Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Can you imagine Mikey saying this?
John Elway's best moves as an executive have come in free agency. That's where he rounded out his 2015 championship defense, and that's where he can make amends after falling short of the playoffs.

The Broncos don't accept mediocrity. They won at least 12 games with a playoff bye in four straight seasons before going 9-7 in 2016. Elway's standards are so high that he fired coach John Fox after one of those 12-win years. This is not an organization designed for patience, making the next two weeks vital for the franchise.

Quarterback Tony Romo -- presuming he is eventually released by the Cowboys -- is the obvious big-name target, but the Broncos could be active in free agency at a number of positions. They have been mentioned as a suitor for defensive lineman Calais Campbell, the No. 2 overall free-agent-to-be on our Top 101 list. The offensive line is also a glaring weakness.

"I feel more comfortable if we can take care of some needs in free agency," Elway said at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "I think that we can supplement some needs that we have through free agency because I don't like going into the draft with big needs."

I came across this in an nfl.com article. Some interesting comments he makes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lol nope!!! Can we trade for elway as owner
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 08:19 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: John Elway's best moves as an executive have come in free agency. That's where he rounded out his 2015 championship defense, and that's where he can make amends after falling short of the playoffs.

The Broncos don't accept mediocrity. They won at least 12 games with a playoff bye in four straight seasons before going 9-7 in 2016. Elway's standards are so high that he fired coach John Fox after one of those 12-win years. This is not an organization designed for patience, making the next two weeks vital for the franchise.

Quarterback Tony Romo -- presuming he is eventually released by the Cowboys -- is the obvious big-name target, but the Broncos could be active in free agency at a number of positions. They have been mentioned as a suitor for defensive lineman Calais Campbell, the No. 2 overall free-agent-to-be on our Top 101 list. The offensive line is also a glaring weakness.

"I feel more comfortable if we can take care of some needs in free agency," Elway said at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "I think that we can supplement some needs that we have through free agency because I don't like going into the draft with big needs."

I came across this in an nfl.com article.  Some interesting comments he makes.

Nope.  I could never, in my wildest dreams, imagine Mike Clown saying something like that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This post is so on point and sums up why Denver is a top organization and Bengals are not.

Their coach John Fox was fired for not winning Super Bowl even tough he won playoff games.

We desperately need a take no prisoners, I demand excellence and hold people accountable GM like Elway.
Reply/Quote
The funny thing...on paper we have nearly the same exact amount of cap space as them!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The funny thing...on paper we have nearly the same exact amount of cap space as them!

But we have to roll over money to re-up Eifert etc who wont want to stay here if we let our top 3 walk.
Reply/Quote
It's funny to see this quote come out now. Someone posted another interesting tidbit on Twitter a couple of days ago. A little over 65% of Denver's roster was built through free agency, which came in at #1 in the NFL. The #32 team? The Bengals. Just a little over 35% for their roster.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 08:19 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: John Elway's best moves as an executive have come in free agency. That's where he rounded out his 2015 championship defense, and that's where he can make amends after falling short of the playoffs.

I came across this in an nfl.com article.  Some interesting comments he makes.
John Elway--We're gonna ***** win and that's it.

Mike Brown--We'll say we're gonna do this but we'll really do that.  See how clever we are?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Outside looking in.

Champions know what is takes to stay champions...

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 01:26 AM)CINwillWIN Wrote: Outside looking in.

Champions know what is takes to stay champions...

John Elway just agreed to pay Domata Peko more than the Bengals paid him last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The funny thing...on paper we have nearly the same exact amount of cap space as them!

They're not hamstrung by Mikey math though. Mike keeps a close eye on his pocket I mean rollover money that we save to "pay our own" ...oh wait  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 06:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: John Elway just agreed to pay Domata Peko more than the Bengals paid him last year.

Elway also has had more playoff success in the last 3 years than weve EVER had

So its a give and take
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 09:04 PM)Housh Wrote: Elway also has had more playoff success in the last 3 years than weve EVER had

So its a give and take

Not sure what you are trying to say.

Either peko is good enough to get paid that much or not.  You can't just say the exact same move is smart for the Broncos but stupid for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 11:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what you are trying to say.

Either peko is good enough to get paid that much or not.  You can't just say the exact same move is smart for the Broncos but stupid for the Bengals.

IMO he is saying overall results matter.
At times the same player with a different team and coaches will yield different results. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 11:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what you are trying to say.

Just agreeing to disagree
Reply/Quote