Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone please explain the Ross benching last game?
(09-20-2017, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm starting to fear that Ross isn't ready to play. In his limited preseason action, they seem to use him exclusively on reverses. Then they bench him after a fumble on a reverse.

The fumble itself was a guy that put his helmet on the ball...not Ross failing to secure the ball.

Either they were being extremely hard on him...or he's not ready to play due to limited camp action.

If this team is willing to sink or swim with Ogbuehi and Fisher, they need to also suck it up and give Ross some time.
Barring some miracle turnaround, this season is and always was going to be a grooming season, so may as well give Ross some valuable playing time.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 02:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If this team is willing to sink or swim with Ogbuehi and Fisher, they need to also suck it up and give Ross some time.
Barring some miracle turnaround, this season has and always was going to be a grooming season, so may as well give Ross some valuable playing time.

That's what leads me to believe that maybe he isn't as ready to contribute in the Pros as we were lead to believe. I mean in the preseason, why only feature him on end arounds?

Hopefully he gets out there and shows he can catch and contribute soon.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 02:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's what leads me to believe that maybe he isn't as ready to contribute in the Pros as we were lead to believe. I mean in the preseason, why only feature him on end arounds?

Because our offensive coordinator was stupid.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 12:11 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: yeah because he isn't one of the most electric players on our team, and couldn't have broke free at any time. we didn't lose by 40 we lost by 4, one big play could've changed the game but yeah he wouldn't have made an impact

I'm not sure we have the right to call him an "electric player" yet.  Hopefully, he becomes one, but he's barely into his rookie year, and we've seen a single snap from him (which resulted in the other team getting the ball).  I've seen this happen too many times, where a player looks like he could be great out of college, then comes to the NFL and fizzles away into nothing.  If he's one of the most electric players on the team, it's because we have very little electricity.

Could he have helped?  Sure.  But as long as the O-line is playing as badly as it is, there aren't very many receivers in the NFL that could play here and make a big difference.  The QB can't get them the ball.

Maybe the new OC will be able to do something with him....
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Supposedly, the "benching" was Zampese's idea. However, Marvin is more of a CEO-style coach so I don't see why he couldn't just overrule Zamp and get Ross back in there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Marv's call and Zamp took the heat for it. I remember our game against the Steelers in 2010. Andre committed a penalty and Marvin went off. Pulled him and inserted Roland at RT. Roland's first snap resulted in Palmer getting sacked. Camera pans back to Marvin and he just looks embarrassed.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 02:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's what leads me to believe that maybe he isn't as ready to contribute in the Pros as we were lead to believe. I mean in the preseason, why only feature him on end arounds?

(09-20-2017, 03:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Because our offensive coordinator was stupid.

According to Boyd, Zamp's offense was way too convulted/confusing. Maybe Ross's limit to end arounds was due to him not picking up said convultion. If Ross sees more action under Lazor, I think it would be safe to assume that that was the case.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 12:11 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: yeah because he isn't one of the most electric players on our team, and couldn't have broke free at any time. we didn't lose by 40 we lost by 4, one big play could've changed the game but yeah he wouldn't have made an impact

Losing by 4 points is a big deal when you can only score an average of 4.5 a week.

(09-20-2017, 04:45 PM)PhilHos Wrote: According to Boyd, Zamp's offense was way too convulted/confusing. Maybe Ross's limit to end arounds was due to him not picking up said convultion. If Ross sees more action under Lazor, I think it would be safe to assume that that was the case.

The Baltimore Ravens sure didn't seem to have a hard time understanding our offense.
Reply/Quote
My problem with the benching was that they guy put his helmet right on the ball. It wasn't like Ross was holding it loosely. There was nothing Ross would learn from being disciplined.

On the other side of the coin...with the offense struggling, it's curious that coaches would bench a guy with game changing speed. Like if Randy Moss as a rookie fumbled, I think no coach would bench him.
Reply/Quote
I think either Ross is...

A. Still injured, so Marvin is trying limit him and hide the fact that he's still injured or...

B. Not Ready, I think it's this one. How many times have we even seen Ross run a route? I think he had one catch, the rest have been stupid sweeps. I just think he's not ready and doesn't know the offense yet, or they didn't even want to confuse him with Zamp crazy offense. That's the only reasons I can give for why Erickson is playing more than him. He's just not ready. Blame injuries, blame coaching.

It's not that unusual to not see a high WR pick not getting playing time. Look at Treadwell, Doctson etc. as high as he was drafted it's hard to make a case why he's not playing more but it happens. Beside this team has bigger things to worry about right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 04:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My problem with the benching was that they guy put his helmet right on the ball. It wasn't like Ross was holding it loosely. There was nothing Ross would learn from being disciplined.

On the other side of the coin...with the offense struggling, it's curious that coaches would bench a guy with game changing speed. Like if Randy Moss as a rookie fumbled, I think no coach would bench him.

I'll agree it was more bad luck than anything that led to the fumble, but after our performance in game 1 I can understand why tolerance for turning the ball over would be pretty low at the time.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 02:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Two words. Marvin Lewis. Or shit truck. They are interchangable.

Remember jordan evans playing his ass off. Zero defensive snaps. Williams back with one arm? Give Fej zero snaps. Just out right deactivate Boyd our second roind pick proclaimed by the teams own website to be one of the most improved. Struggling OL? give zero snaps to Andre or Westerman.

Absolute garbage clueless shithead running the show.

This. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 04:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My problem with the benching was that they guy put his helmet right on the ball. It wasn't like Ross was holding it loosely. There was nothing Ross would learn from being disciplined.

Marvin Lewis: "Hold my beer!"
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 02:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Two words. Marvin Lewis. Or shit truck. They are interchangable.

Remember jordan evans playing his ass off. Zero defensive snaps. Williams back with one arm? Give Fej zero snaps. Just out right deactivate Boyd our second roind pick proclaimed by the teams own website to be one of the most improved. Struggling OL? give zero snaps to Andre or Westerman.

Absolute garbage clueless shithead running the show.

Agree, the Oline plays historically bad and none get benched. I think the fumble which was just a good play is almost just coincidental to an extent he was going to be very limited anyway, the fumble was just their excuse. He's just not ready.
Reply/Quote
I don't get it. Marvin is talking about guys being on the hot seat and how they could be replaced, but we keep trotting out Ced, Fisher, and Bodine every game without fail. I have no idea why they're holding Ross back, but there's absolutely no reason to. If we're going to continue with this shittastic OLine, might as well let Ross and Mixon take every snap. We know Hill isn't going to be coming back and if Ross shows promise, I'm sure Brown would love to save some money cutting LaFell next season. Let them play.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 06:25 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Agree, the Oline plays historically bad and none get benched. I think the fumble which was just a good play is almost just coincidental to an extent he was going to be very limited anyway, the fumble was just their excuse. He's just not ready.

Sitting on the bench doesn't get them ready either. Dennard is a good example.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 06:33 PM)Derrick Wrote: Sitting on the bench doesn't get them ready either. Dennard is a good example.

No it doesn't but I can care less about who's on the bench, it's who's on the field. Just dosent make sense why a rookie top 10 pick would be on a short leash but these clowns on the Oline are not. Is Westerman, Redmond and Toner that bad. It has to be due to Ross just not being ready. Which leads to the question why.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 05:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll agree it was more bad luck than anything that led to the fumble, but after our performance in game 1 I can understand why tolerance for turning the ball over would be pretty low at the time.

At what point do they say then...maybe playing a top 10 pick with combine shattering speed can help us win better than an undrafted free agent WR that doesn't really play in normal offense?
Reply/Quote
Reason why we need to clean house!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 06:57 PM)TKUHL Wrote: No it doesn't but I can care less about who's on the bench, it's who's on the field. Just dosent make sense why a rookie top 10 pick would be on a short leash but these clowns on the Oline are not. Is Westerman, Redmond and Toner that bad. It has to be due to Ross just not being ready. Which leads to the question why.

For the offensive line...I have no clue why they aren't starting Andre Smith at Tackle.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 10:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: For the offensive line...I have no clue why they aren't starting Andre Smith at Tackle.

Or at least give him a look.  The power of PA on this team is displayed over and over again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote