for new Blockers to come together as One Unit, anybody that knows football knows that.  Once you build a great O Line, you try to keep all 5 starters together for as many years as you can.  This O Line has came together and are functioning as a Team of Blockers.  I have nothing but GOOD to say about The Bengals Blocking in November, and THIS Blocking can take a team on that Play-Off Win Super Bowl hunt like 1980's Bengals.  I add Bengals Tight Ends and Running Backs and Receivers are Blocking.  So I will use Bengal Heads to honor an O Line and Tight End playing great now. 

Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger 

GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 01:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Are people trying to argue that the o-line is good? It’s not. It’s inconsistent. A little below average

If we actually had a good line, I’d argue we could get to the afc title game

It is trending in the right direction.  It had some tough games....really just one (Cleveland), but they will have a big test against the Chargers with Bosa and an injured Reiff.

As far as making it to the AFC Title game, the Bengals will most likely have to beat a team like the Ravens and Patriots.  

Everyone loves the Pats right now, for beating up on the Titans sans Henry, the lifeless Falcons, the enigmatic Browns, the awful Panthers, and the Chargers.

They trailed the Chargers heading in to the fourth quarter of that game, and gave up 160 yards rushing.  I look at that and think if the Chargers run game can do that, so can the run game of Cincy.  And for all the love for Herbert out there, he isn't trending in the same direction as Burrow of late.

This Charger game will go a long way to giving the doubters that much less, well, doubt heading to the playoffs.  

I believe they can contend for the AFC title game and beyond.  Stay healthy and they have one of the best offenses in the league and the #6 scoring defense.  That is a recipe for winning in the postseason.  I know, I know...let's get there first.  

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
I said this during the Sewell/Chase debate so I'll mention it again. You don't need a dominant O line to win a Super Bowl you just can't have an awful one. I think we are out of awful category now which is why we see ourselves as having post season aspirations. They are capable enough to let us throw, even against good pass rushes, and we can run the ball decently most the time and dominantly sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 09:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, PFF grades this year:

---------------------
---------

FWIW:
--------------------

Reiff has been an upgrade over Hart, but the OGs have been the biggest improvement. Spain has been much better this year, no surprise given he did not have camp with us last year. Adeniji has been better than Carman and XSF, but all 3 are better than MJ. Great for us, but a bit disappointing given where Carman was drafted. Still, a rookie playing a new position is going to be tough. Hopkins has been worse this year, but coming back so soon after the injury, it is not surprising. He IS getting better.

And Pollack is certainly inprovement. Not just in temperment, but he actuallu coaches. Technique. Actual schemes to minimize an opponents strength (look at Watt last week).

Jordan has started the last 6 games for Carolina.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JordMi01.htm
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 01:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Are people trying to argue that the o-line is good? It’s not. It’s inconsistent. A little below average

If we actually had a good line, I’d argue we could get to the afc title game

I don't think the OL is good, but at least for this season, it's been good enough. It's starting to show improvement down the stretch with Adeniji emerging at RG and Hopkins beginning to return to form at C.  If those two maintain their level of play, we're at the point where all 5 starters are at least average.  

The AFC is pretty much wide open at this point.  It really wouldn't be that big of a surprise to see any of the 7 teams that are currently in win conference.  The Bengals match up well with any of them, but you have to question their consistency and Burrow has had games where he's thrown picks in bunches.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 09:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, PFF grades this year:

---------------------
---------

FWIW:
--------------------

Reiff has been an upgrade over Hart, but the OGs have been the biggest improvement. Spain has been much better this year, no surprise given he did not have camp with us last year. Adeniji has been better than Carman and XSF, but all 3 are better than MJ.  Great for us, but a bit disappointing given where Carman was drafted. Still, a rookie playing a new position is going to be tough. Hopkins has been worse this year, but coming back so soon after the injury, it is not surprising. He IS getting better.

Happy to see Jonah improving again and Hopkins starting to get better. As everyone knows I was a big Carman backer but if 
Adeniji is playing better so be it. All I want is the best OL out there and Carman is great depth at not only Guard but OT.

Spain has been fantastic IMO, maybe even better than his grade. 

His improvement in run blocking this season has been staggering.
Reply/Quote
Hopkins grades have been improving as the season wears on. He has been decent last month
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 04:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As everyone knows I was a big Carman backer but if Adeniji is playing better so be it. All I want is the best OL out there and Carman is great depth at not only Guard but OT.

Guys like Whitworth and Boling struggled when forced to start as rookies.

I don't know if Carman will be as good as either of those guys.  Just saying it is too early to tell how good he will be.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 06:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Guys like Whitworth and Boling struggled when forced to start as rookies.

I don't know if Carman will be as good as either of those guys.  Just saying it is too early to tell how good he will be.

Truth.
Reply/Quote