Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the NFL EVER intervene?
I really wish the NFL could step in and either revoke Mike Browns franchise "license," or just buy him out. We deserve better, we've suffered enough already!
Reply/Quote
What? And tamper with our free market economy? I'm all for it.  Lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:44 AM)Tomkat Wrote: I really wish the NFL could step in and either revoke Mike Browns franchise "license," or just buy him out.  We deserve better, we've suffered enough already!

As long as Mike Brown is playing by their rules, what can they do? Except change the rules on him.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:50 AM)grampahol Wrote: What? And tamper with our free market economy? I'm all for it.  Lol

In all fairness, the NFL is an oligopolistic monopoly so it is constantly tampered with in ways a true free market wouldn't be.  For starters, the fact that teams have salary caps prevents it from being even close to a free market.
Reply/Quote
IDK if you have watched the crooked ass officiating...

they can and will intervene.

nfl betting is almost equivalent to wwe betting.. sadly.. totally rigged

it is broke. i dont want my taxes paying for this horse shit
Reply/Quote
I read sometime in the 90's an interview with someone in the NFL...maybe the commissioner that said they get questions from fans occasionally asking this same question.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:54 AM)Nately120 Wrote: In all fairness, the NFL is an oligopolistic monopoly so it is constantly tampered with in ways a true free market wouldn't be.  For starters, the fact that teams have salary caps prevents it from being even close to a free market.

Yeah, calling the NFL a "free market" is like calling the United States a democracy. It sounds right, but it ain't. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:54 AM)Nately120 Wrote: In all fairness, the NFL is an oligopolistic monopoly so it is constantly tampered with in ways a true free market wouldn't be.  For starters, the fact that teams have salary caps prevents it from being even close to a free market.

Not to mention the conspiracies to fix games..and yes, many are fixed games.  The Bengals played their part in semi respectibility for a while and now under the unwritten rules they have to suck for several years again before being allowed to pretend to be respectable again.. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Who knows what kind of silly agreement Cleveland made to keep sucking.. LOL  Ohio football everyone..The Clevninati Browngals.. Ohio defies physics in a way..but two negatives make a positive in Columbus with the Buckeyes.. Amazing isn't it? 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read sometime in the 90's an interview with someone in the NFL...maybe the commissioner that said they get questions from fans occasionally asking this same question.

And the answer: Oh no! Corruption is impossible in football! Nobody would dare pay off someone to not win if gambling is involved! 

Reply/Quote
As long as there are Harlem Globetrotter teams like the Patriots, the league will need the Washington Generals teams like the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: As long as there are Harlem Globetrotter teams like the Patriots, the league will need the Washington Generals teams like the Bengals.

Except we rarely play the Patriots.

The Bengals are a text-book case of inept management existing in an industry that is subsidized with revenue sharing with regional markets. IF this were a real business that produced a poor product, customers wouldn't buy the product and they'd fail.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Except we rarely play the Patriots.

The Bengals are a text-book case of inept management existing in an industry that is subsidized with revenue sharing with regional markets. IF this were a real business that produced a poor product, customers wouldn't buy the product and they'd fail.
I've said before and I'll say it again that unless a team owner pays fans, every fan at least $1000 every day to be fans of their team it's just about impossible to go broke in the NFL..
That said I'm entirely open to having Mike Brown pay me to be a Bengals fan, but I'm not gonna work cheap.. LOL

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: As long as there are Harlem Globetrotter teams like the Patriots, the league will need the Washington Generals teams like the Bengals.

The Globetrotters and the Generals weren't selecting evenly from the same pool of players, though.  That's the thing about the NFL, it's designed to give every team as fair a shot as they want to take so the idea that you can look at our squad and the Patriots and assume things absolutely have to be stacked against us says a lot about Mike Brown. 

The NFL can have a salary floor and salary cap and the draft and comp picks to even the playing field but it can't hold Mike Brown at gunpoint and make him hire an actual GM or build a practice facility.  Hell, if the draft weren't mandatory I could see Mike Brown saying "We don't want to build with flashy draft pick players, we prefer to sign hard-nosed blue collar guys off the street who WANT to be here rather than guys who had no say in where they play because they were drafted.  Plus, we sign guys for only the league minimum so you KNOW they are playing for the love of the game and not for a paycheck."

People would eat that nonsense right up....well, until the season started.
Reply/Quote

That's why it is subsidized though. They need teams, and by virtue of some teams being really good, others must be really bad. If the bad teams failed they would fold and if they folded it would mean less games and therefor less revenue. Sports leagues are kind of unique because you can't look at the parts as individual business but rather part of the overall business that is the NFL. There are a lot of companies that subsidize losing business segments, consider the bad teams the loss leaders of the real world.
Reply/Quote

There are companies that produce poor products that thrive.  There are businesses that produce quality products that fail.  Product quality does not equal a successful business and vice versa.
Reply/Quote
No.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:20 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The Globetrotters and the Generals weren't selecting evenly from the same pool of players, though.  That's the thing about the NFL, it's designed to give every team as fair a shot as they want to take so the idea that you can look at our squad and the Patriots and assume things absolutely have to be stacked against us says a lot about Mike Brown. 

The NFL can have a salary floor and salary cap and the draft and comp picks to even the playing field but it can't hold Mike Brown at gunpoint and make him hire an actual GM or build a practice facility.  Hell, if the draft weren't mandatory I could see Mike Brown saying "We don't want to build with flashy draft pick players, we prefer to sign hard-nosed blue collar guys off the street who WANT to be here rather than guys who had no say in where they play because they were drafted.  Plus, we sign guys for only the league minimum so you KNOW they are playing for the love of the game and not for a paycheck."

People would eat that nonsense right up....well, until the season started.

Yeah...in a league built for parity...us and the Lions defy said parity.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: There are companies that produce poor products that thrive.  There are businesses that produce quality products that fail.  Product quality does not equal a successful business and vice versa.

It's generally up to the consumer though. They vote with their dollars.

In the NFL, the stadium could sit empty and the Bengals will turn a profit.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's generally up to the consumer though. They vote with their dollars.

In the NFL, the stadium could sit empty and the Bengals will turn a profit.

The same can be said for any team or league with a major TV deal.  WWE has billion dollar TV deals that ensure profits regardless of attendance.  NASCAR has had mostly empty stands for years now.  Live attendance is really seen as a secondary revenue stream for a lot of teams.  

No normal business essentially has a cartel running it that forces them to spend a certain amount on labor, either.  In fact in the old days, cutting costs by fielding crap teams was one way owners secured profits for themselves.  

In a normal business, there is always room for a cheap alternatives.  Bengals games have always been cheap.  If you look at the first 5 years of Andy and AJ, if you had a product that cost in the bottom 10% of like products but was in the top 1/3 in quality, you would sell a ton. 

If we used pizza places as an example, you see mom and pop shops with good food quality fold all the time, but places like Dominos and Little Cesaer's keep chugging along with their lower food quality and food costs.  You're also not going to boycott your local shop because they haven't won a "Best Slice" award in a billion years, either.  

It's silly to compare an NFL team to a "normal" business because it's just so radically different.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:44 AM)Tomkat Wrote: I really wish the NFL could step in and either revoke Mike Browns franchise "license," or just buy him out.  We deserve better, we've suffered enough already!

Well, let's see...they haven't done a thing to the Lions ownership, nor the Cardinals, nor the Redskins, so I'm going to go ahead and say no, the NFL isn't going to do a damn thing.

It's been real bad this year, but this constant "woe is me" bullshit is getting old. Go talk to a Lions fan about inept ownership, the wasting of generational HOF talent, and the inability to win both in the regular season and the post-season. They've had twelve total trips to the playoffs and one, ONE(!!!) post-season win since 1957. DWIGHT F'N EISENHOWER was President and the Redskins were still five years away from integrating the team by signing a black man, it's been THAT long! That's 12 postseasons and 1 playoff win in the last 62 years. If the NFL won't mess with their ownership, they're sure as hell not going to bother with ours.
Reply/Quote