Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 McCarron Highlights
(09-01-2015, 04:37 PM)McC Wrote: Using history as a guide, Bad Andy will show up.  As soon as Bad Andy shows up, there will be a controversy.  You have all these guys on the team talking up AJ and then he goes out there and plays well, improving from one week to the next, directing the 1's.  If he plays well again this week, regardless of the meaningless-ness of the game, it will further percolate, especially among the Dalton haters.

There will be a controversy this year.
I don't think we see bad Andy because I don't think he'll be asked to do that much.  With Hill carrying this offense, he'll just need to make the easy throws and be a game manager.  There will obviously be some mistakes, but I don't think that they'll be big enough to have people calling for his head.

The above also holds true because we'll have all of our receiving options healthy with AJ, Jones, Sanu, Eifert, etc.  
(09-01-2015, 11:01 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Macaroni has some potential but I wouldn't get my hopes up. For how critical I am of Dalton, I understand that it is very difficult drafting a 5th round QB and turning him into a serviceable starter. Chances are our QB of the future isn't on this roster currently.

I think Andy's starting here for at least the next five years.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2015, 11:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think Andy's starting here for at least the next five years.

[Image: 8mycx.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2015, 04:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck, there's been people call for Gradkowski, Josh Johnson and Jason Campbell over the years.

The calls for McCarron are going to be intense. At least McCarron has some potential, unlike the previous backups.

I'm sure the message is being received by Dalton, unless he's IQless. He isn't going to be able to put up any more Cleveland, Indy or Tampa games and not be looking over his shoulder.

Those Cleveland highlights are just too undeniable. Seeing is the only way to believe how bad it was.

I'm by no means believing McCarron is up to replacing Dalton at this point. McCarron's shoulder injury and his missing all of last year, make him a question mark. Dalton hasn't missed any games and that's a big plus.

The previous backups have been a joke. Sometimes I think we signed such bad ones was so that Dalton would feel secure in his job.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2015, 11:01 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Macaroni has some potential but I wouldn't get my hopes up. For how critical I am of Dalton, I understand that it is very difficult drafting a 5th round QB and turning him into a serviceable starter. Chances are our QB of the future isn't on this roster currently.

Saying this is a big year for Dalton would be an understatement. After this year, the Bengals can get out of that contract pretty easily. A repeat of last year - with healthy players around him - would make moving on an easy decision. 

As for McCarron, I agree that 5th round QB's VERY rarely amount to anything. That said, there were rumors that poor interviews and maybe a pre-existing injury caused him to slip. He could wind up being a Zach Mettenberger type (another guy who slipped due to injury) of player for us. Somebody who can hold the fort down if we move on from Andy, but maybe not someone you'd want to build the franchise around. I really like McCarron's fire though. I will say that. It's not easy to find a natural leader at that position.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2015, 04:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck, there's been people call for Gradkowski, Josh Johnson and Jason Campbell over the years.

The calls for McCarron are going to be intense. At least McCarron has some potential, unlike the previous backups.

I seem to recall a few for Gradkowski, but none/not much for the other 2. Both of those guys looked pretty bad in the preseasons so it wasn't much of an issue.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 12:32 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I seem to recall a few for Gradkowski, but none/not much for the other 2. Both of those guys looked pretty bad in the preseasons so it wasn't much of an issue.

There weren't many, but there were a few who were enamored with JJ's athleticism and Campbell's experience.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 01:28 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There weren't many, but there were a few who were enamored with JJ's athleticism and Campbell's experience.

Campbell's first preseason game basically squashed everyone who thought he should start over Dalton.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote