Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cap Space Article
(05-01-2020, 03:45 PM)SladeX Wrote: I'm ok with paying Mixon more.
Lukewarm  to keeping Ross, he needs to show a lot more consistency.

One tack the team may take with the Dalton $ is to see how Training camp plays out, and fill in holes with veteran  cuts from other teams. Especially if some of the OL help is no help at all. No need to be in a rush at this point to sign a Vet.

They can still "keep" Ross, without using the 5th year option on him.  If he does well this season, ala a full year of production, then they can offer him a "fair" contract going forward.  I would think it very irresponsible of the Bengals management to agree to pay John Ross $15.875M, for a single year, at this point in time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think extending Ross is highly unlikely. His lack of production and inability to stay on the field make that an easy decision. The drafting of Higgins makes it even easier.

I don't see them adding any more significant vets right now. Injuries before the season could change that, but I think the money goes to extensions, rookies and not much else. Mixon, Ross and Green unrest the only ones that are due for deals. Jackson and Lawson are players they may or may not view as necessary.

I think the Andy money puts them right where they like to be cap-wise. I'll take that, considering the high volume of activity in FA this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 05:56 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: This offseason I would grade an A, they did a good job acquiring good young talent on the defensive side of the ball, and drafted well at areas of need. What I really liked was the trimming of the fat to make those deals happen!

Free Agents:
-for once we didn't overpay for our own and it shows as many are still unemployed (Dennard, Kirkpatrick, Glenn, Webb) and the ones that did sign none of them signed a huge contract.

Salary Cap:
- they jettisoned so much dead weight this year, where in years past they would have just rode out the entire contract.
-Kirkpatrick, Webb, Miller, Dalton, Glenn, Brown, all cuts!!!

Future:
-this team is younger and much better positioned to make a run in 2021, but be way more competitive in 2020.

-I would like to see an extention to Mixon before AJ Green though, I'm just leery on the health issue, and I would absolutely not pick up John Ross's 5th year, but I would try to re-sign on a cheap 2-3 yr deal.

For me to give an A grade, it would have to be addressing every need. 
An A+ would be if it was every need filled and with solid-or-better starter level for all.

I think they still have a gap at OG, and as such I give a B+.
If they go get someone like Fluker or Person, I'd bump it to an A.

Still, it's been better than recent offseasons (by far).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote