Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Can the Bengals compete in the AFCN
(04-15-2019, 09:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: Thus far, on paper, they have.

Fair enough.  Steelers/Ravens/Browns get worse, we get better.  It's possible, I'm not holding my breath, but stranger things have happened.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 09:21 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Fair enough.  Steelers/Ravens/Browns get worse, we get better.  It's possible, I'm not holding my breath, but stranger things have happened.

I never mentioned the Stoolers or Browns......but I think the Stoolers are a bit worse for wear, and the Browns look improved at skill positions.  As for us, I think we're a wild card.  I have an idea that we will be improved at least slightly.  Why?  Because if this staff is competent, it has been my belief for several years that the schemes and message of the previous staff were badly outdated and stale.  I believe that Kenny Zampese was one of the worst OCs in the history of the game.....Lazor was a slight upgrade.  Paul Alexander is finally gone.  I'm one of the few that believed Hue Jackson was as good of an OC as anyone around the league....look how our O looked under him.  Guenther and Zimmer were good DCs....Austin tried shoving round pegs in square holes.  Haslett was like PA, passed by.

So, if I believed all of that, then why wouldn't I believe this team will improve under a better scheme/philosophy/message if the staff is at least competent?  The talent is not as good as 2015, no question, but I think the coaching will be better, and the team can make some noise.  I'm not saying crown our ass, I'm saying I wouldn't rule us out.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 11:54 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The converse to this argument is that Dalton obviously benefited from playing terrible Browns teams for pretty much all of his career.

Maybe he has, but were people bragging about Andy in 2017 after he had 7 TDs/0 INTs against a bad Browns team? No? Yet we're getting awful excited when Mayfield did the same against a bad Bengals team...

There are plenty of reasons to be excited about Baker, I just don't think lighting up the Bengals is all that high up on the list lol. So did Ryan Fitzpatrick for crying out loud.
Reply/Quote
I fully expect the Bengals to win the division. They have a ton of talent at the skilled positions. They need to get lucky at LB to get that defense in order. Assuming health. I'm excited!
Check out my YouTube Show - The Cincinnati Bengals Genius

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Ah3dvZ0FG3NyGp4gNBkEA?view_as=subscriber
Reply/Quote
I frankly have no idea what to expect. All new coaches and all new systems on both sides of the ball, plus the team will have a completely different tone. We could soar or crash for anything in between - preseason will be fun as we will get to see some of what the new regime is planning.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 12:13 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Maybe he has, but were people bragging about Andy in 2017 after he had 7 TDs/0 INTs against a bad Browns team? No? Yet we're getting awful excited when Mayfield did the same against a bad Bengals team...

I'd assume we were getting pumped about how Dalton and Bill Lazor were going to make sweet offensive music after that performance.
Reply/Quote
The term "Any given Sunday!" exist do to the fact that any team in the NFL, even the worst team, can beat the top rated team.

Giants which was an average team won the SB vs. the PATS and that PATS were the much better team overall.

With that said, the Bengals could take the division and even the SB if things all fall into place this year. We never know.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2019, 11:23 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: The term "Any given Sunday!" exist do to the fact that any team in the NFL, even the worst team, can beat the top rated team.

Giants which was an average team won the SB vs. the PATS and that PATS were the much better team overall.

With that said, the Bengals could take the division and even the SB if things all fall into place this year. We never know.

Calling those Giants teams average is a bit misleading. At least the 08 team. They had an elite defense.

Reply/Quote