Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capers Turns Down Offer
(02-07-2019, 12:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Capers is being linked to consultant positions in sunny Florida.  Lemme see, I'm 60+, will I move to Fla and do a consultant gig, or will I move to southern Ohio and work 70+ hours a week as a DC?  I think even I know that answer....lol.

Pretty much a no brainer..... Freeze my tucus off or golf all year round..... Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 12:23 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Pretty much a no brainer..... Freeze my tucus off or golf all year round..... Wink

If this was the case then he does not interview here.

Somthing is happening when taylor meets with these guys that turns them off.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 01:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If this was the case then he does not interview here.

Capers didn't interview.  He turned down the request.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 01:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If this was the case then he does not interview here.

Where was it reported Capers even took a meeting? Didn’t they both decline to even interview?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 01:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Where was it reported Capers even took a meeting? Didn’t they both decline to even interview?

That's just Fred, hating on the new coach, which is new MO.  I'd say get used to it because it's his current spam.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 01:56 PM)McC Wrote: That's just Fred, hating on the new coach, which is new MO.  I'd say get used to it because it's his current spam.

It's important to have the resident contrarian, I guess.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 01:56 PM)McC Wrote: That's just Fred, hating on the new coach, which is new MO.  I'd say get used to it because it's his current spam.

Anything to go against the grain...

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 01:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anything to go against the grain...

Yep.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 01:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Where was it reported Capers even took a meeting? Didn’t they both decline to even interview?

Del Rio and Taylor had a meeting. I just assumed Capers did becasue they supposedly offered him the job , but he may have just turned down an offer for an interview instead of a job.
Reply/Quote

I don't think that's it.  And I agree with Fred's concern.   But I don't think any of these people (Pollack, Del Rio and Capers) has even interviewed with Taylor.

But there's something they don't like or like less than other opportunities.   Maybe they just don't want to be part of a potential failed youth movement.

I have been concerned all along at his inability to secure quality coaches.

And while I like a lot of what I hear about his intelligence and passion for the game, I've been concerned about his youth and inexperience from the start.

Hope I'm wrong and his youth movement kicks butt.   But his first choices have all been experienced and they've all turned him down.

Legitimate cause for concern.
Reply/Quote
Well you have to consider that the next DC is inheriting one of the last ranked defenses in the NFL last year, and the Bengals fired their last DC after half a season. So it may be a combination of talent concern and job security concern.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 02:06 PM)3wt Wrote: I don't think that's it.  And I agree with Fred's concern.   But I don't think any of these people (Pollack, Del Rio and Capers) has even interviewed with Taylor.

But there's something they don't like or like less than other opportunities.   Maybe they just don't want to be part of a potential failed youth movement.

I have been concerned all along at his inability to secure quality coaches.

And while I like a lot of what I hear about his intelligence and passion for the game, I've been concerned about his youth and inexperience from the start.

Hope I'm wrong and his youth movement kicks butt.   But his first choices have all been experienced and they've all turned him down.

Legitimate cause for concern.
So, really, the whole have to have a new coach with a new approach and his own plan was really a lot of crap or only applies if he does it the way we want him to do it.  Got it.

Hey, let's go get Marvin back.  He's got all the experience in the world.

Being concerned before he even does any coaching?  Drama queen shit.

As outrageous as it sounds, I'm just gonna wait until I see his team in action and not before.  Guess that makes me old fashioned but I don't see the wisdom in jumping to a million conclusions.  Call me crazy.  There will be plenty of time to worry later so I won't feel compelled to get a bunch of it in now.

Reply/Quote

Did he interview, or just outright decline?  Del Rio was via telephone, apparently.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 02:12 PM)McC Wrote: So, really, the whole have to have a new coach with a new approach and his own plan was really a lot of crap or only applies if he does it the way we want him to do it.  Got it.

Hey, let's go get Marvin back.  He's got all the experience in the world.

Being concerned before he even does any coaching?  Drama queen shit.

As outrageous as it sounds, I'm just gonna wait until I see his team in action and not before.  Guess that makes me old fashioned but I don't see the wisdom in jumping to a million conclusions.  Call me crazy.  There will be plenty of time to worry later so I won't feel compelled to get a bunch of it in now.

Exactly. We wanted a coaching change and we got it. Let’s them fail first before crucifying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 11:17 AM)Okeana Wrote: Do you ever consider that ZT may have not liked JDR's plan for the defense and intends to change the scheme?

Or that JDR may want a year off? Or that Capers is almost 70 and may be looking for a less intense role than DC?

(02-07-2019, 11:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: the word is capers is being courted by miami

Not as a DC. In fact, I don't think JDR or Capers have received any other offers for that role. Which leads me to wonder if they really even want that role. Both should've been hot commodities, having both coached Super Bowl defenses fairly recently.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 11:15 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I'm not upset about it not being Capers, but this is a concerning trend. JDR and Zac apparently didn't hit it off. A guy like Capers who should be thrilled to have this opportunity doesn't even want it. The ghastly Turner hire. And now our leading candidate looks wholly inexperienced and unqualified.

Aubrey Pleasant is as experienced as Vance Joseph when everyone hailed him as the next big thing. 

Pleasant has also been hyped a lot like Joseph.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/06/report-bengals-want-to-interview-aubrey-pleasant-for-dc/

"Pleasant has no experience as a coordinator, but he is considered one of the rising stars in the profession."
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 02:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Did he interview, or just outright decline?  Del Rio was via telephone, apparently.

Capers didn't interview, just declined. It sounds like he is retiring from coaching. 

So neither of these guys wanted to be here, I'm cool with that.
Reply/Quote

He didn't, Del Rio didn't meet with Zak face to face. This is Taylor's first gig as an HC and will be a lasting impression on his future. I'd be making sure as hell I got it right.
Reply/Quote

Pretty sure capers saw the second hand furniture in the Taylor hire pics and decided he wanted to work for classier owners.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 03:31 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Pretty sure capers saw the second hand furniture in the Taylor hire pics and decided he wanted to work for classier owners.

C'mon get it right, gently used furniture, not second hand....
Reply/Quote