Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Can the Bengals compete in the AFCN
(04-09-2019, 12:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well the AFCN is were we compete every year.... since the league expanded to 32 teams

Only 3 teams to beat.

Why is it so hard to beat just 3 teams ?  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 12:15 PM)jason Wrote: The Bengals big off season move was to clean house with the coaching staff. How they do remains to be seen but I can't get on board with pretending there isn't a decent amount of talent on this team.

But yeah... Bobby Hart.

.......and the team was decimated by injury too.  We'll see, but I think this division is up for grabs.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Was anyone honest and just said "NO"? Scrolls back and looks, nope!

Okay, I'll add a caveat. If Hardy Nickerson is not on this team we would be able to muster a glimmer of hope.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 06:08 PM)yang Wrote: Was anyone honest and just said "NO"?   Scrolls back and looks, nope!

Okay, I'll add a caveat.  If Hardy Nickerson is not on this team we would be able to muster a glimmer of hope.

The Bengals were four games behind the Ravens even with all their injuries. The draft is definitely the key to success in 2019. They can only improve over the debacle of 2018. I would like to think that ZT can improve the offense and thus keep the defense off the field. If they get out of the gate without too much damage they will compete with the other teams in our division. WHO DEY!!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 08:57 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Why this doesn’t get enough respect around the league is beyond me.

Mixon should at the very least of been named All-Pro after last year.

(04-09-2019, 11:08 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think most people really understand how bad our OL is. I had an argument with a Browns fan about Mixon being slightly better than Chubb because what Mixon did behind our OL was more impressive than what Chubb did in a non-full season last year. I think Mixon would have put up crazy numbers behind that Browns OL.

So true man, so true.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 12:19 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: .......and the team was decimated by injury too.  We'll see, but I think this division is up for grabs.

Damn right it is. Cleveland is all smoke and mirrors. Pittsburgh has a nightmare on its hands right now, and Ratbirds weakened at their strong suit significantly on defense (plus the Qb is nothing but a fragile Caitlyn Jenner). The talent we currently have on the roster is good. Plus, when you add in the fact of ZT and his hunger to win vs. the ML “clap & release,” I’m positive the coaching staff will play these guys 4qtrs. It’s going to be an exciting year.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 03:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damn right it is. Cleveland is all smoke and mirrors. Pittsburgh has a nightmare on its hands right now, and Ratbirds weakened at their strong suit significantly on defense (plus the Qb is nothing but a fragile Caitlyn Jenner). The talent we currently have on the roster is good. Plus, when you add in the fact of ZT and his hunger to win vs. the ML “clap & release,” I’m positive the coaching staff will play these guys 4qtrs. It’s going to be an exciting year.

Lovin it Harley, damn rights.
Reply/Quote
I feel like a lot of people are seriously underestimating the Browns. I get it, they have been a dumpster fire for the past two decades, but they have never had a roster like this.

Their defense still isn’t very good. In fact, one could probably say it sucks (even though they have talent) but that offense is one of the most talented offenses in the league. If Baker is the real deal, the Browns have a Chiefs level offense waiting to explode and that is very worrisome.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 03:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damn right it is. Cleveland is all smoke and mirrors. Pittsburgh has a nightmare on its hands right now, and Ratbirds weakened at their strong suit significantly on defense (plus the Qb is nothing but a fragile Caitlyn Jenner). The talent we currently have on the roster is good. Plus, when you add in the fact of ZT and his hunger to win vs. the ML “clap & release,” I’m positive the coaching staff will play these guys 4qtrs. It’s going to be an exciting year.

Cleveland as currently constructed looks anything but smoke and mirrors. They have the best group of skill players, the best pass rush, arguably the 2nd best QB, and an improving young defense with difference makers at all levels. They will likely improve the o line in the draft. At worst, they look like a 9-7 team, at best 11-5.

Pittsburgh looks like a dumpster fire, but they absolutely own the Bengals. This looks like the worst Steelers team in some time.

Baltimore is going to bludgeon teams to death with their run game. It won’t be pretty, but they have the makings of a 8-8 to 10-6 team.

The Bengals will go as far as their bottom of the barrel o line and LB corps allow them. Free agency did nothing to move the needle for either group. They better draft well, because this looks like a 6-10 to 8-8 team as currently structured. Shrewd drafting of LB’s and lineman may get them to 10-6.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote

Exciting year?  You make it sound like we're going to have the division sewn up by week 6!  

The Steelers got rid of their high-talent divas so they'll be worse.  The Browns picked up some high-talent divas, so they'll be worse.  The Ravens won the division by default last year and got worse over the off-season.

AND the Bengals rookie HC has a hunger to win, but the Browns rookie HC will be overwhelmed because he's in over his head.  

Ok, that's hyperbole, but I will say your faith that the only good team in the division is the one that finished in last place is quite intriguing. Hope springs eternal!
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 05:15 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Cleveland as currently constructed looks anything but smoke and mirrors. They have the best group of skill players, the best pass rush, arguably the 2nd best QB, and an improving young defense with difference makers at all levels. They will likely improve the o line in the draft. At worst, they look like a 9-7 team, at best 11-5.

Pittsburgh looks like a dumpster fire, but they absolutely own the Bengals. This looks like the worst Steelers team in some time.

Baltimore is going to bludgeon teams to death with their run game. It won’t be pretty, but they have the makings of a 8-8 to 10-6 team.

The Bengals will go as far as their bottom of the barrel o line and LB corps allow them. Free agency did nothing to move the needle for either group. They better draft well, because this looks like a 6-10 to 8-8 team as currently structured. Shrewd drafting of LB’s and lineman may get them to 10-6.

(04-13-2019, 06:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Exciting year?  You make it sound like we're going to have the division sewn up by week 6!  

The Steelers got rid of their high-talent divas so they'll be worse.  The Browns picked up some high-talent divas, so they'll be worse.  The Ravens won the division by default last year and got worse over the off-season.

AND the Bengals rookie HC has a hunger to win, but the Browns rookie HC will be overwhelmed because he's in over his head.  

Ok, that's hyperbole, but I will say your faith that the only good team in the division is the one that finished in last place is quite intriguing. Hope springs eternal!

So, sounds like some that would be confident enough for, let’s say, a wager? Cool

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 06:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Exciting year?  You make it sound like we're going to have the division sewn up by week 6!  

Ok, that's hyperbole, but I will say your faith that the only good team in the division is the one that finished in last place is quite intriguing.  Hope springs eternal!
We were 5-3 when Andy and AJ played together I think it's fair to say we don't completely suck if those guys don't go to IR last year.
Also we usually get two starters in the draft each season so if We draft a good 3 down LBLB a a good RT that would fix our two biggest needs that we have right now.
I agree that the Browns are better and it's silly to throw dirt on the Steelers just yet though along with the Ravens.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 06:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: So, sounds like some that would be confident enough for, let’s say, a wager? Cool

Nah, I'm not going to put myself in a situation where I have to root against the Bengals to be "right"

(04-13-2019, 06:46 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We were 5-3 when Andy and AJ played together I think it's fair to say we don't completely suck if those guys don't go to IR last year.
Also we usually get two starters in the draft each season so if We draft a good 3 down LBLB a a good RT that would fix our two biggest needs that we have right now.
I agree that the Browns are better and it's silly to throw dirt on the Steelers just yet though along with the Ravens.

I hear ya, I'd just have more confidence in the whole "injuries ruined 2018" thing if we hadn't had 2 losing seasons before that.  We may be in a hole that goes beyond the 2018 season, but it's the NFL and things are supposed to be able to turn on a dime, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 06:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Nah, I'm not going to put myself in a situation where I have to root against the Bengals to be "right"

I hear ya, I'd just have more confidence in the whole "injuries ruined 2018" thing if we hadn't had 2 losing seasons before that.  We may be in a hole that goes beyond the 2018 season, but it's the NFL and things are supposed to be able to turn on a dime, I guess.

See if they would've made two decent additional FA signings(O-Line/LB)I'd feel waaay more confident.

The only glimmer of hope is that FA players like Brown and Glenn produce like they should've last season and stay healthy.

Brown, Glenn, plus a full season of AJ, Lawson, and (fingers crossed)Eifert would be enough to be somewhat confident.

I'm not sure it would be a such a bad idea to take Hockenson if he's there to bolster the TE group.

Price not busting and taking the reins at Center would be huge.

That's just a few things if they don't get day one starters from the upcoming draft.

No way am I fully confident.  The coaching is a huge question mark.  Also those things I mentioned above not happening.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 04:10 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I feel like a lot of people are seriously underestimating the Browns. I get it, they have been a dumpster fire for the past two decades, but they have never had a roster like this.

Their defense still isn’t very good. In fact, one could probably say it sucks (even though they have talent) but that offense is one of the most talented offenses in the league. If Baker is the real deal, the Browns have a Chiefs level offense waiting to explode and that is very worrisome.

Who the hell is underestimating the Browns?

Every frickin' talking head is picking them to be the next great team.

(04-13-2019, 05:15 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Cleveland as currently constructed looks anything but smoke and mirrors. They have the best group of skill players, the best pass rush, arguably the 2nd best QB, and an improving young defense with difference makers at all levels. They will likely improve the o line in the draft. At worst, they look like a 9-7 team, at best 11-5.

These Stains are being set up to fail i am tellin you man. They just brought in another diva to complement Mayfield.

Watch what happens when they start losing like OBJ was in New York.

Coaching was the biggest problem with this team and we now have a coach that is bringing some energy to the team. Lets let him coach the team and see how it goes cause as of right now there is no reason to not be excited. The players are excited and so am I. Marvin Lewis was a stale clapper with a defensive play it safe mind that cost our asses multiple Playoff wins because he couldn't fire up a rabbit.

Half glass empty always Nately eh?

Decimated by injuries last season, started out 4-1 with Teryl Austin, Haslett, Lazor and Lewis coaching....

Crazy how some of you guys can talk yourselves into a losing mentality before even seeing the new Head Coach that we desperately needed.

Bottom line, we can take care of our 2 weaknesses with the first two picks of the Draft.

The coaching takes care of everything else and i finally have a touch of confidence in the coaching.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 08:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who the hell is underestimating the Browns?

Every frickin' talking head is picking them to be the next great team.

People on this board, like you're doing now. Talking about how they are just set up to fail. They whipped Cincinnati's ass last year and added a top 3 WR along with a top 3 RB while maintaining a good offensive line. 

I mean, I guess it doesn't matter if us fans underestimate a team, but I'm not going to be surprised if Cleveland comes out and absolutely kicks ass next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 09:10 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: People on this board, like you're doing now. Talking about how they are just set up to fail. They whipped Cincinnati's ass last year and added a top 3 WR along with a top 3 RB while maintaining a good offensive line. 

I mean, I guess it doesn't matter if us fans underestimate a team, but I'm not going to be surprised if Cleveland comes out and absolutely kicks ass next year.

I am still not ready to crown them, they always find a way to fail and they didn't win against any good teams last year really.

Adding another diva could really blow up in their face is all i am saying.

Mayfield and OBJ on the same team... Who knows what will go on...

It is the Browns man and they swept us last year, we will not underestimate them.
Reply/Quote
Can they compete? Sure.

The Ravens lost a TON on defense. They added some pieces to be sure, but losing three LB's (Smith, Suggs, Mosely) and signing zero LB's to replace them should hurt. Also, while getting Earl Thomas should be good, the fact that he's replacing Weddle makes it at best a mild upgrade instead of a total game-changer.

The Browns, in theory, should be solid. But really, who knows with them? The sophomore slump could easily bite Mayfield. OBJ could realize quickly that Cleveland is nothing like NY as far as attention, night life, or just generally continue to be OBJ. And their new HB, who thinks he's a kicker, won't be around for the first half of the year. Plus, there's always our old nemesis...the injury bug, that could decide to bite the Browns and remind everyone in Northern Ohio that they're still in Cleveland. In addition, their O-line should be weaker with the trade of Zeitler to NY for Vernon. It feels like 1987 since the Browns are legitimately the team I'm most worried about in the div. However, as with all Browns teams since the LBJ administration...we know how it'll all likely end for them.

Then there's the Steelers...I'm hesitant to declare them dead since every time it seems like they're toast they just keep on keepin' on. They're the cockroaches of the NFL (in more ways than one). My biggest reason for hope in regards to their (hopefully) imminent demise though is that I believe Ju-Ju's in for a real rude awakening when he's suddenly the #1 and getting all the double teams that AB used to take for him. It's one thing to be a good WR when you're in 1-1 all the time, it's an entirely different thing to do it when it's 2-1 or even 3-1. We'll find out what he's made of this season. Losing Bell isn't that big of a blow since he sat out all of last year anyway. Thankfully, even after trading AB the Steelers continue to appear to be the NFL's best version of a soap opera, as evidenced by the laughable Ramon Foster tweet begging former teammates to deal with their issues in private as opposed to on social media (the hypocrisy there alone is beyond hilarious). If there's even a shred of good left in the world, the Steelers will continue to be a circus this year.

As far as our boys go, I wouldn't let the national media dampen your hopes too much. Of the four teams in the division, the Bengals have lost the least talent this off-season (even the Browns gave up Peppers and Zeitler). They lost Kroft (who was hurt anyway), Burfict (who's looked like a shell of himself for years now), Ogbuehi (I can't really call this a 'loss'), and Fisher (not really a 'loss' either). While no one is really over the moon about the money given to Bobby Hart, they've seemingly brought in more talent than they've lost (unless you believe this to be 2013 in which case losing Burfict hurts). Also there's the X factor in Taylor, who could just by not being Marvin, rejuvenate the team. I don't think that the team is anything even resembling a Super Bowl contender, but we're talking about the AFCN, not the NFL...and with what's happened to the rest of the division there's no reason they shouldn't at least be in the mix come December.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 08:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Half glass empty always Nately eh?

Meh, my half-empty glass is still less empty than our fully-empty trophy case. 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 09:10 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: People on this board, like you're doing now. Talking about how they are just set up to fail. They whipped Cincinnati's ass last year and added a top 3 WR along with a top 3 RB while maintaining a good offensive line. 

They whipped Cincinnati's ass... with Jeff Driskel at QB. Not sure that's anything for them to hang their hats on.

I think Cleveland is obviously set up well, I just need to see it first. They didn't beat anyone last year, they haven't posted a winning season in 12 years, and if having a young inexperienced HC is a negative for the Bengals it is for the Browns too. There's going to be a ton of pressure on the Browns this year... can they handle it? We shall see.
Reply/Quote