Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Cap space
(02-08-2022, 01:15 PM)mikey6866 Wrote:  He knows that was a complete mock scenario and i though about changing it before i posted but he wants to make sure that it sounds like he understands contracts and the cap which he clearly does not. 

Funny how they guy who supposedly does not know how the cap works corrected the "expert"

Hilarious

Also funny how the "expert" has failed to explain why we have the term "cap casualty" when there are magic beans that allow teams to get around the cap.

If you don't care about the future you can bump the consequences down the road, but as I have point out, the very team that the "expert" claimed always worked around the cap (Steelers) just had to cut a couple of starters to get under the cap this year and were unable to re-sign multiple other starters.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It can't be spread out more than 5 years.

OK, I made a mistake there is a cap on number of years bonus can be spread out (original contract), but teams also rework the original contract and start the process over again giving player upfront bonus money and lessening that years cap hit.

I am no expert, but I have studied cap hits for over 20 years and do know a little about how to defer cap money. Bengals have been smart, but did do it in a small way with Reiff for in essence a 1 year deal.

I call it creativity, I hope we use it wisely so we can continue to build a strong roster, but now is the time to go for it in my opinion, starting with giving Joe B. an elite RG and RT in 2022.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny how they guy who supposedly does not know how the cap works corrected the "expert"

Hilarious

Also funny how the "expert" has failed to explain why we have the term "cap casualty" when there are magic beans that allow teams to get around the cap.

If you don't care about the future you can bump the consequences down the road, but as I have point out, the very team that the "expert" claimed always worked around the cap (Steelers) just had to cut a couple of starters to get under the cap this year and were unable to re-sign multiple other starters.

You can push the consequences down the road, but you can't just make the problems disappear forever.

I shouldent have said it would spread over 7 years, thats completely on me.  I was and still am aware that it can only be spread over 5 years.  You did not correct me in any way.  I used a poor over exaggerated example to simply make the point of AAV vs Cap. I never expected that somebody would take that over exaggerated example and take it into cap analysis as if that was what i was actually suggesting.   I should have just put on there what i would suggest that we offer Bozeman.  5 yrs 45 mil 15 mil signing bonus.  Depending on structure that can be as low as 4 mil cap hit in the first year.

You continue to dilute the argument as if the steelers are the only team participating in cap manipulation as this is a league wide thing for the most part, some more than others.  Most fan bases dont care about cap and would happily kick can down the road if that means playing for super bowls more frequently.  You also can make the problems disappear for over a decade while competing for championships every year and then when Burrow is gone we know its a complete rebuild anyway and we start over with cap and trying to find a QB thats good enough to put us in position to start the whole process over again.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Huber needs to be out. He's been bad this year and especially in the playoffs. I'm over the net 30 yard punts. 

Bengals have Chrisman on next year's roster, and only should cost $705k.

Chrisman averaged 44.6 YPP at Ohio St, which is less than a yard less than Huber's average both in college and pros.

Chrisman could be the planned replacement.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 01:45 AM)J24 Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_AndrewR/status/1488170054386651146?t=emTleHCLze17255cyP2sCQ&s=19

I was going off of Pro Football Reference.  PFF obviously isn't counting the TD Bates gave up to Kelce against KC.  That's a big problem with using such a small sample size.  TD's allowed and Interceptions are a 30 point swing.  Although if you want to use PFF's #'s, where was Bates during the regular season?
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 01:32 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: OK, I made a mistake there is a cap on number of years bonus can be spread out (original contract), but teams also rework the original contract and start the process over again giving player upfront bonus money and lessening that years cap hit.

I am no expert, but I have studied cap hits for over 20 years and do know a little about how to defer cap money. Bengals have been smart, but did do it in a small way with Reiff for in essence a 1 year deal.

I call it creativity, I hope we use it wisely so we can continue to build a strong roster, but now is the time to go for it in my opinion, starting with giving Joe B. an elite RG and RT in 2022.

What was the point in doing it with Reiff though? We rolled over what like $6 mil or so to next year and we pushed around $2-3 mil of his salary to next year? Was it just caution in case they needed to sign a bunch of injury replacements or trade during the season? Or was there more to it?
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is why you trade up in the draft to nab the best corner available (Sauce Gardner). You can cut Apple out and upgrade at corner back with a guy on a rookie contract for 5 years.

We need to stop thinking like a rebuilding team and start using draft capital to obtain quality players. I am all for trading up to get quality players over quantity or trading picks to get proven talent on reasonable contracts. Everything should be about "win now" while Burrow and Chase are on their rookie deals.

You would have to give up multiple future first round picks to move up high enough to draft him. They should not, and will not do that. 

I'm not opposed to giving up picks for proven players (similar to what the Rams have done, but on a smaller scale), but you're looking at trading 1st round picks in 22, 23, and 24 for Sauce Gardner, who may or may not end up being worth it. We will need first round picks to sustain success, whether they're used to pick college players, or trade for proven commodities. 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 03:10 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: What was the point in doing it with Reiff though? We rolled over what like $6 mil or so to next year and we pushed around $2-3 mil of his salary to next year? Was it just caution in case they needed to sign a bunch of injury replacements or trade during the season? Or was there more to it?

I am guessing it was for abates in case they signed him but not sure. also not sure the pecking order of when we signed Apple and others. Maybe they thought they may have needed more than they end up signing them for but I sure the reasoning was good
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Thank you for a intresting topic. Rome was not built on one day..
Reply/Quote
The Bengals really made judicious use of free agency during the past two seasons. Hope that is a trend that continues.
Reply/Quote