Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can he catch the ball?
Did you know?

Driskell started his first college game at Florida lined up at WR. He finished the game at QB.

Driskell broke Tim Tebow's single game quarterback rushing record at Florida with 177 yards.

Driskell was draft by the Boston Red Sox in 2013
Reply/Quote
Driskel would be a long shot to make the team as a WR.

Green, Boyd, Ross, Malone, Core, Erickson, Willis, Morgan. That is 8 and they may keep 7 on the 53 because of Green.

Edit: Forgot Auden Tate that makes 9.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
NFL teams have been converting athletic college QBs to other positions for years.

Drew Bennett played QB at UCLA but as a WR for the Titans in 2004 he caught 80 passes for 1257 yards and 11 tds.

Scott Frost won the Heisman Award as a QB for Nebraska in 1997 but played DB in the NFL for 5 seasons.

Steelers WR Antwaan Randle El was a 4 year starter at QB at Indiana. In his 8 year NFL career he completed 23 of 30 passes for 366 yards and 7 tds (including a 43 yarder in the '05 Super Bowl)

Terrelle Pryor had 1007 receiving yards for the Browns in '16.

Brad Smith was a 4 year starter at QB at Missouri, but in the NFL he only had 1 passing td. However he had 4 rushing, 5 receiving, and 5 returning kicks.

I am sure some of you guys know more examples.
Reply/Quote
I just see this as Taylor and Company seeing if Driskel has enough gadget play potential to be worth keeping as a QB3.

They've been working him on ST's, too. If he can handle personal protector duties, it could be a huge advantage for the Bengals. You'd have the threat of a direct snap RPO on every punt.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: NFL teams have been converting athletic college QBs to other positions for years.

Drew Bennett played QB at UCLA but as a WR for the Titans in 2004 he caught 80 passes for 1257 yards and 11 tds.

Scott Frost won the Heisman Award as a QB for Nebraska in 1997 but played DB in the NFL for 5 seasons.

Steelers WR Antwaan Randle El was a 4 year starter at QB at Indiana.  In his 8 year NFL career he completed 23 of 30 passes for 366 yards and 7 tds (including a 43 yarder in the '05 Super Bowl)

Terrelle Pryor had 1007 receiving yards for the Browns in '16.

Brad Smith was a 4 year starter at QB at Missouri, but in the NFL he only had 1 passing td.  However he had 4 rushing, 5 receiving, and 5 returning kicks.

I am sure some of you guys know more examples.

There were several college QB's converted to safeties in the NFL back in the day.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 03:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There were several college QB's converted to safeties in the NFL back in the day.

Ken Riley was a QB at some small college.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 03:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There were several college QB's converted to safeties in the NFL back in the day.

(08-14-2019, 04:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ken Riley was a QB at some small college.

Paul Brown was an innovator and known for doing this. Both Lamar Parrish and Isaac Curtis were RBs in college.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Is it too soon to give Driskel the 2019 "GOLDEN BINNS" award? Technically he isn't eligible for it until someone compares him to a HOF WR or it is postulated that he could cause opposing DC's NIGHTMARES or that he could be UNCOVERABLE.

Stay tuned!
Reply/Quote
It really opens up the 46 man gameday roster and gives flexibility when the backup QB can do things other than hold a clipboard. Finley would be inactive for every game that Dalton and Driskel are healthy for and it isnt a bad thing for a rookie QB to have a season to develop with no pressure.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 10:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Player A:

6'5", 228 lbs, 33.75" arms, 4.68 forty, 112" Broad, 31" vert, 9.375" hands

Player B:

6'4", 234 lbs, 33.50" arms, 4.56 forty, 122" Broad, 32" vert, 9.75" hands

Player A: Auden Tate

Player B: Jeff Driskel

So if I am reading this post right, they are both going to be offseason/preseason-HoF WRs?

Ryan Whalen and Dezmon Briscoe will have their orange-and-black striped jackets and a hearty handshake waiting for them.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 10:34 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Ross is shaking in his boots knowing Driskel is now a hybrid WR/QB.
By the looks of it Ross stock will not drop till he comes into a game and plays so anyone in his ear is telling him to ride the pine till the season starts. As long as he does not fall down the depth chart there is no reason for him to go into a game where his stock could drop by playing poorly.
Reply/Quote
Not really surprised about the move. Driskel’s chances of making the roster were pretty much over when Finely was drafted. With the amount of injuries it’s hard to keep 3 qb’s on the active roster and the Bengals wouldn’t cut a 4th round pick in his rookie year. Finely would get picked up immediately if he was put on the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 02:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is not true at all.

We had RBs who never caught passes (Benson, BJGE) but when we drafted Gio we started throwing more to our RBs.

We had TEs that never caught passes (Kelly, Foshie, Coats) but when we drafted Gresham we started throwing a bunch of TE screens, and then when we drafted Eifert we started throwing downfield to the TE.

These are adjustments made to the scheme from year-to-year, which have happened. 
The issues are mid-season and mid-game adjustments based on the skill set of the backups filling in for the starters and if the opposing defense/offense is dominating.

To use the Patriots as a good example of doing the right thing, they would go to Gronk often but if he was hurt or getting covered really well, they'd start prioritizing the WRs or the running game. They have been able to make these changes week-to-week and even mid-game.
I haven't noticed the Bengals being able to adjust this well in years past. We'll see if Taylor is able.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 04:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So if I am reading this post right, they are both going to be offseason/preseason-HoF WRs?

Ryan Whalen and Dezmon Briscoe will have their orange-and-black striped jackets and a hearty handshake waiting for them.

Don't you forget Kumerow….!!!!
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 05:02 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: By the looks of it Ross stock will not drop till he comes into a game and plays so anyone in his ear is telling him to ride the pine till the season starts. As long as he does not fall down the depth chart there is no reason for him to go into a game where his stock could drop by playing poorly.

That's the Bob Ucker way of thinking.  Stay in the bullpen and hide as long as you can, because as soon as you're in the game they're gonna know you need fired.

I don't know exactly what is going on, but it's not hard to spin a narrative where Ross doesn't care about practicing and only cares to catch the ball if he's in the endzone. Most selfish player ever? Rumors abound!
Reply/Quote
If Driskell tears it up in preseason and shows he can produce then fine let him have a spot. If he is just a project that might turn into something someday then cut him we are not a playoff team we do not have the luxury of carrying a project on the 53.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 06:04 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: If Driskell tears it up in preseason and shows he can produce then fine let him have a spot. If he is just a project that might turn into something someday then cut him we are not a playoff team we do not have the luxury of carrying a project on the 53.

That's the thing about all this. Does it knock a better WR, RB, TE or whatever off the team, is it really worth it ?
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 06:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's the thing about all this. Does it knock a better WR, RB, TE or whatever off the team, is it really worth it ?

we are going to be talking about the last guy at his spot.... 6th or 7th WR....  who is not likely to see the field much on offense at all.. and most his work will be done on Special teams.

If driskel can gun and block better on STs than   and has the upside of emergency qb…  that would raise his value over a guy that would be inactive on game days cause he doesn't play special teams.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 12:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tannehill is heads and shoulders what Driskel has been and will ever be as a QB.

I meant as a WR...Did you know that Tannehill played WR in college?
Reply/Quote
If there's really anything to Driskel playing WR, or contributing in multiple ways, we should see something in "live action" as soon as tomorrow evening.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote