Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone explain to me...
Why we take out Geno for long periods of time for no apperant reason?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2015, 03:16 AM)J24 Wrote: Why we take out Geno for long periods of time for no apperant reason?

I'm not exactly sure.  Why were we rotating Burfict and Maualuga with V Rey and Lamur.  Every time they gashed us for a decent run it was with Lamur and V Rey in.  Also they kept throwing to their TE when Lamur and V Rey are in.  Hawk is twice the Lb as those two and doesn't see but one or two series.  Our Des in coverage...stunts with Dunlap going up the middle.  

Now even though the defense wasn't the problem it's hard to look past Guenther's boneheaded play calling.  But what can you expect from a DC who was the position coach of our weakest position on defense.  Without Burfict we have the weakest LB corp in all of football.  Peko and Sims at DT during passing downs and empty backfields.  

Marvin, Hue, and Guenther are going to piss this talent away if they don't get their heads out of their asses.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2015, 03:56 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: Marvin, Hue, and Guenther are going to piss this talent away if they don't get their heads out of their asses.

Marvin has been pissing away talent for over a decade.  Unless you don't happen to think it's a bit telling that he's the only NFL head coach who happened to have 2 of 2015's best QBs for most of the past decade and managed 0 playoff wins.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Our DL was coming out in all sorts of crazy sets. Third and long, obvious pass-rushing situation, and we have Peko and Sims in there together. Result: Hoyer runs for 15 yards. WTF?
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2015, 03:56 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: I'm not exactly sure.  Why were we rotating Burfict and Maualuga with V Rey and Lamur.  Every time they gashed us for a decent run it was with Lamur and V Rey in.  Also they kept throwing to their TE when Lamur and V Rey are in.  Hawk is twice the Lb as those two and doesn't see but one or two series.  Our Des in coverage...stunts with Dunlap going up the middle.  

Now even though the defense wasn't the problem it's hard to look past Guenther's boneheaded play calling.  But what can you expect from a DC who was the position coach of our weakest position on defense.  Without Burfict we have the weakest LB corp in all of football.  Peko and Sims at DT during passing downs and empty backfields.  

Marvin, Hue, and Guenther are going to piss this talent away if they don't get their heads out of their asses.

Rey and Lamur are our nickel linebackers, and are on the field on most obvious passing downs (third and long). 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2015, 03:56 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: I'm not exactly sure.  Why were we rotating Burfict and Maualuga with V Rey and Lamur.  Every time they gashed us for a decent run it was with Lamur and V Rey in.  Also they kept throwing to their TE when Lamur and V Rey are in.  Hawk is twice the Lb as those two and doesn't see but one or two series.  Our Des in coverage...stunts with Dunlap going up the middle.  

The defense gave up a whopping 10 points.  I don't think you can pin this one on Guenther and the D, they were on the field all night.  Please.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2015, 10:54 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: The defense gave up a whopping 10 points.  I don't think you can pin this one on Guenther and the D, they were on the field all night.  Please.

I did not pin this on the defense.  I just said the play calling and substitutions were terrible on both sides.  Had we been facing a real NFL offense things would have been ugly.  The talent on the defensive side was able to overcome Paulie's joke of a scheme.  But had Paulie called a solid game we would have pressured the QB more and possibly into making mistakes.  Instead he did all sorts of stunts with our d-line.  Dunlap is a straight up edge rusher and he had him all over the place.  Atkins not in on quite a few passing downs.  Just doesn't make sense.  
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2015, 10:54 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: The defense gave up a whopping 10 points.  I don't think you can pin this one on Guenther and the D, they were on the field all night.  Please.
They let TJ freaking Yates beat us AGAIN. 

Interesting stat of the day: TJ Yates has 4 career TDs. Care to guess where 3 of those 4 TDs was against?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

Guenther was also the guy that coached up burfict and got him ready to play after the howard injury... Not sure how you can bash a guy whos unit is only giving up 10 points a game.

This on is on hue and the offense
Reply/Quote
We had some crazy looks on defense last night, if you noticed Dre K also sat out a series.

Carter played a snap or two at DE as did Margus Hunt??? Why Hunt was in is anyones guess.

I dont mind rotating guys to keep them fresh at all but some series left you scratching your head. And as others have said you can't complain when your D gives up 10 points!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2015, 12:18 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: I did not pin this on the defense.  I just said the play calling and substitutions were terrible on both sides.  Had we been facing a real NFL offense things would have been ugly.  The talent on the defensive side was able to overcome Paulie's joke of a scheme.  But had Paulie called a solid game we would have pressured the QB more and possibly into making mistakes.  Instead he did all sorts of stunts with our d-line.  Dunlap is a straight up edge rusher and he had him all over the place.  Atkins not in on quite a few passing downs.  Just doesn't make sense.  

I'll give you that!  The Bengals showed the LB pressure in the A gaps and then switched out all the time.  I think it got to a point where the QB knew they weren't coming and trusted his DL to pick up the Bengal 3 or 4 pass rushers. 

Look, I'm all for getting pressure with 4 DL's if possible but in a game like that you need to blitz to try and force some mistakes.
Reply/Quote

They were not on the field all night.  I remember at least twice Gruden saying "I can't believe Geno Atkins is not on the field right now". This loss is definitely on the offense, but both sides of the ball did some strange stuff last night... it's almost like they are out thinking themselves.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2015, 01:08 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: They were not on the field all night.  I remember at least twice Gruden saying "I can't believe Geno Atkins is not on the field right now". This loss is definitely on the offense, but both sides of the ball did some strange stuff last night... it's almost like they are out thinking themselves.

Exactly this!
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2015, 12:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Guenther was also the guy that coached up burfict and got him ready to play after the howard injury... Not sure how you can bash a guy whos unit is only giving up 10 points a game.

This on is on hue and the offense

LOL.  Guenther coached Burfict up.  Guess he gave up when it came to the other linebackers.  Burfict is a one of kind talent because of his football instincts.  This isn't anything Guenther had anything to do with.  

My problem with Guenther is that he called a horrendous game.  He had guys consistently out of position all game.  
Reply/Quote
Because we want to keep him fresh with our DL rotation. No one hated the rotation under Zimmer. They lauded it. They loved it. They wanted to marry it like he invented the damn thing.

The only difference under Paul is, we have the exact same players we did under Zimmer....just older and less skilled now.
We have failed to upgrade the DL with quality pieces so when we rotate, it just means the DL is shit when Geno leaves the field.
Reply/Quote
This is stupid to talk about the defense. What ever they were doing on D worked. They gave up 10 points after Houston started a lot of drives at the 35-40. I don't care how it gets done, just as long as they don't get to many points put up on them
Reply/Quote
Because Phat Sims is pretty good and we want to keep our D-linemen fresh.

According to PFF, Sims was our 3 best player last night (behind both Safeties) and our leader in stops.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Sports is always fascinating in how a collection of people can watch the same game or team, and see things so radically different.

While I think a defensive play or two last night bothered me (dropping Dunlap into coverage on third and long really got under my skin!), I don't get the Guenther bashing at all. The Bengals are currently the #1 scoring defense in the NFL. That's not a product of bad scheme or lousy play calling.

The dude has room to grow in those areas, but he's still getting top shelf results.
Reply/Quote