Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Captain Obvious Says...
Damn, is this team freaking good. I mean really, really good. Like, heads and shoulders better than almost every other team (save a few) good.

I'm not on here (nor was on old JN) much during season. But I wanted to take a sec to offer up some props for these guys. As much time as I take making Giggles and Noodles jokes, I figured I could take a few minutes to sing their praises.

I'm not sure I've seen a Bengals team this good in a long, long time. Probably since 1988-89. As good as the 2005 team was, games like that season's loss against the Colts, or the early loss to the Steelers, led me to believe that, while good, they weren't elite. Even these last four years, again, while good, I've never gotten the impression this was one of the league's best. Good, not great. Great was reserved for the Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks recently. A team like Green Bay struck me as a cut above.

Not any more. This team as is good as anyone. There is not a single team that actually scares me in a head to head matchup. Sure, the Patriots are probably the odds on favorite. But I don't think they're better than us. Top to bottom this is a fantastic roster. And if we actually get a healthy Burfict, along with a return to form, then that's a scary thought.

I think you're finally seeing how a decent to good team develops when their QB play goes from leaving much to be desired to above average. Couple that with health and player development, I think you're seeing a much different caliber of Cincinnati Bengals in 2015 than 2011-2014.

There is no doubt this team, right now, a true contender. I know it's early but they really couldn't look a lot better. They absolutely manhandled a good Kansas City and San Diego team. They destroyed a Raiders team who was 2 seconds and a 49 yard field goal away from being 3-1. They sacked up and came back to beat the Ravens at their place.

I've long told myself I won't let this team get my hopes up again. Not until they prove it. I've been burned too many times. Well, there are slowly winning me over and making me buy in early again.

Great start to the season, guys!
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 08:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Damn, is this team freaking good.  I mean really, really good.  Like, heads and shoulders better than almost every other team (save a few) good.

I'm not on here (nor was on old JN) much during season.  But I wanted to take a sec to offer up some props for these guys.  As much time as I take making Giggles and Noodles jokes, I figured I could take a few minutes to sing their praises.

I'm not sure I've seen a Bengals team this good in a long, long time.  Probably since 1988-89.  As good as the 2005 team was, games like that season's loss against the Colts, or the early loss to the Steelers, led me to believe that, while good, they weren't elite.  Even these last four years, again, while good, I've never gotten the impression this was one of the league's best.  Good, not great.  Great was reserved for the Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks recently.  A team like Green Bay struck me as a cut above.

Not any more. This team as is good as anyone.  There is not a single team that actually scares me in a head to head matchup.  Sure, the Patriots are probably the odds on favorite.  But I don't think they're better than us.  Top to bottom this is a fantastic roster.  And if we actually get a healthy Burfict, along with a return to form, then that's a scary thought.

I think you're finally seeing how a decent to good team develops when their QB play goes from leaving much to be desired to above average.  Couple that with health and player development, I think you're seeing  a much different caliber of Cincinnati Bengals in 2015 than 2011-2014.  

There is no doubt this team, right now, a true contender.  I know it's early but they really couldn't look a lot better.  They absolutely manhandled a good Kansas City and San Diego team.  They destroyed a Raiders team who was 2 seconds and a 49 yard field goal away from being 3-1.  They sacked up and came back to beat the Ravens at their place.

I've long told myself I won't let this team get my hopes up again.  Not until they prove it.  I've been burned too many times.  Well, there are slowly winning me over and making me buy in early again.  

Great start to the season, guys!

Exactly how I feel - Who-Dey!
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
Strong praise from a source that gives it up rarely. Hope I'll be eating crow later in the year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Oh yeah they're that good. This yeah just feels different like you said I don't fear any team this year. Dalton is playing a unreal, as well as the rest of the team. Pretty pumped this year to be honest.
[Image: 52393749789596023645410.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Definitely the best team I've seen here since the 2005 team. IF this current front office would have been around (their ideology) in 2005-2010, this team would have won a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
IMO, this is the best squad we've ever had during the Marvin era. Better than 2005 or 2013.

As long as they stay relatively healthy (knock on wood) there should be no reason why they can't make the AFC title game at least.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 11:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: IMO, this is the best squad we've ever had during the Marvin era. Better than 2005 or 2013.

As long as they stay relatively healthy (knock on wood) there should be no reason why they can't make the AFC title game at least.

Agree,

Best squad and moreover, playing with fire ! Like Holic said in a post, seems mostly we've got the carrying the lunch pail to work attitude more often than not from past teams.

To me there seems to be a desire there that hasn't always been around.
Reply/Quote
They definitely have that magic energy that super bowl teams typically have. I hope they can finish the job.
Reply/Quote
Hell has frozen over...I expect a loss against Seattle to bring Hell back to its normal temperatures.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 10:49 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Definitely the best team I've seen here since the 2005 team.  IF this current front office would have been around (their ideology) in 2005-2010, this team would have won a Super Bowl.

If Carson didn't get hurt, we would have at least knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I see a few people in each of these threads say that we look better than the 2005 team. It may seem that way now, but how well does everybody actually remember what we looked like after 4 games in 2005? I mean, I remember that season pretty well, but I can't say that I can recall my exact feelings after week 4 a decade ago and I doubt anyone else would say that either. My point is, maybe the 2015 team just seems "better" because it's fresh in our minds? I even think I've agreed with people in the past about this 2015 group looking like the best Marvin led team, but now I'm looking at the box scores for a refresher.

Defense: 296.5 YPG, 9.5 PPG, 17 turnovers, 9 sacks (7 in one game though, and 2 games with zero sacks)
Offense: 384.75 YPG, 26 PPG, 4 turnovers
3 blowout wins, Carson over 100 rating each game and seen as one of the best in the league

Defense: 364.75 YPG, 19.25 PPG, 7 turnovers, 11 sacks (zero against BAL)
Offense: 422 YPG, 30.25 PPG, 4 turnovers
2 blowout wins, Dalton over 100 rating each game and seen as one of the best in the league

I'm not trying to say that 2005 was clearly better or anything, but maybe it's closer than some believe, including myself. I really think that 2015 is just so fresh in our memories that we're giving them the edge for that reason alone, when I'm not so sure that's the case. Through 4 games, the 2005 team was damn good, especially that defense.
Reply/Quote
From "turd sandwich" to the best Bengals team since the SB squad. All in the span of a couple months.

Glad they are finally winning some Bengals fans over.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 10:43 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I see a few people in each of these threads say that we look better than the 2005 team. It may seem that way now, but how well does everybody actually remember what we looked like after 4 games in 2005? I mean, I remember that season pretty well, but I can't say that I can recall my exact feelings after week 4 a decade ago and I doubt anyone else would say that either. My point is, maybe the 2015 team just seems "better" because it's fresh in our minds? I even think I've agreed with people in the past about this 2015 group looking like the best Marvin led team, but now I'm looking at the box scores for a refresher.

Defense: 296.5 YPG, 9.5 PPG, 17 turnovers, 9 sacks (7 in one game though, and 2 games with zero sacks)
3 blowout wins, Carson over 100 rating each game and seen as one of the best in the league

2 blowout wins, Dalton over 100 rating each game and seen as one of the best in the league

I'm not trying to say that 2005 was clearly better or anything, but maybe it's closer than some believe, including myself. I really think that 2015 is just so fresh in our memories that we're giving them the edge for that reason alone, when I'm not so sure that's the case. Through 4 games, the 2005 team was damn good, especially that defense.
The 2005 defense was from my receletion more of an opportunitic defense, they didn't seem as much able to be stoppable unless we had a turnover, which they had a lot. Yet when they didn't create a turnover, they have up a lot of points and yards. This years defense seems more balanced and well rounded.
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I hope that they can handle everybody telling them how great they are over time. Once they start getting a bunch of love from the national media is when they usually self distruct. Hope it doesn't happen.

Marvin and the Browns deserves alot of credit for their work. I hope they can keep this team grounded. If they can and the team keeps improving they could be special.

Who Dey.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 10:43 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I see a few people in each of these threads say that we look better than the 2005 team. It may seem that way now, but how well does everybody actually remember what we looked like after 4 games in 2005? I mean, I remember that season pretty well, but I can't say that I can recall my exact feelings after week 4 a decade ago and I doubt anyone else would say that either. My point is, maybe the 2015 team just seems "better" because it's fresh in our minds? I even think I've agreed with people in the past about this 2015 group looking like the best Marvin led team, but now I'm looking at the box scores for a refresher.

Nope. I don't give that kind of praise without much thought. I do remember how I felt about the Bengals in 2005, even after week 4. Everyone was super pumped about Carson because he was in the process of tying the NFL record for most consecutive games with a 100+ passer rating.

Despite some pretty skewed early season stats, I'm pretty sure most rational people will conclude that the current defense is better than the 2005 version. That defense was great at forcing turnovers (18 int's came against the NFCN), but I'd trust this D in key moments over that one. Wouldn't you? 

The offenses are a push, imo.

This team is more mature, more tested, and more experienced than 2005 as well. So yes, I feel they are better, and no, it's not because they're the shiny new object. I'm not one to just blindly say this every year. I've never said a team was better than 2005 or 2013.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 12:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nope. I don't give that kind of praise without much thought. I do remember how I felt about the Bengals in 2005, even after week 4. Everyone was super pumped about Carson because he was in the process of tying the NFL record for most consecutive games with a 100+ passer rating.

Despite some pretty skewed early season stats, I'm pretty sure most rational people will conclude that the current defense is better than the 2005 version. That defense was great at forcing turnovers (18 int's came against the NFCN), but I'd trust this D in key moments over that one. Wouldn't you? 

The offenses are a push, imo.

This team is more mature, more tested, and more experienced than 2005 as well. So yes, I feel they are better, and no, it's not because they're the shiny new object. I'm not one to just blindly say this every year. I've never said a team was better than 2005 or 2013.

I know you aren't the type to do that, but I honestly just can't believe you that you knew exactly how you felt about the team after 4 weeks into a football season that happened 10 years ago. Sure, I can say that I probably was happy about the team too, but it's really tough to compare our feelings of how great we thought the team was at that point compared to what we're seeing and talking about right now. It's not just that they're the "shiny new object", just that it's much, much more fresh in our minds and possibly skewing the thought process when making the comparisons.

You can say the stats are skewed however much you'd like, but the facts are there and our defense wasn't giving up points through 4 weeks in 2005. Under 10 PPG is extremely impressive. I don't think many rational people would take our current defense over a group that wasn't letting the other team score more than 1-2 times in a game. We can judge the 2005 team based on the whole story because we know it now, which seems like what you're doing now. Only look at the first 4 games and base your thoughts on that alone. Is this defense "better"? I don't think that's fair to say. Even if you take out the garbage time points from the other team, the 2005 defense was still much more stingy on letting the opposition score than the current team.

WTS, I believe the 2015 defense will be seen as the better unit by the end of the year, but through 4 weeks the 2005 team looked unreal.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 01:25 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Hell has frozen over...I expect a loss against Seattle to bring Hell back to its normal temperatures.

that just started the "its christmas time in hell" song in my head from SP
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 01:11 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I know you aren't the type to do that, but I honestly just can't believe you that you knew exactly how you felt about the team after 4 weeks into a football season that happened 10 years ago. Sure, I can say that I probably was happy about the team too, but it's really tough to compare our feelings of how great we thought the team was at that point compared to what we're seeing and talking about right now. It's not just that they're the "shiny new object", just that it's much, much more fresh in our minds and possibly skewing the thought process when making the comparisons.

You can say the stats are skewed however much you'd like, but the facts are there and our defense wasn't giving up points through 4 weeks in 2005. Under 10 PPG is extremely impressive. I don't think many rational people would take our current defense over a group that wasn't letting the other team score more than 1-2 times in a game. We can judge the 2005 team based on the whole story because we know it now, which seems like what you're doing now. Only look at the first 4 games and base your thoughts on that alone. Is this defense "better"? I don't think that's fair to say. Even if you take out the garbage time points from the other team, the 2005 defense was still much more stingy on letting the opposition score than the current team.

WTS, I believe the 2015 defense will be seen as the better unit by the end of the year, but through 4 weeks the 2005 team looked unreal.

Why is that so hard to believe? 2005 was the first time in my life that I witnessed my favorite team have a winning season. I'd sat through 10+ years of suck before that, so I was pretty excited and that season will be fresh in my memory for many years. Shoot, I can remember how I felt about the 1995 team. 

Believe what you want though. Maybe I just have a good memory.

Point blank, this defense is more talented. The d-line is worlds better. Overall, the secondary is better. The scheme is better. James and Deltha were great at creating turnovers, but we gave up more big plays back in 2005. I'll concede that the '05 team had better LB's with Thurman and Simmons. I just feel better about our defensive talent now than I did about the '05 squad.

And again...this team is more mature and more experienced. 
Reply/Quote
Best team the Bengals have had since the 80's !

Legitimate contender if remaining healthy and Dalton keeps playing out of his mind.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
This team doesn't have the head cases the 05 team had. They had some phenomenal talent, but jeeeez Louise some just weren't wrapped to tight.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote