Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we please get a coach like this...
(12-09-2020, 10:41 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: In 2019 the Pittsburgh Steelers had a horrible season where they went 8-8. They did this while playing the third string quarterback. That means the rest of the team is super strong and super deep; Cincinnati needs to examine this model for the future.  Depth is everything in the NFL now, and doesn’t it just frost your flakes when you see one of the Steelers’ starters go down their backup plays just as well?

It is others like the Ravens as well. The Ravens were decimated with the China virus, yet played the Steeler's tough. 

I guy like Bush goes down for the Steeler's and next guy is already prepared. Next guy may not be the athlete they replace, but they are coached well to be in the right position to make plays.

Our team loses a guy and next guy up looks clueless.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 02:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How refreshing would it be to have a coach speak like this? And keep in mind this is the coach of an 11-1 team...

"If you can't get a yard in our game, you don't deserve to win," Tomlin said. "That's the nuts and bolts elements of football, the physicality element of football. We didn't meet that challenge, so we have some work to do in that area."

"If you're a legit unit, if you're a unit that has the goods, you can absorb irregularities in schedules, players -- significant players -- missing and so forth and still rise up in those moments," Tomlin said. "That's our charge as we prepare for this next game. ... We've lost fluidity since we missed some of those guys.

"To be quite honest with you, that pisses me off because we have to be the type of group that endures regardless of who is available. That's how we construct this group, not only in terms of our acquisition of players but just development of mentality and personality."

"They can catch the ball or they can get replaced by those who will catch it," Tomlin said. "It's just as simple as that. As I have often said, I expect guys to make routine plays routinely. When there is a pattern of that not happening, then we have to look at who we are throwing the ball to.

"The coaching of catching the football for those who are employed to do it at this level is not something that I have a lot of patience for, it's not something that any of us have a lot of patience for. Those guys' job is to catch the football, particularly routine ones. Where there's a pattern, you should expect to see less opportunities."

Yeah, say what you want about the guy but he is a damn good coach. Too bad he coaches the team I hate the most. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That coach speak from  press conferences is meaningless when it comes to judging a coach.

No it’s not. It goes to show the difference in standards and accountability between teams like the Bengals and the Steelers. Tomlin is furious when his players mess up, and says there’s no excuses (injuries, schedule, etc). Zac Taylor otoh gives a guy like Billy Price a game ball (aka participation trophy) after a game in which he was terrible. And of course there’s also his ridiculous claim all season that the OL problems were overblown, that he believes in what his coaches are doing, etc. Nobody wants to hear that bullshit.

Reply/Quote
Jets fired Williams (their DC) after loosing on a last second Hail Mary vs a blitz with no safety help.

When the Jets have a better FO/ownership team that your team, you are in trouble.
Reply/Quote
Referring to Tomlin....

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/its-time-for-tomlin-to-go.25436/

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/hot-seat.25416/
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:16 PM)hoosierbengal Wrote: Referring to Tomlin....

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/its-time-for-tomlin-to-go.25436/

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/hot-seat.25416/

They've lost 3 in a row and are losing their marbles.  We've won 3 games all season and our fans are losing their marbles.  
Reply/Quote
Giovanni Bernard in 5 years maybe sooner should be the next head coach of this team..
Laugh if you like..
Hes the Man
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 02:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How refreshing would it be to have a coach speak like this? And keep in mind this is the coach of an 11-1 team...

"If you can't get a yard in our game, you don't deserve to win," Tomlin said. "That's the nuts and bolts elements of football, the physicality element of football. We didn't meet that challenge, so we have some work to do in that area."

"If you're a legit unit, if you're a unit that has the goods, you can absorb irregularities in schedules, players -- significant players -- missing and so forth and still rise up in those moments," Tomlin said. "That's our charge as we prepare for this next game. ... We've lost fluidity since we missed some of those guys.

"To be quite honest with you, that pisses me off because we have to be the type of group that endures regardless of who is available. That's how we construct this group, not only in terms of our acquisition of players but just development of mentality and personality."

"They can catch the ball or they can get replaced by those who will catch it," Tomlin said. "It's just as simple as that. As I have often said, I expect guys to make routine plays routinely. When there is a pattern of that not happening, then we have to look at who we are throwing the ball to.

"The coaching of catching the football for those who are employed to do it at this level is not something that I have a lot of patience for, it's not something that any of us have a lot of patience for. Those guys' job is to catch the football, particularly routine ones. Where there's a pattern, you should expect to see less opportunities."
I would rather have the coach of the team that won the game and made this coach get this pissed off.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:28 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I would rather have the coach of the team that won the game and made this coach get this pissed off.

No team in the NFL would want Zac as their HC other than us.
Reply/Quote

but does he back it up.. they came into the game I believe last in drops yet made zero changes in their lineup..  Tomlin is great with speeches but i have rarely seen him replace people. Will be interesting to see how he does once Ben retires....
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:18 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: They've lost 3 in a row and are losing their marbles.  We've won 3 games all season and our fans are losing their marbles.  

Yep. And you know they're not content with 11-3. The losses sting.

Here, people are numb to the losses and seem to overreact to wins. Like we beat a boss on a video game or something and leveled up.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: but does he back it up.. they came into the game I believe last in drops yet made zero changes in their lineup..  Tomlin is great with speeches but i have rarely seen him replace people.  Will be interesting to see how he does once Ben retires....

He let's guys like AB and Juju get out of control too. Stars get more leeway.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. And you know they're not content with 11-3. The losses sting.

Here, people are numb to the losses and seem to overreact to wins. Like we beat a boss on a video game or something and leveled up.

Speaking of which, I've been playing Super Smash Bros on the Wii U with my kids and my 6-year old thinks I'm a God because after 3 nights of trying, I finally beat The Hand.  

And now that I type that out, I see more parallels in this than is healthy  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. And you know they're not content with 11-3. The losses sting.

Because wins are so rare with this team.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:23 PM)Spider Wrote: Giovanni Bernard in 5 years maybe sooner should be the next head coach of this team..
Laugh if you like..
Hes the Man

only if he keeps the stache' He would have to have that as a contract requirement
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:28 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I would rather have the coach of the team that won the game and made this coach get this pissed off.

LOL maybe Mike Tomlin will show Zac his Super Bowl ring sometime. It’s the closest he’ll ever get to one.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 08:06 AM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: We actually had a coach like that a few years ago.  Remember when Marvin first came to the Bengals, the very first thing they did was sign Carson before the draft was even held.  Correct me if I am wrong, but the NFL wanted them to wait, so it would make great TV and 'ol Marv said NO, that he wanted it to seem like the Bengals knew what there were doing.   I also remember when early in Marvin's coaching career, Chris Henry committed a personal foul that hurt a drive and Marvin grabbed him by the face mask and ripped him a new one.  I remember thinking that we finally had a coach that wasn't putting up with any b.s.!  Not sure what happened but by the end Marvin had become Bengalized....you know that look that Shula, and Coslet, and now Zac has during every game.  So yea, i agree, the Squeelers make me puke, but I sure wish our team played as hard and were coached as good as they are.

I agree --Marvin was different the first few years on the job. I remember we tagged Takeo Spike. Marvin met with him and once Takeo said he did not want to stay Marvin lifted the tag and said he only wanted players who wanted to be here. Was a real culture shift after guys like Pickens and Dillon stayed for the money but quit on the team in the end. Marvin seemed to soften over time though
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 09:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: LOL maybe Mike Tomlin will show Zac his Super Bowl ring sometime. It’s the closest he’ll ever get to one.

How close did he get as a member of the Rams coaching staff?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No team in the NFL would want Zac as their HC other than us.

We don't even want him. He really should be hoping he coaches well enough down the stretch so he can land an assistant job next season.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. And you know they're not content with 11-3. The losses sting.

You didn't enjoy that last night?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote