Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cap Situation
How much cap space do we have remaining?

I see that Gerald McCoy is going to be waived. It's a long-shot, but many him and Geno would be tough to block!
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 09:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How much cap space do we have remaining?

I see that Gerald McCoy is going to be waived. It's a long-shot, but many him and Geno would be tough to block!

Would you Rather...

Sign McCoy for a year or 2 or extend Boyd and AJ before the season start?

I don't know if we can do all of that with whats left depends on mccoys salary demands...  but there are several good DL still on the market

not sure how up to date this is but it shows we still have about 22 mil left

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

should be enough to do 2 out of the 3
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 09:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How much cap space do we have remaining?

While true, why create a logjam at a position where we don't have any true weaknesses?

I would rather...

(05-21-2019, 09:54 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Would you Rather...

I don't know if we can do all of that with whats left depends on mccoys salary demands...  but there are several good DL still on the market

... spend the money this way, extending our guys and using whatever leftover space to frontload crap.

That makes more sense, to me anyways.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
McCoy wants to go to a contender he has said. The Browns showed interest in trading for him, don't be surprised if he ends up in Cleveland or possibly Indy.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 09:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How much cap space do we have remaining?

The Bengals have a little over $22 mil left.

I think the hangups with McCoy and Suh are that we'd be locking ourselves into keeping 5 DT's and I don't think they are the types of guys Zac wants in the locker room.  
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 10:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: McCoy wants to go to a contender he has said. The Browns showed interest in trading for him, don't be surprised if he ends up in Cleveland or possibly Indy.

I guess not being 4th place for the first time in a long time makes a team a contender now?
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 10:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I guess not being 4th place for the first time in a long time makes a team a contender now?

I mean that is the perception, don't shoot the messenger just passing along what Schefter said. To be fair a team goes worst to first in a division almost every year. 
Reply/Quote
They have made a lot of good moves and drafted well recently...but their ownership rivals ours. It will be interesting to see if they can put it all together and win.

I'm not so convinced they will.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 09:54 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Would you Rather...

not sure how up to date this is but it shows we still have about 22 mil left

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

should be enough to do 2 out of the 3

That doesn't have Jonah, Pratt, or Finley factored in yet. That will be another $5 mill or so.
And it doesn't factor in the reserve the team will keep for injuries, which traditionally has been $3-5 mill.
So in reality, the "true" remaining cap space is around $12 mill, and I would expect that all will be put toward extensions and rolled over whatever's left.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 10:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That doesn't have Jonah, Pratt, or Finley factored in yet. That will be another $5 mill or so.
And it doesn't factor in the reserve the team will keep for injuries, which traditionally has been $3-5 mill.
So in reality, the "true" remaining cap space is around $12 mill, and I would expect that all will be put toward extensions and rolled over whatever's left.

Jonah signed like 5 days ago. I thought I remember Pratt signing, but you're right he hasn't. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 10:58 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Jonah signed like 5 days ago. I thought I remember Pratt signing, but you're right he hasn't. 

Yep I know Jonah was signed but the contract is still not known and therefore not included in the cap on Spotrac/OTC. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 10:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That doesn't have Jonah, Pratt, or Finley factored in yet. That will be another $5 mill or so.

They have usually kept more like $8M for injuries which is another way of saying PROFIT. 

And using this years cap room for next years extensions is also a waste, sorry, PROFIT.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Whenever you can sign an elite player that makes our team better do it. Or if we are going to tank for another year or two to be able to draft Trevor Lawrence which I’m not against. Draft another stud tackle next year n Lawrence in 2021.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 10:15 AM)Whatever Wrote: The Bengals have a little over $22 mil left.

I think the hangups with McCoy and Suh are that we'd be locking ourselves into keeping 5 DT's and I don't think they are the types of guys Zac wants in the locker room.  

I don't see an issue offering him a 1 year prove it deal. He would be pretty good in the middle of our DL and could rotate and stay fresh.

The money would be back next year for extending Green and Boyd (So will Glenn's 9 mil) so I don't see it as an issue at all. The goal is to win right?
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 10:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I guess not being 4th place for the first time in a long time makes a team a contender now?

I'm not betting it all on the Browns, but they did go to lengths to get a top GM, emphasized building through the draft, and then used free agency and trades to acquire talent to fill gaps and maximize money saved on a rookie QB contract.  This isn't quite like the old days when they got Jake Delhomme off the scrap heap and tried to get hyped over having a "Super Bowl-caliber" QB, or something.

If shaking up ownership, the front office, the approach towards the draft and free agency etc doesn't change anything then why do we as Bengals fans want this stuff so badly?

Anyways, if the Browns have McCoy on their d-line I'd be concerned for Dalton. Though we can just laugh and say "They're the Browns, they won't do anything" I guess.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 11:14 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: They have usually kept more like $8M for injuries which is another way of saying PROFIT. 

And using this years cap room for next years extensions is also a waste, sorry, PROFIT.

I don't recall them saying they've ever reserved $8 mill for injuries. I recall as much as $5 mill reserved in a recent season. Just because $8 mill might be reserved, for example, doesn't mean it was all reserved for injury replacements.

Technically, the Bengals have already spent up to the league's salary cap this season, which sits at $189 mill. They are currently at $188.2 mill. All that remains of the cap is what has been rolled over to this point. Jonah Williams, Ryan Finley, and Germaine Pratt will eat into that rolled over cap. Some of it will be eaten by extensions. Some will be reserved for injuries. The rest (if any) will be rolled over to next year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 11:26 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not betting it all on the Browns, but they did go to lengths to get a top GM, emphasized building through the draft, and then used free agency and trades to acquire talent to fill gaps and maximize money saved on a rookie QB contract.  This isn't quite like the old days when they got Jake Delhomme off the scrap heap and tried to get hyped over having a "Super Bowl-caliber" QB, or something.

If shaking up ownership, the front office, the approach towards the draft and free agency etc doesn't change anything then why do we as Bengals fans want this stuff so badly?

Anyways, if the Browns have McCoy on their d-line I'd be concerned for Dalton. Though we can just laugh and say "They're the Browns, they won't do anything" I guess.

I’m not a fan of their outspoken WRs but they have a great quarterback n a bunch of stars on their team. Hunt , with OBJ n their TE oils kinda scary. If they get McCoy with Garrett they will definitely be improved. I think they are definitely turning around their franchise with the new gm they have. Browns are no joke.
Reply/Quote

at this point unless there is an injury to a key player I think that's the smart move... lock boyd down.  get a few other extenstions out of the way.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 11:14 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: They have usually kept more like $8M for injuries which is another way of saying PROFIT. 

dude get a clue  that money isn't going into anyones pockets but the players if they don't spend it they roll it over to next year to spend it...

ignorance and bias is clear and sad.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 11:38 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’m not a fan of their outspoken WRs but they have a great quarterback n a bunch of stars on their team. Hunt , with OBJ n their TE oils kinda scary. If they get McCoy with Garrett they will definitely be improved. I think they are definitely turning around their franchise with the new gm they have. Browns are no joke.

At this point it’s on us to prove that we are better than them and not the other way around. Mikey is betting that he can do it with the Mikey ball / Taylor combo. Color me skeptical, but here’s to hoping that he is right.
Reply/Quote