Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Can Zac Taylor change the culture here ?
I want to see what Taylor’s vision is. So far it is hard for me to see a direction. At this point it just looks like business as usual under a different coaching staff. If that is what it is going to be then my answer is no, Taylor can’t implement a new culture here when Mikey and co. are sticking to the same practices that created the old culture.

This team needs a legit rebuild, and they need to take a hard look at how they draft and what types of players make up the roster. They need to change the on field leadership and create a new dynamic in the huddles. What reason, other than a new staff, do they currently have to believe that the results will be any different moving forward?
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 08:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How do you know that's not just coach speak for "I've got free reign to do what I want to make this team better"?

That just doesn't seem likely, but hope springs eternal.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 06:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've had teams with a roster capable of competing for a SB maybe 2-3 times under this management team in 27 years. Something like all but 5 teams in the NFL have been to the SB over that span of time.

It did come down to poor coaching at times during the playoff losses, and not just Marvin. Our defenses melted down. Look at the stats for the 2015 playoff loss. We gave up A LOT of rushing yards to the Steelers who were without Bell and had 2 guys they signed off the street rushing. The front office also chose to not address glaring weaknesses a lot of seasons such as getting a MLB who could cover a TE. Getting a capable Center, etc.

It's tough to win here. The same things Coughlin said 15 years ago when he interviewed ring true.

Plus, coaches have to scout heavily. It's hard to create a new playbook and evaluate the entire roster when you are out scouting.

Plus, MB, Katie, Troy, and Duke all supposedly meet with Zac Taylor daily. Sounds like micromanagement. How do you get an infusion of fresh ideas and culture change when the people who created that culture are all that heavily involved?

You constantly complain about scouting yet Parcells said it best when he said something to the effect of if he is cooking the dinner then let him buy the groceries. I could not disagree more with you. I think coaches should be heavily involved in scouting as they will be coaching the players.
Reply/Quote
I don't believe any coach can "change a culture" before he wins anything.

Every new coach is excited and the fan are always excited about change, but more new coaches fail than succeed. The ones that win and have some success can start "changing a culture", but before that they are just talk. And talk is cheap in the NFL.

Other than the mind blowing total domination by the Steelers the Bengals played pretty well against good teams. But we did not look good at all in the postseason.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 06:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Something like all but 5 teams in the NFL have been to the SB over that span of time.

Lions: never
Browns: never
Jets: 50 years
Chiefs: 49 years
Vikings: 42 years
Bengals: 30 years
Dolphins: 34 years
Jaguars: never (in 24 years)
Texans: never (in 17 years)

So 7 over the last 27 years, 9 if you include the two that didn't exist in 1991 and have never gone.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 08:30 PM)HuDey Wrote: I want to see what Taylor’s vision is. So far it is hard for me to see a direction. At this point it just looks like business as usual under a different coaching staff. If that is what it is going to be then my answer is no, Taylor can’t implement a new culture here when Mikey and co. are sticking to the same practices that created the old culture.

This team needs a legit rebuild, and they need to take a hard look at how they draft and what types of players make up the roster. They need to change the on field leadership and create a new dynamic in the huddles. What reason, other than a new staff, do they currently have to believe that the results will be any different moving forward?

And that's what is starting to spook me a little.

I'm in no way trying to start a sky is falling doom and gloom. I still have high hopes that the culture can and will change. But it just seems every day that goes by this off season it's just operating as before.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 08:30 PM)HuDey Wrote: I want to see what Taylor’s vision is. So far it is hard for me to see a direction. At this point it just looks like business as usual under a different coaching staff. If that is what it is going to be then my answer is no, Taylor can’t implement a new culture here when Mikey and co. are sticking to the same practices that created the old culture.

BW Webb, Kerry Wynn, and Jonathan Miller will change the culture!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 10:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And that's what is starting to spook me a little.

I'm in no way trying to start a sky is falling doom and gloom. I still have high hopes that the culture can and will change. But it just seems every day that goes by this off season it's just operating as before.

IF the sky does fall and we go 3-13 or 4-12 is that such a bad thing? We might land a franchise QB.

In a lot of ways, that's better than being 6-10 or 7-9 every year.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 10:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: BW Webb, Kerry Wynn, and Jonathan Miller will change the culture!  Hilarious

I think you're gonna be pleasantly surprised when Miller's run blocking lines up next to Hart's passion...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
as for the "daily" meetings, it better not be ZT getting Bengalized!

Reply/Quote
The culture starts with the ownership, especially in a hands on ownership organization like the Bengals.

The GM, coaches and players have to function within that culture.

Now the Team environment, chemistry and morale can be influenced by a coach, but it only happens when it is accompanied with success.

It seems that Taylor is on a short leash and is being micro-managed. I just hope all this works out for the best.
Reply/Quote
I think he'll change the culture here in a big way by getting the players excited to play the game and actually have some football knowledge to coach games and get the team prepared.

He'll also have more aggressive (at times) game calls and will hopefully show some emotion to the players in practice and games.

Taylor's bringing a winning culture and the players and fans will be excited!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 08:30 PM)HuDey Wrote:  What reason, other than a new staff, do they currently have to believe that the results will be any different moving forward?

What do you mean?  Isn't a new coaching staff a huge change?

If changing coaches doesn't change anything then why make the change?
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 09:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What do you mean?  Isn't a new coaching staff a huge change?

If changing coaches doesn't change anything then why make the change?

On the surface it is a huge change, but if the new staff has to work with basically the same roster and under the same Mike Brown restrictions or worse than Marvin worked under, how much is really changing?

It is still early to pass judgement but man it looks like the “same” that’s going on here is greater than the “different”. And to your point, if Taylor isn’t given the freedom to build his vision then we may as well have kept Marvin. And if Taylor’s vision is just picking up where Marvin left off, we hired the wrong guy.
Reply/Quote
You mean how many games till Dunlop pulls hid cap down over his face?
Reply/Quote
A better thread would be: Will Zac Taylor change the culture? Or will the culture change Zac Taylor?
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 01:26 PM)yang Wrote: You mean how many games till Dunlop pulls hid cap down over his face?

He has no reasons to do that.

Yet.

Wink
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 12:02 PM)HuDey Wrote: On the surface it is a huge change, but if the new staff has to work with basically the same roster and under the same Mike Brown restrictions or worse than Marvin worked under, how much is really changing?

It is still early to pass judgement but man it looks like the “same” that’s going on here is greater than the “different”. And to your point, if Taylor isn’t given the freedom to build his vision then we may as well have kept Marvin. And if Taylor’s vision is just picking up where Marvin left off, we hired the wrong guy.

I know you weren't talking to me but 0-7 under Marv in the Playoffs is something you just don't hold onto. Marv had very talented teams to work with, so it was not like Mikey and company was just handing him trash. Taylor has a lot of talent here now and now we will see what an offensive minded coach can do with said talent.

The players were sabotaged by a defensive minded coach and a Line coach that the game had passed by. Not to mention the crappy Linebacker coach we had the last 3 years. As long as Taylor and his handpicked coaches are not sabotaging the players and themselves i think we will be much better than we were under Marv.

I usually don't agree with Fred but he is right, in the end winning changes the culture and the Offense should be better than last year with a better O-line and the Defense WILL be better with a new DC and new LB coach with better players and young players coming into their own.

We will see about the draft and if they get a decent RT and a stud LB....

This team should win more games than last year, bet on it barring being decimated by injuries.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 02:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know you weren't talking to me but 0-7 under Marv in the Playoffs is something you just don't hold onto. Marv had very talented teams to work with, so it was not like Mikey and company was just handing him trash. Taylor has a lot of talent here now and now we will see what an offensive minded coach can do with said talent.

The players were sabotaged by a defensive minded coach and a Line coach that the game had passed by. Not to mention the crappy Linebacker coach we had the last 3 years. As long as Taylor and his handpicked coaches are not sabotaging the players and themselves i think we will be much better than we were under Marv.

I usually don't agree with Fred but he is right, in the end winning changes the culture and the Offense should be better than last year with a better O-line and the Defense WILL be better with a new DC and new LB coach with better players and young players coming into their own.

We will see about the draft and if they get a decent RT and a stud LB....

This team should win more games than last year, bet on it barring being decimated by injuries.

After that 7th playoff lose...he even got another 3 years to try to win another. WHAT NFL franchise other than the Bengals would do that?
Reply/Quote
Does he believe in HT adjustments and can he make good ones? Will he go for the jugular each and every game? Will he play his best/hottest players regardless of seniority/contract? Will he motivate his players under the lights?

If yes to all we should be good. If not this year than soon, because this year i worry about talent more than previous years.

Reply/Quote