Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we just take a step back and look at the roster?
(03-16-2019, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good thing he has only missed as many as 4 games twice in his 8 year career.

You may be technically correct. But a WR who leaves in the 1st quarter ad not available for 3 quarters due to injury while not calculated as DNP, in reality, he only played less than 25% for example.

Let's hope you are correct and he plays all 16 games in 2019 and earns that big salary dump.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good thing he has only missed as many as 4 games twice in his 8 year career.
Good one.  Narrative shattered.

Yeah, I just kinda see people who want to take shots at AJ as people just wanting to take shots.  Not that he's above criticism, but he has more than earned the respect he should and does get. 

And I would take it even further and say maybe he deserves some sentimentality too.  The whole we should trade AJ thinking is getting over the top.  It is a business, but it is a people business and it should not be devoid of loyalty. 

And it's not like he doesn't produce on a big time level.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 01:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You may be technically correct. But a WR who leaves in the 1st quarter ad not available for 3 quarters due to injury while not calculated as DNP, in reality, he only played less than 25% for example.

Let's hope you are correct and he plays all 16 games in 2019 and earns that big salary dump.

Big salary dump?  Kind of an odd thing to say about our best player, the guy who DC's build their game plans against us around.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 01:42 PM)McC Wrote: Good one.  Narrative shattered.

Yeah, I just kinda see people who want to take shots at AJ as people just wanting to take shots.  Not that he's above criticism, but he has more than earned the respect he should and does get. 

And I would take it even further and say maybe he deserves some sentimentality too.  The whole we should trade AJ thinking is getting over the top.  It is a business, but it is a people business and it should not be devoid of loyalty. 

And it's not like he doesn't produce on a big time level.

Is it shattered? Only if you are not being objective and looking to side with Fred.

Since 2014 AJ has zero stats in 17 games, he DNP in 16 and was hurt early in another making it 3 years he DNDP (in my opinion) in 4 games or more since he entered the league. in 2014. He missed 6 games and 7 games the past 2 seasons or 13 of 32 games or missed 40% of the games recently. In 8 years, he has 3 years missing 25% of the season and 2 years missing over 40% of the season. I think he only missed 1 game in  the other 5 seasons (entire game).

I have an AJ jersey and love his talent, but I refuse to ignore the past 2 years he has become unreliable. Fans are all over Eifert, but ignore Green is heading down a similar path. I am hopeful the injuries are behind him, but based on recent history, it is hard to be optimistic.

AJ also missed at least 1 playoff game if I recall at Indy, maybe more.

So, sorry Fred did not shatter my narrative, he just ignored or used selective facts to protect AJ.

Compare AJ to other stud WR's like Brown, J. Jones, Hopkins and others, he is far worse staying healthy and playing in games.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 01:44 PM)McC Wrote: Big salary dump?  Kind of an odd thing to say about our best player, the guy who DC's build their game plans against us around.

Nothing to game plan against 41% of the time the past 2 seasons, he was on the sidelines injured.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 05:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of people will dismiss this as "homer talk" but I think the 2019 version of Price will be like adding a totally different player if he can stay healthy and work out all offseason.  He was barely cleared in time to start training camp last year.  That had to really hurt his performance as a rookie

I wouldn’t call it homer talk. Price didn’t perform as expected last year but he’s not incapable of improvement. There’s a reason he was projected a late 1st to early 2nd rounder. He has talent but only played C for a year and coming off injury. If he steps up, it will help. If not, Hopkins is there to take over at C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 02:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wouldn’t call it homer talk. Price didn’t perform as expected last year but he’s not incapable of improvement. There’s a reason he was projected a late 1st to early 2nd rounder. He has talent but only played C for a year and coming off injury. If he steps up, it will help. If not, Hopkins is there to take over at C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price was a rookie who was injured. I think way too early to give up on Price, I was optimistic when we drafted him and still hope he anchors our center position next 10 years.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 01:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Nothing to game plan against 41% of the time the past 2 seasons, he was on the sidelines injured.

Understood.  You"objectively" hate AJ.  We're done here.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 03:13 PM)McC Wrote: Understood.  You"objectively" hate AJ.  We're done here.

I love AJ, I love Eifert, but not thrilled when they are injured. I am not saying it is their fault, but hard to win when your best player is not playing.

I brought up facts, he has had a rough couple of years missing 6 and 7 games each year. I pray he plays all 16 in 2019, if he does we are a different team. Also, I still wear his jersey. But this year will be his make or break year for a 3rd contract with the Bengals or being paid big bucks somewhere else.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 01:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Compare AJ to other stud WR's like Brown, J. Jones, Hopkins and others, he is far worse staying healthy and playing in games.

OBJ has only played 15 games in the last two seasons combined, but apparently he is going to take the Browns to the Super Bowl this year.
Reply/Quote
I really want to see the new offensive system, especially after Zac Taylor in his initial press conference said specifically that the schemes would be fashioned to complement what our players do well. So....

Does this mean we will dump the zone blocking and go to what we did with some success at the close of 2017 (angled drive blocking)?

What about the routes on pass plays? Will they be styled more to how our receivers do it?

How about our run plays? Same comments.

If we actually start coaching to what our players do well at and seek to create mismatches we have the people to do very well offensively.
Reply/Quote
This new Guard we signed is pretty bad in Zone Blocking schemes and good in a Power Blocking scheme. Hopefully that gives a hint.
Reply/Quote
I can't really judge the roster until I know that the bulk of major offseason acquisitions are over.

That said, I despise our linebacker group for the most part as it stands. Brown is a decent player, but not a 3-down guy. Vigil is just a guy. Burfict looked like he was finished. When he did manage to get into games, he seemed to leave in short order with up and down play on the field (plus the requisite dumb extracurriculars).

This could and hopefully will change after the draft, or perhaps a FA signing (which seems unlikely with the kinds of players they're bringing in). A Devin White or Vosean Joseph would change my opinion quite a bit.

If you're going to have a guy like Brown, who is a 2-down guy as a starter and Burfict who is unreliable as another, you need to have some damn good backups waiting in the wings, because it's a virtual lock that you'll need them early and often. It's not so much that the starters suck (even though they kinda do), it's that the backups are absolute dog shit tacos in football jerseys, and they play way too much.

Hardy Nickerson and Jordan Evans need to be selling insurance or working on used car lots next season. They are bums of the first order and I hate seeing them on this team.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 10:46 PM)samhain Wrote: I can't really judge the roster until I know that the bulk of major offseason acquisitions are over.  

That said, I despise our linebacker group for the most part as it stands.  Brown is a decent player, but not a 3-down guy.  Vigil is just a guy.  Burfict looked like he was finished.  When he did manage to get into games, he seemed to leave in short order with up and down play on the field (plus the requisite dumb extracurriculars).  

This could and hopefully will change after the draft, or perhaps a FA signing (which seems unlikely with the kinds of players they're bringing in).  A Devin White or Vosean Joseph would change my opinion quite a bit.  

If you're going to have a guy like Brown, who is a 2-down guy as a starter and Burfict who is unreliable as another, you need to have some damn good backups waiting in the wings, because it's a virtual lock that you'll need them early and often.  It's not so much that the starters suck (even though they kinda do), it's that the backups are absolute dog shit tacos in football jerseys, and they play way too much.  

Hardy Nickerson and Jordan Evans need to be selling insurance or working on used car lots next season.  They are bums of the first order and I hate seeing them on this team.

My personal belief is that LB is what they'll be looking for in the 1st. Depending how things shake down after that they could look for OT in the 2nd, but I think they take multiple linebackers in the first half of the draft at the very least.

Last year they desperately needed an OT and they shocked everyone with a trade. Maybe they're looking around for a similar deal for a LB this year, who knows. I think a deal like the one they made with Buffalo made more sense last year, though, just because there were so many QBs out there... Buffalo knew they'd be able to get one of them at the Bengals spot. Not sure who a team would trade up to 11 for right now as there's no guarantee the top 2 QBs will be there.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 08:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: OBJ has only played 15 games in the last two seasons combined, but apparently he is going to take the Browns to the Super Bowl this year.

I did not mention OBJ, You sure love to make crap up.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 10:46 PM)samhain Wrote: I can't really judge the roster until I know that the bulk of major offseason acquisitions are over.  

That said, I despise our linebacker group for the most part as it stands.  Brown is a decent player, but not a 3-down guy.  Vigil is just a guy.  Burfict looked like he was finished.  When he did manage to get into games, he seemed to leave in short order with up and down play on the field (plus the requisite dumb extracurriculars).  

This could and hopefully will change after the draft, or perhaps a FA signing (which seems unlikely with the kinds of players they're bringing in).  A Devin White or Vosean Joseph would change my opinion quite a bit.  

If you're going to have a guy like Brown, who is a 2-down guy as a starter and Burfict who is unreliable as another, you need to have some damn good backups waiting in the wings, because it's a virtual lock that you'll need them early and often.  It's not so much that the starters suck (even though they kinda do), it's that the backups are absolute dog shit tacos in football jerseys, and they play way too much.  

Hardy Nickerson and Jordan Evans need to be selling insurance or working on used car lots next season.  They are bums of the first order and I hate seeing them on this team.

Linebacker and OLine are still issues in my book.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Linebacker and OLine are still issues in my book.

I think they're punting on o-line in round 1.  I suppose they didn't like they're options as day 1 starters, which is fine, I guess.  I say this because pretty much all of Glenn/Boling/Price/Miller/Hart are getting paid to start.  They need a backup swing tackle, which I could see them trying to get one in 3 or after.  I'd be shocked if they go guard at all before 3.  

My belief is that they are planning on one of the stud DTs falling to 11 and then taking him.  Not an awful strategy, really.  It would be badass to see Geno next to Ed Oliver or Gary or maybe even Wilkins.  Got zero problem with that plan.....  Except what it means for the LB position.  

Unless we sign a guy like Zach Brown or trade for a guy like Derron Lee, we need at least 1 more starting quality backer before August.  I'm still skeptical that they take one early.  I think they'll get a DT and then give Taylor a new toy to use in his offense.  No way they hire an offensive-minded new coach and don't give him something to work with early in the draft.  In fact, if a DT doesn't fall in 1, I wouldn't't be surprised to see them snag Hockenson, even with the Eifert signing.  I view having Uzomah and Eifert as having 1.5 TEs.  Hockenson is a decent blocker, to boot.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 05:22 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: II think we signed Hart because we are going LB with #11

dont put it past DEN to take Devin White with pick #10...they need LBs too. Just like last year when Ragnow got picked the pick in front of us by DET. If they do take him, I hope we take Hockinson.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 01:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Is it shattered? Only if you are not being objective and looking to side with Fred.

Since 2014 AJ has zero stats in 17 games, he DNP in 16 and was hurt early in another making it 3 years he DNDP (in my opinion) in 4 games or more since he entered the league. in 2014. He missed 6 games and 7 games the past 2 seasons or 13 of 32 games or missed 40% of the games recently. In 8 years, he has 3 years missing 25% of the season and 2 years missing over 40% of the season. I think he only missed 1 game in  the other 5 seasons (entire game).

I have an AJ jersey and love his talent, but I refuse to ignore the past 2 years he has become unreliable. Fans are all over Eifert, but ignore Green is heading down a similar path. I am hopeful the injuries are behind him, but based on recent history, it is hard to be optimistic.

AJ also missed at least 1 playoff game if I recall at Indy, maybe more.

So, sorry Fred did not shatter my narrative, he just ignored or used selective facts to protect AJ.

Compare AJ to other stud WR's like Brown, J. Jones, Hopkins and others, he is far worse staying healthy and playing in games.

AJ and Julio have played in the EXACT same number of games (111 out of 128).

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 01:36 AM)Beaker Wrote: dont put it past DEN to take Devin White with pick #10...they need LBs too. Just like last year when Ragnow got picked the pick in front of us by DET. If they do take him, I hope we take Hockinson.

He's a legit top 10 prospect.  I'm almost expecting him to be gone at 11. Wouldn't be surprised to see us pass on him if he was there, either to take some guy like Greedy Williams.  Ugh.
Reply/Quote