Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't get interested.
I'm not sure if it's just me getting older? If it's only knowing like 10 names on the team? If it's just too early in the season? If it's all the rules changes? If it's knowing that most likely this team has a tiny, tiny chance of being relevant this summer? All of the above?

But watching like 2 innings is my limit so far this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll give the Reds a chance to succeed. Who knows? Maybe the new guys will do great. They are winning today. But, it is the Pirates.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 07:10 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'll give the Reds a chance to succeed. Who knows? Maybe the new guys will do great. They are winning today. But, it is the Pirates.

I should have kept watching I guess. I dunno? perhaps it will start growing on me.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 06:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not sure if it's just me getting older? If it's only knowing like 10 names on the team? If it's just too early in the season? If it's all the rules changes? If it's knowing that most likely this team has a tiny, tiny chance of being relevant this summer? All of the above?

I feel you. I don't love following the team so much anymore. Is it age? Is it too much losing? Not sure. I just cannot get into Reds games.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 06:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not sure if it's just me getting older? If it's only knowing like 10 names on the team? If it's just too early in the season? If it's all the rules changes? If it's knowing that most likely this team has a tiny, tiny chance of being relevant this summer? All of the above?

Man i'm right there with you...my username is literally basballguy lol....I think my passion mostly left when Larkin retired.  Fortunately is coincided with the rise of the Bengals so I just pivoted most of my passion to the Bengals.  When they became mediocre after those early 2010s I ended up losing all interest.  

Winning creates interest....you throw enough losing seasons together (excluding the Covid season) and it's just so hard to invest time and emotion into a losing team.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I wanna be interested, but I have other things to keep my interest these days and I'm not out on the baseball field behind mom and dad's house from sunup till sundown anymore..That part left the building in 7th grade when they moved.. Sad
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Man it's like the Godfather. I try to leave, but they just pull me back in. What else am I going to watch until September? Law and Order, despite the dramatic greatness of Ice-T, get old.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 12:04 AM)samhain Wrote: Man it's like the Godfather.  I try to leave, but they just pull me back in.  What else am I going to watch until September?  Law and Order, despite the dramatic greatness of Ice-T, get old.

I know what you mean. I guess part of my disinterest is being afraid it will be for nothing. 15 games out May 20th.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 10:36 PM)basballguy Wrote: Man i'm right there with you...my username is literally basballguy lol....I think my passion mostly left when Larkin retired.  Fortunately is coincided with the rise of the Bengals so I just pivoted most of my passion to the Bengals.  When they became mediocre after those early 2010s I ended up losing all interest.  

Winning creates interest....you throw enough losing seasons together (excluding the Covid season) and it's just so hard to invest time and emotion into a losing team.  

Right

What was it 2013 their last decent season? It's been a decade now with only a couple minor hiccups on the we suck meter.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 08:15 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I know what you mean. I guess part of my disinterest is being afraid it will be for nothing. 15 games out May 20th.

Fear not! The Reds haven’t been this many games above .500 since starting 1-0 last season! Maybe this year will be different lol.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Nobody enjoys watching bad baseball. It's a sport built around the anticipation of your players performing very well (at any moment, this game can be flipped on its head with the single swing of a bat). If they don't, then there's quite literally nothing to watch.

The good news is the Reds have some building blocks that are genuinely enjoyable to watch. It's only been two games, but Jonathan India and Tyler Stevenson both look very comfortable (and impactful) at the plate, Spencer Steer has some upside that we've yet to see. Greene and Lodolo are striking players out a ton of batters (granted, they're also not going deep in games, but it has been just 1 start each so far) and we have some really exciting prospects coming up soon.

For anyone who has watched the two Pirates games so far, or at least watched highlights, The Pirates' Oniel Cruz is a very common comparison for Elly De La Cruz. Super tall (6'7") infield prospect with all 5 tools and many ways to get on base. In two games, we've seen Oniel Cruz homer, walk twice, hit a dribbler to the left and run it out, get a sac fly RBI, get a hit with one hand on the bat and go 1st to 3rd on a shallow single (and the throw wasn't close). This is what we have to look forward to in EDLC.

The Reds should be more enjoyable to watch later in the season or maybe in 2024. I am going to do my best to enjoy the development of these players, hoping the Reds don't cheap us out of a legitimate contending window with all these young guys coming up at the same time.
Reply/Quote
FIRST PLACE in the DIVISION!  Which to be fair is like the excitement you felt the first time your sister pecked you on the cheek..  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 05:44 PM)grampahol Wrote: FIRST PLACE in the DIVISION!  Which to be fair is like the excitement you felt the first time your sister pecked you on the cheek..  Mellow

woot
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 08:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

What was it 2013 their last decent season? It's been a decade now with only a couple minor hiccups on the we suck meter.

The Reds made the playoffs in 2020 during Covid. Lost though.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 11:11 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The Reds made the playoffs in 2020 during Covid. Lost though.

Yep, that's one of the small hiccups on the we suck meter.
Reply/Quote
Viking hat and costume is kind of funny after the HR's.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 12:47 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Viking hat and costume is kind of funny after the HR's.

Yep. I like it
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 04:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep. I like it

Maybe we get to see Matt McClain in Cincinnati with Barerro out.  
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 10:03 PM)samhain Wrote: Maybe we get to see Matt McClain in Cincinnati with Barerro out.  

What happened to him ? I'm beginning to have serious doubts he's ever going to be able to hit ML pitching anyways?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 06:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What happened to him ? I'm beginning to have serious doubts he's ever going to be able to hit ML pitching anyways?

Hamstring.  They say he's fine but those are tricky. 

Bell needs to stop moving these guys around.  I have to think putting him in center could have been a factor.
Reply/Quote