Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Can the Bengals compete in the AFCN
(04-06-2019, 12:45 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: No Pro Bowlers in 5 years is horrid.

Yes it is.

But it is also the same number as the Patriots and Broncos.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes it is.

But it is also the same number as the Patriots and Broncos.

But they add Pro Bowlers like the Pats did with Gilmore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
last time I checked the lone AFC North team to make the playoffs
last year had a quick exit.
that same team lost to a healthy Bengals team week 2.
now that team just lost their 2 best defensive players to other teams
sorry the Ravens dont impress me.

The Steelers are having personel changes.
Tomlin is under the gun to win.
Yeah Donte Moncrief is a severe downgrade from AB.

The Browns have addded some prime talent.
but can they live up to the pressure?

The Bengals were not blown out in any of their losses
to.the North last year. I can argue the Bengals upgrade their roster
with health alone and guys making that all important jump in years 2 and 3

the North is open. the Bengals chances are as good as anyones to win the North
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 05:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But they add Pro Bowlers like the Pats did with Gilmore.

Yes I know.

Just pointing out that the draft is a bigger crap shoot than many people want to admit.  Even the best teams have ups and downs.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 05:52 PM)impactplaya Wrote: last time I checked the lone AFC North team to make the playoffs
last year had a quick exit.
that same team lost to a healthy Bengals team week 2.
now that team just lost their 2 best defensive players to other teams
sorry the Ravens dont impress me.

The Steelers are having personel changes.
Tomlin is under the gun to win.
Yeah Donte Moncrief is a severe downgrade from AB.

The Browns have addded some prime talent.
but can they live up to the pressure?

The Bengals were not blown out in any of their losses
to.the North last year
. I can argue the Bengals upgrade their roster
with health alone and guys making that all important jump in years 2 and 3

the North is open. the Bengals chances are as good as anyones to win the North

Guess it depends on your definition of blown out. Browns beat us by 15 points (35-20) in the first game against them.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 05:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Now Mayfield looked like he “doesn’t belong in the league” based off one game?? A game where he threw for almost 400 yds and 3 TD (and yes 3 ints). Lmao

You’re too much Joelist. Never change.

Way to deliberately misstate what I said. I said the Rats made him look like he didn't belong - and they did. He got a couple of fluke play TDs but mostly stunk the whole game. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 05:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let’s hope not, because I think it’s fair to say we’re probably the worst team on paper considering it’s largely the same roster that has had 3 losing seasons in a row.

Btw I’m not implying OBJ is going to surpass TO when all is said and done. Just that adding a top 5 WR at age 26 who’s under contract for 5 years is a bigger deal (imo) than adding TO in his mid to late thirties. And then you have the addition of Hunt, who will give them a two headed monster at RB for the second half of the season.

The thing with Kareem Hunt is that we REALLY don't know how that's going to play out. He's out 8 games. Nick Chubb tore it up as the lead back last year. That didn't happen until Carlos Hyde was traded. He ran tentatively in that capacity. That doesn't mean that will be the case this year when he's teamed with Hunt, but we just don't know.

On paper the Browns certainly look like the team to beat. I can't write the Steelers off. I think Baltimore struggles with Lamar Jackson. The Bengals? I dunno... Somewhere between 5 and 10 wins.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 06:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: Way to deliberately misstate what I said. I said the Rats made him look like he didn't belong - and they did. He got a couple of fluke play TDs but mostly stunk the whole game. 

He threw some picks but he’s a rookie and that comes with the territory. But putting up almost 400 yds is hardly a bad game.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 06:31 PM)jason Wrote:  Nick Chubb tore it up as the lead back last year. 

Chubb is grossly underrated.  He tore it up at Georgia.  4700+ yds, 48 tds and a 6.3 avg in only 47 games.

As a rookie had a 5.2 avg per carry.  He only started 9 games but had 1145 yards from scrimmage and scored 10 tds.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 06:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Chubb is grossly underrated.  He tore it up at Georgia.  4700+ yds, 48 tds and a 6.3 avg in only 47 games.

As a rookie had a 5.2 avg per carry.  He only started 9 games but had 1145 yards from scrimmage and scored 10 tds.

PFF named him the best RB in the league. He’s hardly underrated.

Reply/Quote
Chubb is a locomotive when he gets his shoulders squared.
but Mixon isnt a slouch. oh yeah he won the AFC rushing title behind the worst oline in the AFC
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 05:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post Jungle Juice, haven't seen you around here for awhile man...

I can’t quit you guys haha.

The last 2 years have been heavier on posters going at each other than discussing the team. My interest has been rekindled.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 08:03 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: I can’t quit you guys haha.

The last 2 years have been heavier on posters going at each other than discussing the team. My interest has been rekindled.

Yeah, happens, been the most interesting Offseason in 16 years IMO.

We will see how Zac runs things but we can only truly judge once we see the team.

I also truly believe the biggest problem with this team has been coaching, we will see how it goes. Should be fun.

Needed a new LB coach so damn bad, been harping on Haslett since he got here.

Think Tem could be a good one and i also like Anarumo as DC. Having an offensive minded coach like Taylor to go along with Callahan should definately be an upgrade over defensive minded Marvin Lewis but who knows? Gonna have to have a really good draft to put Taylor in the right position to succeed.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 01:49 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The landscape in AFCN has changed drastically in the past year. The Bengals wound up in the cellar but with their injuries it was more than expected. Will the Steelers have a lingering hangover from the drama of last year? Will Baltimore be able to find success when they lost so many starters on defense and had Lamar Jackson exposed by SD. Will the Browns be able to assimilate the talent into a wining combination. I believe our chances are as good as any other because our division is basically weak. There isn't much hope for any team in our division to go deep into the playoffs.

We will know more after the draft, but this feels like a 7-9 to 8-8 at best team. Right side of the line is still garbage, as is the LB corps. If neither improve appreciably they will be exposed in short order, and the Bengals will not be a serious threat. Both AJ and Tyler Boyd are entering contract years.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 05:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I know.

Just pointing out that the draft is a bigger crap shoot than many people want to admit.  Even the best teams have ups and downs.

It’s why shrewd front offices augment the draft with key free agent signings. By key I mean difference-making talent. Mike Brown largely eschews this for reliance on the draft and bargain bin FA signings.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I’m a little pessimistic due to my thoughts about the offensive line but I do think Cincinnati can compete. They still have good talent on the offensive side of the ball and if the offensive line comes together, they could be a dangerous offense.

The defense has some obvious holes but I anticipate them being plugged via the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 01:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote: The Browns swept the Jeff Driskel-led Bengals. I think that's a key point to note.
The Browns beat nobody last year. Nobody. And if we're going to hold the fact that Bengals have had three straight losing seasons against them, I think we also need to consider that it's been twelve years since the Browns finished above .500.
They have a lot to prove, and anyone of these shiny new toys could get hurt in an instance anyways.

If I recall, we beat 1 team that was over .500 in 2011 (same thing in the disaster that was 2010)  and it ended up being year one of our 5 year streak.  I'm not sold on the Browns, but they might not be the guaranteed 4th place finish this year, either .
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 07:43 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Chubb is a locomotive when he gets his shoulders squared.
but Mixon isnt a slouch. oh yeah he won the AFC rushing title behind the worst oline in the AFC

Why this doesn’t get enough respect around the league is beyond me.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 08:57 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Why this doesn’t get enough respect around the league is beyond me.

I don’t think most people really understand how bad our OL is. I had an argument with a Browns fan about Mixon being slightly better than Chubb because what Mixon did behind our OL was more impressive than what Chubb did in a non-full season last year. I think Mixon would have put up crazy numbers behind that Browns OL.

Reply/Quote
well the AFCN is were we compete every year.... since the league expanded to 32 teams
Reply/Quote