Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we do it for Coach Lewis
Maybe I'm just a little sensitive cause it's the offseason, and dreams of happy endings are abound. All it'll take is a primetime disaster for me to turn on him. But right now I feel like I'd feel bad for the guy if he ends his career here with never at the very minimum getting a playoff win.

I do think with his relationship with the players (if they supposedly think of him as some father figure) they could pull it together for him. Kinda like what SS said (although he ignored the Steelers tactics, but that's another argument that it seems like has been lost).

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/5/25/11776516/first-take-criticizes-leveon-bell-for-complaints-about-bengals
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 11:40 AM)jj22 Wrote: Maybe I'm just a little sensitive cause it's the offseason, and dreams of happy endings are abound. All it'll take is a primetime disaster for me to turn on him. But right now I feel like I'd feel bad for the guy if he ends his career here with never at the very minimum getting a playoff win.

Well, if history has shown us one thing, it's that we'll get at least one of those this year, probably two.

Right now I feel like I'd feel bad for me if I have to watch another 25 years of no playoff wins. Or even another 13 years of Lewis clapping his hands and giggling as his teams shit the bed yet again.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Maybe I'm alone in this thinking, but unless we win the Super Bowl, I don't give a rat's ass about playoff wins. Winning the first round, then losing, means zilch to me. It's a Super Bowl win or nothing for me.
Reply/Quote
I want to see them win a Superbowl too, but C'mon man. They can't even win a playoff game. It can't be Superbowl or bust when your 0-7 in playoff games. That's setting the bar unreasonably high given the playoff history. That's like Cleveland fans claiming AFCN title or bust without having a winning record in two decades (ok they had one, but still). You guys are skipping some steps on the check list. I'm just focusing on Marvin's legacy. I think as long as we don't blow the whole thing up our window should be cracked as long as Dalton and Green, Atkins and Dunlap and co are here. All isn't lost for the players to get over the hump. Marvins days to get the monkey off his back are numbered though.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
"Can we do it for Coach Lewis"

I would like to help Coach Lewis get over the hump.  Let me know what I can do to help.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 12:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: I want to see them win a Superbowl too, but C'mon man. They can't even win a playoff game. It can't be Superbowl or bust when your 0-7 in playoff games. That's setting the bar unreasonably high given the playoff history. That's like Cleveland fans claiming AFCN title or bust without having a winning record in two decades (ok they had one, but still). You guys are skipping some steps on the check list. I'm just focusing on Marvin's legacy. I think as long as we don't blow the whole thing up our window should be cracked as long as Dalton and Green, Atkins and Dunlap and co are here. All isn't lost for the players to get over the hump. Marvins days to get the monkey off his back are numbered though.

They won last year's playoff game against the Steelers. The NFL admitted as much, declaring the Stooler touchdown should not have been ruled a touchdown and that Porter should have been flagged, which would have offset Jone's flag. The Bengals won that game, the ref's stole it from them. That was one time Lewis should have been up in the Referee's grill, ala Harbaugh, and I suspect a late flag would then have been thrown on Porter, who had zero business being in the Bengal's huddle. Sometimes, Lewis is TOO easygoing. There was no excuse for not flagging Porter.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 01:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They won last year's playoff game against the Steelers. The NFL admitted as much, declaring the Stooler touchdown should not have been ruled a touchdown and that Porter should have been flagged, which would have offset Jone's flag. The Bengals won that game, the ref's stole it from them. That was one time Lewis should have been up in the Referee's grill, ala Harbaugh, and I suspect a late flag would then have been thrown on Porter, who had zero business being in the Bengal's huddle. Sometimes, Lewis is TOO easygoing.

They also scored 0 points in the first three quarters and fumbled away the game winning drive trying to run out the clock.

Lets not pretend this is ALL on the refs. Sure they played a part, but Marvin Lewis' team still looked like Marvin Lewis' team against a far inferior team when all was said and done.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 11:40 AM)jj22 Wrote: Maybe I'm just a little sensitive cause it's the offseason, and dreams of happy endings are abound. All it'll take is a primetime disaster for me to turn on him. But right now I feel like I'd feel bad for the guy if he ends his career here with never at the very minimum getting a playoff win.

I do think with his relationship with the players (if they supposedly think of him as some father figure) they could pull it together for him. Kinda like what SS said (although he ignored the Steelers tactics, but that's another argument that it seems like has been lost).

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/5/25/11776516/first-take-criticizes-leveon-bell-for-complaints-about-bengals

dreams of happy endings are abound

You mean that massage parlor just outside of town?
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 12:14 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Never agreed so strongly with a person's post (about 1 win not being enough) only to strongly disagree with their very next post in the same thread. Lol

It's easy to think so because he's 0-7 in the playoffs. He is literally the worst playoff coach in the history of the NFL. Mora went 0-6, but did it with two different teams. No other coach in NFL history is more than 0-3.

Pete Rose's hit record, Cal Ripken Jr's MLB Iron Man record, Brett Favre's NFL Iron Man Record, and Marvin Lewis' postseason winless streak....

...Records that will never be broken in the future.
You left out AC Green's NBA iron man record.... and his virginity record.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 03:00 PM)jason Wrote: You left out AC Green's NBA iron man record.... and his virginity record.

Left it out because I didn't know it. Don't really care for the NBA. It's why I also didn't mention Wayne Gretskie's career points record, which will never be sniffed, but I really don't care for hockey that much either. Lol

But yeah, those are both in the same category.

Reply/Quote
Can we do it for Coach Lewis?

NO!!!!!!!!!  Next question........

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 01:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They won last year's playoff game against the Steelers. The NFL admitted as much, declaring the Stooler touchdown should not have been ruled a touchdown and that Porter should have been flagged, which would have offset Jone's flag. The Bengals won that game, the ref's stole it from them. That was one time Lewis should have been up in the Referee's grill, ala Harbaugh, and I suspect a late flag would then have been thrown on Porter, who had zero business being in the Bengal's huddle. Sometimes, Lewis is TOO easygoing. There was no excuse for not flagging Porter.

.....and that's the thing....he never does, no matter how dry the hump is.  As you said, he's too easy going, especially in certain situations that calls for a Sweet Lou Pinella moment.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This team is going to dominate this year. (barring major injuries of course) This team can win the SB this year as long as they work hard , play as a team and keep their head out of their arse. COMPOSURE. When they resort to hair pulling and talking about your mom and pushing you or whatever, realize why? and what they are trying to accomplish?. Winning the game is the way to stick it to them.

They should win a SB for Lewis, for the Browns, for me, for you, for themselves, for their moms, for their dads,......on and on.

They can do it. I have no doubt.  

They play their game and bring it every week. They are going to steam roll people and I don't care how good the other team is.

This is the year of the big black and orange steam roller.

WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 01:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They won last year's playoff game against the Steelers. The NFL admitted as much, declaring the Stooler touchdown should not have been ruled a touchdown and that Porter should have been flagged, which would have offset Jone's flag. The Bengals won that game, the ref's stole it from them. That was one time Lewis should have been up in the Referee's grill, ala Harbaugh, and I suspect a late flag would then have been thrown on Porter, who had zero business being in the Bengal's huddle. Sometimes, Lewis is TOO easygoing. There was no excuse for not flagging Porter.

NFL VP of officiating: Wild Martavis Bryant TD vs. Bengals wasn't a catch:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25451733/nfl-vp-of-officiating-wild-martavis-bryant-td-vs-bengals-wasnt-a-catch

The NFL also decided that Shazier's hit on Bernard is now illegal:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/03/21/nfl-ryan-shazier-hit-on-giovani-bernard-now-illegal/82081910/

I can't blame Marvin Lewis for that loss.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 12:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Maybe I'm alone in this thinking, but unless we win the Super Bowl, I don't give a rat's ass about playoff wins. Winning the first round, then losing, means zilch to me. It's a Super Bowl win or nothing for me.

To each their own, but I don't get this line of thinking. Winning a playoff game is another step in a progression towards winning a championship. I'll always be happy if my team gets one step closer.

If you don't care about winning a playoff game, then why care about winning in the regular season? After all, you said it's Super Bowl or bust, so by that logic, you shouldn't care if we win regular season games either. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

If a "happy ending" is what you're dreaming of, I know a massage parlor... Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
As others have pointed out, Marvin will leave when he retires. Prior to Marvin Lewis, Mike Brown was the laughing stock of all of professional sports the world over, not just in the NFL. So, frankly, Mikey owes Marvin a great deal of loyalty and is rightly giving it.

All that said, we need a freakin' superbowl victory!

This year would be a great year for them to do it.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 07:24 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: NFL VP of officiating: Wild Martavis Bryant TD vs. Bengals wasn't a catch:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25451733/nfl-vp-of-officiating-wild-martavis-bryant-td-vs-bengals-wasnt-a-catch

The NFL also decided that Shazier's hit on Bernard is now illegal:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/03/21/nfl-ryan-shazier-hit-on-giovani-bernard-now-illegal/82081910/

Shazier's hit on Bernard was illegal when it happened. It just wasn't called. The NFL knew it was illegal and they still do. The "now it is an illegal hit" is nonsense and the NFL is covering up what happened. Phil Simms basically admitted it in the Denver game. They are spinning what happened so people don't realize that they are actually Big Time Wrestling.

Peyton got a ring and it was great theater. I guess. Hopefully this year it will be legit. Let the players determine the outcome. Not the refs.

Ride into the sunset ,Shane ,Ride into the sunset.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 08:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1. No "we" can't, because we're not NFL players. Ninja

2. Dude's hit his ceiling. He was good for rebuilding a team and getting them to win games, but he's never been good when the pressure is on and he can't prepare his teams for it. Prime time/playoff games have always been something his teams have rarely won, regardless of the players involved or the level of competition in the game. He's had at least like 3-4 distinctly different teams now as a Bengals HC and they all look the same in those moments.

Common thread between them? Him.

- - - - - - - -
Side note: Yeah, Sunset is right. With the talent the team has had last year and this year, a single playoff win is a failure. That was the goal back when Dalton was a rookie/2nd year player and this team was all young and such. The window will probably never be open more than he's had lately, so yeah, SB appearance is pretty much the only acceptable goal right now.

Absolutely right on. He has his strong suits as a coach, i.e. talent acquisition and mentoring young coaches, but game management isn't one of them. Make him the GM and hire someone that can call games and is good under pressure (...Peyton).
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 07:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: To each their own, but I don't get this line of thinking. Winning a playoff game is another step in a progression towards winning a championship. I'll always be happy if my team gets one step closer.

If you don't care about winning a playoff game, then why care about winning in the regular season? After all, you said it's Super Bowl or bust, so by that logic, you shouldn't care if we win regular season games either. 

It's simple, I want them to win the Championship. I'm not going to be happy if they win one playoff game and lose in the 2nd round. Anything less than a Super Bowl victory is disappointing.
Reply/Quote