Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the Bengals offense produce 3-1,000 yd performers this year?
(03-30-2019, 01:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, we pretty much have always agreed on Ross and on most things. I was saying in the Mixon thread how if there is one thing that really has me excited this season it is the Offense now that we have an offensive minded coach instead of a defensive minded one like we always had in Marv. This could be a huge change and we might not be near as frustrated as we have been in the past when Marv's teams would do exactly what you say here and try to just hold onto leads.

Exactly, and I hope Ross has a year three Boyd-like resurrection after being in Marv's dog house as Boyd seemingly was in year 2.  I understand Boyd had a very solid rookie season and Ross did nothing in his, but you get my point.

If I were an OC, I would be ecstatic at the weapons on my roster.  I'm very optimistic that Taylor and company will be a significant leap ahead of Lazor and Co in terms of innovation and lack of predictability.  I'm sure someone will flame me for saying that and how there is no real track record or proof that Taylor is, in fact, that good of an offense mine.   However, my confidence that it will be an improvement over the previous regimes is very high. 

I can't wait for Dalton to have another MVP-type season.  He REALLY improved his ability to improvise plays last year and I feel is still vastly underrated.  In the words of the immortal Lou Brown:  I would love for Dalton to hang around and see if he can give his critics a nice big shitburger to eat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have an extremely talented offense. Their biggest issue was, and still is, the offensive line.
But there's been some big changes, and I'm excited to see how an offensive minded coach takes this offense.

With that said, it is VERY possible the Bengals could have three 1,000 yard receivers.
AJ Green was well on his way to have over 1,000 yards.
Tyler Boyd eclipsed 1,000 yards despite injuries and having Driskel throw him the ball for 3 and a half games.
Tyler Eifert is a wildcard. But, he's actually put up good yardage numbers when he actually plays.
John Ross was an amazing red zone weapon. Something the Bengals desperately needed after struggling in 2017.

The offense is talented. Extremely. The coaches need to use these players to their strengths.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
i can see Green with around 1100 yds
Boyd 1080 yds
Ross 700 yds
Eifert 650 yds
Uzomah 400 yds
Mixon 400 yds
Benard 200 yds
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 03:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly, and I hope Ross has a year three Boyd-like resurrection after being in Marv's dog house as Boyd seemingly was in year 2.  I understand Boyd had a very solid rookie season and Ross did nothing in his, but you get my point.

If I were an OC, I would be ecstatic at the weapons on my roster.  I'm very optimistic that Taylor and company will be a significant leap ahead of Lazor and Co in terms of innovation and lack of predictability.  I'm sure someone will flame me for saying that and how there is no real track record or proof that Taylor is, in fact, that good of an offense mine.   However, my confidence that it will be an improvement over the previous regimes is very high. 

I can't wait for Dalton to have another MVP-type season.  He REALLY improved his ability to improvise plays last year and I feel is still vastly underrated.  In the words of the immortal Lou Brown:  I would love for Dalton to hang around and see if he can give his critics a nice big shitburger to eat.

No doubt and i also love the fact they brought back Alex Van Pelt. You could tell he really helped Dalton last year in the one thing that i have always had a problem with, panicking. He actually stayed in the pocket and threw the ball with confidence even when he had pressure in his face. He had a problem with this before Van Pelt got here.

As long as they take care of the RT spot i think the Offense will be good. If they take care of the LB's in the Draft the Defense will be immensely better than last year and we finally moved on from Haslett which could be the most underrated hire of Tem.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 04:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt and i also love the fact they brought back Alex Van Pelt. You could tell he really helped Dalton last year in the one thing that i have always had a problem with, panicking. He actually stayed in the pocket and threw the ball with confidence even when he had pressure in his face. He had a problem with this before Van Pelt got here.

As long as they take care of the RT spot i think the Offense will be good. If they take care of the LB's in the Draft the Defense will be immensely better than last year and we finally moved on from Haslett which could be the most underrated hire of Tem.

Absolutely; good point about AVP.  And haven't you heard?  Bobby Hart is going to be a Pro Bowl RT this year (makes fun of self)  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 07:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Absolutely; good point about AVP.  And haven't you heard?  Bobby Hart is going to be a Pro Bowl RT this year (makes fun of self)  Hilarious

Lol, that is funny. Hart has so much passion you never know ha ha...
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No speaky of Ross?

I bet it will be more spread out then just 3 guys and i think that is the proper way to go about it. Boyd and Mixon were great last year but i think Ross maybe could break out himself once he gets on the same page with Dalton and i don't want us to overwork Mixon either.

I really think Dalton is the one guy that could have a monster year especially if we take care of the RT position.

Both Green and Mixon should have 1,000 yard seasons though if they stay healthy.

Why would he speak of a guy who hasn't even averaged 150 yards per season? He is talking about guys who have already gone for 1k. I seriously doubt that Mixon will consider going for a 1000 yards is over working.

When Ross actually shows up then we can talk about him.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 02:36 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Why would he speak of a guy who hasn't even averaged 150 yards per season? He is talking about guys who have already gone for 1k. I seriously doubt that Mixon will consider going for a 1000 yards is over working.

When Ross actually shows up then we can talk about him.

Hey Chris, Ross did have 7 TD's last year buddy.

Cannot wait for him to blow up so you can eat some crow brother...

Always enjoy this debate but sooner or later one of us will be right about this pick. I think both of us want it to be me lol
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hey Chris, Ross did have 7 TD's last year buddy.

Cannot wait for him to blow up so you can eat some crow brother...

Always enjoy this debate but sooner or later one of us will be right about this pick. I think both of us want it to be me lol

Well, I've never said he's going to suck and be horrible. I've only ever pointed out the following:

1. He was injury prone when drafted, which I believe should have crossed him off the Bengals board at #9.
2. That he only had one good year in college.
3. That he had the worse rookie year for a WR in NFL history.
4. That I hope he does show up and wish he does well, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.
5. That if the team had selected someone who would have been a starter from day one (which is not unreal given it was the the #9 overall pick) it would have been better off the past two years.

There's nothing there to eat crow about because it's all true. If he does show up in year 3 or 4 it doesn't take away from anything I've said. For a top 10 pick he's already under-performed.

Even if Ross has a 1000 yard season this year, it won't change what I've said or make what I've said untrue. I do hope he does well. I'm just not willing to count him as an offensive star until he actually becomes one.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 04:46 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, I've never said he's going to suck and be horrible. I've only ever pointed out the following:

1. He was injury prone when drafted, which I believe should have crossed him off the Bengals board at #9.
2. That he only had one good year in college.
3. That he had the worse rookie year for a WR in NFL history.
4. That I hope he does show up and wish he does well, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.
5. That if the team had selected someone who would have been a starter from day one (which is not unreal given it was the the #9 overall pick) it would have been better off the past two years.

There's nothing there to eat crow about because it's all true. If he does show up in year 3 or 4 it doesn't take away from anything I've said. For a top 10 pick he's already under-performed.

Even if Ross has a 1000 yard season this year, it won't change what I've said or make what I've said untrue. I do hope he does well. I'm just not willing to count him as an offensive star until he actually becomes one.

I getcha, but at the time there wasn't any Lineman worthy of the 9th pick overall and sometimes you have to go for that talent. Not even you can say that John Ross is not talented. You cannot teach speed and i truly believe that once he gets that chemistry with Dalton and they get on the same page he could be electric for us.

It has sucked for me the last few years having to defend the guy but sometimes people forget that it is not his fault alone he was injured and in Marv's doghouse his rookie year. He shown that red zone threat ability last year with 7 TD's even if he didn't get the yardage. He simply hasn't been used right since he has been here.

I am looking to the future and if he can stay healthy i say he has his breakout year this season.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 04:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I getcha, but at the time there wasn't any Lineman worthy of the 9th pick overall and sometimes you have to go for that talent. Not even you can say that John Ross is not talented. You cannot teach speed and i truly believe that once he gets that chemistry with Dalton and they get on the same page he could be electric for us.

It has sucked for me the last few years having to defend the guy but sometimes people forget that it is not his fault alone he was injured and in Marv's doghouse his rookie year. He shown that red zone threat ability last year with 7 TD's even if he didn't get the yardage. He simply hasn't been used right since he has been here.

I am looking to the future and if he can stay healthy i say he has his breakout year this season.

The 7 TDs does show that he has potential to be successful in this league. The low catch percentage takes away from that because there were 1st downs lost and drives stalled and the other WRs were able to haul in higher percentage of their targets, so it can't be placed all on the QBs, as I have seen some try to do.

His talent, that I can see, is speed. He was successful in short red zone routes, but route running between the 20's was off and out of sync. His hands sure weren't OBJ's. There's more to being a WR than speed. Jerry Rice was by no means a speedster.

The area I was most impressed by Ross with is one no one seems to ever mention and that is his blocking on running plays. Several times I saw him blocking down field for Mixon, so he wasn't taking those plays off that I saw.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 06:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The 7 TDs does show that he has potential to be successful in this league. The low catch percentage takes away from that because there were 1st downs lost and drives stalled and the other WRs were able to haul in higher percentage of their targets, so it can't be placed all on the QBs, as I have seen some try to do.

His talent, that I can see, is speed. He was successful in short red zone routes, but route running between the 20's was off and out of sync. His hands sure weren't OBJ's. There's more to being a WR than speed. Jerry Rice was by no means a speedster.

The area I was most impressed by Ross with is one no one seems to ever mention and that is his blocking on running plays. Several times I saw him blocking down field for Mixon, so he wasn't taking those plays off that I saw.

Great post, Ross definately needs to work with the juggs machine, too many drops and i will never make excuses for a WR quitting on routes, ever. But like you said he was blocking down field and hopefully that is a sign he is going to give it his all. Hopefully he works with Housh again this Offseason cause i did see a jump from his game even if it wasn't much of one.

We need to use him more on short slants, drop off screens and use his open field ability which is his strength. Dude is not just fast, he is extremely quick which is why i always compared him to a more classy Antonio Brown game wise. Obviously he has a VERY long way to go but that is what i see in him. Hopefully he brings it this season. Just has to stay healthy.

He shown that he can stay healthy a bit last year which gave me some hope.

The injuries are the most valid complaint about Ross. He cannot gain chemistry with the QB on the sideline.
Reply/Quote