Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can history repeat itself?
In 2008 the Bengals had a starting QB in his prime who had been to 2 Pro Bowls and finished in the top 5 in MVP voting. The Bengals were struggling even before Palmer was injured and were 0-5 when they benched him for the year due to a torn ligament in his elbow. Their back up that year had a career 0-3 record and the lowest QB rating of any QB in the league with over 100 attempts (58.3). But The team rallied and finished 4-6-1. That back up QB went on to start 147 NFL games throwing for almost 35,000 yards and 223 tds (31 in 2015). Could Browning be another Ryan Fitzpatrick?
Reply/Quote
I think I’m missing something. What are we hoping for in this repeat history scenario?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 12:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think I’m missing something. What are we hoping for in this repeat history scenario?

A journeyman QB to have a few good games?
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 11:50 AM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: In 2008 the Bengals had a starting QB in his prime who had been to 2 Pro Bowls and finished in the top 5 in MVP voting.  The Bengals were struggling even before Palmer was injured and were 0-5 when they benched him for the year due to a torn ligament in his elbow.  Their back up that year had a career 0-3 record and the lowest QB rating of any QB in the league with over 100 attempts (58.3).  But The team rallied and finished 4-6-1.  That back up QB went on to start 147 NFL games throwing for almost 35,000 yards and 223 tds (31 in 2015).  Could Browning be another Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Palmer was also injured because of a horrible offensive line.

It would be incredible if we could win some games just because, yes, it might hurt our draft position, but I'd rather see us put up some Ws and not be the complete joke of the NFL.

I also have Chase in fantasy and, if he's putting up big games, it helps me and also has to help the team.

Realistically, though, losing more would definitely help us because of the draft.

It's also a dangerous mindset to have a locker room that gets used to losing, but I think Burrow would rally the team in the offseason and get the mindset back to where it needs to be.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 12:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Palmer was also injured because of a horrible offensive line.

Not unless you claim every QB injury is due to the o-line.

Palmer had elite pass protection his first 4 seasons as a starter ('04-'07).  He took a beating in that Giants game when he got injured, but it was just the third game of the season.  So it was not like he had been worn down over his career by excessive sacks.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't last year's team 5-4 at this time and ended up in AFC championship game?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 02:06 PM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: Not unless you claim every QB injury is due to the o-line.

Palmer had elite pass protection his first 4 seasons as a starter ('04-'07).  He took a beating in that Giants game when he got injured, but it was just the third game of the season.  So it was not like he had been worn down over his career by excessive sacks.
If I remember correctly, wasn't that after we let Whitworth walk?

I'm also pretty sure he took a beating in the games prior to the Giants game, even if he wasn't sacked.

Regardless, if you have a bad line, and then your QB is hurt due to a defensive linemen's pressure, that's the line's fault.

It wasn't like a rare occurrence. It was only a matter of time before he was hurt.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 12:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Palmer was also injured because of a horrible offensive line.

It would be incredible if we could win some games just because, yes, it might hurt our draft position, but I'd rather see us put up some Ws and not be the complete joke of the NFL.

I also have Chase in fantasy and, if he's putting up big games, it helps me and also has to help the team.

Realistically, though, losing more would definitely help us because of the draft.

It's also a dangerous mindset to have a locker room that gets used to losing, but I think Burrow would rally the team in the offseason and get the mindset back to where it needs to be.

I understand the mindset the line needs to improve to help Burrow  but  you cant really blame the line directly   for this year injuries  "calf and wrist" , besides other QBs have played with bad lines and not been so injured in their early careers .  Sacks are one main metric used in protecting QB , here are a list of HOF to very Good QBs in top 10 sacks per game (100 min) that played 10 years or more : Stafford, Rogers, Moon,Elway, Big Ben, Ryan, Anderson., i think Bengal fans would be happy with the success of those QBs for a decadepr more. Maybe besides improving line, Burrow bulk up to help to stay more healthy.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 12:24 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: If I remember correctly, wasn't that after we let Whitworth walk?

I'm also pretty sure he took a beating in the games prior to the Giants game, even if he wasn't sacked.

Regardless, if you have a bad line, and then your QB is hurt due to a defensive linemen's pressure, that's the line's fault.

It wasn't like a rare occurrence. It was only a matter of time before he was hurt.

Whit was on the team like 5-6 years after Palmer left. Whit anchored the 2015 bengals OL .
Reply/Quote
History repeating itself? We're hoping Browning will be terrible (like Fitzpatrick was), but go on to have a nice career elsewhere?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 11:50 AM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: In 2008 the Bengals had a starting QB in his prime who had been to 2 Pro Bowls and finished in the top 5 in MVP voting. The Bengals were struggling even before Palmer was injured and were 0-5 when they benched him for the year due to a torn ligament in his elbow. Their back up that year had a career 0-3 record and the lowest QB rating of any QB in the league with over 100 attempts (58.3). But The team rallied and finished 4-6-1. That back up QB went on to start 147 NFL games throwing for almost 35,000 yards and 223 tds (31 in 2015). Could Browning be another Ryan Fitzpatrick?

4-7-1 from what i can see in 2008, lost the first three games, but won the last three games..
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 03:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 4-7-1 from what i can see in 2008, lost the first three games, but won the last three games..

Palmer, who some fans have called "soft" just sat out one game after suffering the injury in a game against the Giants where he was sacked 6 times.  He came back and threw 39 passes against the Cowboys in week 5 before shutting it down for surgery.

So Fitzpatricks overall record was 4-7-1, but 4-6-1 after Palmer went on IR.
Reply/Quote
Fitz was a curse to starting QB’s. Whatever team signed him they went down to injury that year. Like clockwork.

You saying maybe Brownings powers are growing? He’s what’s drained Burrow the last 3 years, and he’s finally mastered the curse?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
OP getting derided, but in a way he's got a point.

We were bad in 08. Palmer went out, and we started 0-8. 0-16 didn't even seem unreasonable as we weren't good, and were relying on a backup QB to find a win. A win at PBS over the Jags got that off our backs, but couldn't have been optimsitic for many more wins.

That 2nd half of the season we went 4-3-1, winning our last 3 to do ourselves out of the #1 pick (think we ended up picking 5th and it was Andre Smith?).

But the next year... was the 6-0 in the AFC North year, where Cedric Benson and the Cardiac Cats ran the table with some proper AFCN football.

While Fitzmagic did us out of the #1 pick, I've always thought that 3 game winning streak was pivotal to the success we had the next year. Sometimes building a winning feeling is more important than a higher pick.

To be honest I don't think it applies as much with our current roster, as a lot of them were winning a lot these past 2 years anyway. But we don't want to start next year, as a Super Bowl hopeful, trying to snap a losing streak.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 12:10 PM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: Palmer, who some fans have called "soft" just sat out one game after suffering the injury in a game against the Giants where he was sacked 6 times.  He came back and threw 39 passes against the Cowboys in week 5 before shutting it down for surgery.

So Fitzpatricks overall record was 4-7-1, but 4-6-1 after Palmer went on IR.

He never had surgery on that elbow, nor did he go on IR.  He basically stayed week to week for the whole season, saying give it time instead of having it surgically repaired.
Reply/Quote