Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cap Management-Dead Money
Katie does a pretty darn good job in this stat

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
3 of the 4 most all won one of the last 6 Super Bowls, and the Eagles went to a second one on top of that. The only team of those four to not win a SB recently has only had 5 losing seasons out of the last 30.

None of the 4 lowest have EVER won a Super Bowl. I don't think incredibly low dead cap space is particularly something to try to win at. I would trade dead cap space for a SB trophy in a heartbeat.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 06:01 PM)pally Wrote: Katie does a pretty darn good job in this stat

Not wasting money can never be called a bad thing.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 06:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 3 of the 4 most all won one of the last 6 Super Bowls, and the Eagles went to a second one on top of that. The only team of those four to not win a SB recently has only had 5 losing seasons out of the last 30.

None of the 4 lowest have EVER won a Super Bowl. I don't think incredibly low dead cap space is particularly something to try to win at. I would trade dead cap space for a SB trophy in a heartbeat.

The bengals were a bad PI call away. Or .5 second away.

I don’t think the bengals being the lowest dead cap team has anything to do with this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 11:21 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: The bengals were a bad PI call away. Or .5 second away.

I don’t think the bengals being the lowest dead cap team has anything to do with this.

No you are right it’s just silly.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 06:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 3 of the 4 most all won one of the last 6 Super Bowls, and the Eagles went to a second one on top of that. The only team of those four to not win a SB recently has only had 5 losing seasons out of the last 30.

Kind of easy to say but the reality is harder.

Would you really change our chances of being a dominant team this year for a team that has Baker Mayfield and Kyle Trask battling out for the starting QB?

Would you really change watching out boys for a team coming off a 5-12 season and got worse?

It's easy to say "I'd do it all for a Championship" until the bill comes due. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Katie does a damn good job at just about everything it seems.

She is a dream owner operator and hope I don't awake from the dreamland she's created.

Katie gets my vote for MVP

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 06:01 PM)pally Wrote: Katie does a pretty darn good job in this stat

Interesting, too, is the fact that all 5 of the lowest dead cap teams made the playoffs, and only one of the most dead cap teams did (Eagles).
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 08:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Interesting, too, is the fact that all 5 of the lowest dead cap teams made the playoffs, and only one of the most dead cap teams did (Eagles).

There are some Bengal fans that winning a Super Bowl consumes them. Any little thing provokes them that they question. It’s like a mother who’s consumed with her own appearance and the poor high school age daughter has no chance.

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 09:23 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: There are some Bengal fans that winning a Super Bowl consumes them. Any little thing provokes them that they question. It’s like a mother who’s consumed with her own appearance and the poor high school age daughter has no chance.

I get it.  We are all, in some part, the wimp that got beat up by the bully and had their lunch money stolen.  We had to eat crap while the steeler and Patriot fans gloated.  It is pretty important for me to win one, too, and hopefully while my dad is here to see it with me.  

That being said, as happy as I would be with a Super Bowl win, I would hate to see the Bengals go in to cap purgatory and end up like the Rams did last year and seemingly for the future.  I think their model is sustainable and once they get that first title, I think they have a really good chance to win multiple as they will be competitive for years to come.  

I wish there was a way to keep Lou A. here, as I think he is a large part of it.  
Reply/Quote
The Rams and Bucs are in cap hell because they went all in on aging players. The Rams fell apart a year after winning the Super Bowl. We will see how the Bucs do without Brady.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'd gladly take "cap hell" if it guaranteed a Super Bowl win.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 09:23 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: There are some Bengal fans that winning a Super Bowl consumes them.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. It consumes Coaches/FO too.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 11:27 AM)jj22 Wrote: You say that as if it's a bad thing. It consumes Coaches/FO too.

Not from my vantage point. Focused for sure… consumed no. Consumed would be mortgaging the future and releasing Mixon, Collins, and even Jonah

Reply/Quote
The Bengals are doing it the right way at the moment.

Building consistency grows the fan base and brings in more money. They are using that money to really invest in their football program. Im really happy with the direction of the franchise.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

I have a similar, if not exact same view.

While having a low dead cap is good, it could also mean you're holding onto players too long.

It's obvious too that certain teams understand there are championship windows and are ok with throwing a lot of guarantees and big contracts to win in that window, even if it means having some down years following.
If it results in a Super Bowl win (like the Rams), it was worth it, IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Winning a SB is hard, and they best chance to do so is to make the playoffs as often as possible in hopes that you will be the team to get hot and win. The reason the most successful teams in the NFL history are so successful and have so many titles is because they seemingly make the playoffs every year and thus up their chances to win a SB over time. We would be smart as an organization to stay competitive as long as possible to up our odds of winning one.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 12:55 PM)Garrus Wrote: Winning a SB is hard, and they best chance to do so is to make the playoffs as often as possible in hopes that you will be the team to get hot and win. The reason the most successful teams in the NFL history are so successful and have so many titles is because they seemingly make the playoffs every year and thus up their chances to win a SB over time. We would be smart as an organization to stay competitive as long as possible to up our odds of winning one.

This 1000 times. Injuries are a key. The Bills cap space is awful. Von Miller they invested in heavily and he got hurt. The Rams barely beat us in the SB and had a nice 1 year run. Had we beat them they’d be moaning right now that they blew it. The Rams are awful this year. I said it. They were last year.

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 10:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get it.  We are all, in some part, the wimp that got beat up by the bully and had their lunch money stolen.  We had to eat crap while the steeler and Patriot fans gloated.  It is pretty important for me to win one, too, and hopefully while my dad is here to see it with me.  

That being said, as happy as I would be with a Super Bowl win, I would hate to see the Bengals go in to cap purgatory and end up like the Rams did last year and seemingly for the future.  I think their model is sustainable and once they get that first title, I think they have a really good chance to win multiple as they will be competitive for years to come.  

I wish there was a way to keep Lou A. here, as I think he is a large part of it.  

I agree that building a sustainable winner is important but actually winning a title is hyper important because of the history of this franchise and its long suffering fanbase. Being good but not quite good enough to win it all in essence is giving those fans that stuck with the team in the many bad times nothing in return for their loyalty. What is interesting is that the last few free agency years plus the apparent draft strategy seem to show the team is trying to blend both approaches - be able to sustain success AND address the issues that held them back. I hope it works!
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 01:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: I agree that building a sustainable winner is important but actually winning a title is hyper important because of the history of this franchise and its long suffering fanbase. Being good but not quite good enough to win it all in essence is giving those fans that stuck with the team in the many bad times nothing in return for their loyalty. What is interesting is that the last few free agency years plus the apparent draft strategy seem to show the team is trying to blend both approaches - be able to sustain success AND address the issues that held them back. I hope it works!

If you go all in and jeopardize the future you run the risk of losing your best players. Right now I’d bet if Joe was intimating let’s go for broke they would. He wants to be here a long time… and not be poor. Sounds like every single person in the building is on the same page. That’s a good thing.

Reply/Quote