Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can a HC have long-term success under the Bengals structure?
(10-18-2019, 09:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we know that coaches have to scout college and NFL free agents. Evaluate the roster. Create the playbook. Structure practices. Hire assistants. Gameplan. Coach, etc. It's a huge ask to have all those skills at a high level in 1 person. Plus, we know they don't rely heavily on free agency and covet comp picks.

For teams with average GM/Scouting functions coaches can focus on playbook, gameplanning, and coaching. This seems like more of a realistic ask.

For the Bengals, say a HC was really innovative and a good coach...but bad at drafting - It would be hard to succeed. They'd also likely look like a mediocre HC due to lack of players.

Is it possible to have a HC succeed long-term here?  Can 1 person excel in all of the categories that the Bengals demand of a HC?

Marvin Lewis is the only coach to put up a winning record under Mike Brown.

It took the lost decade to find Marvin. But I don't see fans hanging on for a second decade of inept front office decisions.

PBS is going to just get emptier and emptier.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:25 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Marvin Lewis is the only coach to put up a winning record under Mike Brown.

It took the lost decade to find Marvin. But I don't see fans hanging on for a second decade of inept front office decisions.

PBS is going to just get emptier and emptier.

I've thought it many times in the past, this is gonna be the season that forces MB into action. Remember the off season what 5 or 6 years ago when Marvin was talking all big splash free agency ? MB got out the band-aid box again.

Could this season finally be the one that causes him to see the light thru the empty seats ?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:40 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've thought it many times in the past, this is gonna be the season that forces MB into action. Remember the off season what 5 or 6 years ago when Marvin was talking all big splash free agency ? MB got out the band-aid box again.

Could this season finally be the one that causes him to see the light thru the empty seats ?

I keep hoping, but it never happens. Mike Brown is content with signing the Hart's of the world and even then he overpays. It's like agents demand a premium to entertain offers from Mike Brown.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yes and those two were feasible non pipe dream signings.

Those were the kind of Free Agency types the Bengals could have done to impact.

I'm right there with you on Dansby.

Too little too late.

Could've had some prime years from him yet we got his declined time instead.

I remember the Falcons signed Mack and went to the SB and their GM was talking about how he never really valued Centers, then saw what Mack did and it opened up amazing avenues for the offense.

In hindsight, they should have paid Zeitler. Who cares that he would have been the highest paid Guard? We saved cap space so we could overpay guys like Hart.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yes and those two were feasible non pipe dream signings.

Those were the kind of Free Agency types the Bengals could have done to impact.

I'm right there with you on Dansby.

Too little too late.

Could've had some prime years from him yet we got his declined time instead.

Exactly my man, those are the type of FA acquisitions a lot of is have clamored for for YEARS.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 03:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I remember the Falcons signed Mack and went to the SB and their GM was talking about how he never really valued Centers, then saw what Mack did and it opened up amazing avenues for the offense.

In hindsight, they should have paid Zeitler. Who cares that he would have been the highest paid Guard? We saved cap space so we could overpay guys like Hart.

Right, and then the cap goes up, and two years in, you're not paying that high of a price. It's pretty frickin simple.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:40 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've thought it many times in the past, this is gonna be the season that forces MB into action. Remember the off season what 5 or 6 years ago when Marvin was talking all big splash free agency ? MB got out the band-aid box again.

Yeah. Remember how Marvin's contract was up and he wanted a practice bubble and say in free agency. Might be the same thing you're talking about.

After 28 years of no playoff wins, I doubt it.

The Bengals management doesn't really do interviews...but when Troy Blackburn spoke about the Bobby Hart signing...it reeked of 'We know what we're doing and are smarter than you.' I doubt they change over this.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 04:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right, and then the cap goes up, and two years in, you're not paying that high of a price. It's pretty frickin simple.

Yes! I posed a thread about this and I recall me, you, and Shake discussing it.

The cap rises EVERY year. So a guy that makes $10 million a year this year, is equivalent to a guy making say $7.5 million, 3 or 4 years ago.

The whole Zeitler thing was a mess. Had the Bengals offered Zeitler say $7 million a year BEFOR DeCastro signed, he may have signed. Reports were they offered him around what Boling made...which was really low.
Reply/Quote
How long has it been since this team won a playoff game??? Are you kidding me?Almost 3 decades.And still there’s no sense of urgency.Think about that for a while. At the pace this team is going things could get really ugly before this season is over.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 09:14 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: How long has it been since this team won a playoff game??? Are you kidding me?Almost 3 decades.And still there’s no sense of urgency.Think about that for a while. At the pace this team is going things could get really ugly before this season is over.

Honestly, I feel like 2-3 wins would be considered a successful season from where they're at now.
Reply/Quote
I dunno..maybe if the entire city were to pray collectively all at the same time, but I suppose one would have to actually believe that the power of prayer actually works and that any such god being prayed to actually liked Cincinnati and the Bengals. 
Personally I wouldn't bet the farm on such an endeavor.. I think the better option would be to take up a collection throughout the region to bribe NFL officials. 
The handbills would read: "Please contribute every penny you have to bribe the NFL so the Bengals can get a fair shot at winning even if it's illegal and unethical. It's our only chance!" Oh, and don't forget to contribute to the coverup fund!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote