Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cornered RBs...
...I have a thing that's nagging me, I guess I see at least one situation like that in a game. There's a handoff or often a pitch to a RB, but there's no running room, the D sworms in, and even though the RB can run a little to the sides, the loss of several yards is unavoidable.

Why does no RB ever in that situation just throw the ball out of bounds? They always tiptoe a little or something like that and then get piled for a loss. Throwing an incompletion doesn't seem to be an option though. Why is that?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 10:14 PM)hollodero Wrote: ...I have a thing that's nagging me, I guess I see at least one situation like that in a game. There's a handoff or often a pitch to a RB, but there's no running room, the D sworms in, and even though the RB can run a little to the sides, the loss of several yards is unavoidable.

Why does no RB ever in that situation just throw the ball out of bounds? They always tiptoe a little or something like that and then get piled for a loss. Throwing an incompletion doesn't seem to be an option though. Why is that?

The rules state you are only allowed to have a certain number of player downfield when the ball is thrown. During a run play there is probably one or two offensive linemen who are more than 2 yards past the line of scrimmage, along with the WRs running decoy routes or blocking downfield due to soft coverage. If a RB threw it out of bounds they would get penalized for ineligible man downfield.

At least I think this is the reason why  Mellow  
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 10:33 PM)MrRager Wrote: The rules state you are only allowed to have a certain number of player downfield when the ball is thrown. During a run play there is probably one or two offensive linemen who are more than 2 yards past the line of scrimmage, along with the WRs running decoy routes or blocking downfield due to soft coverage. If a RB threw it out of bounds they would get penalized for ineligible man downfield.

At least I think this is the reason why  Mellow  

Right. That makes sense.

Still, often even a five yard penalty would be better than getting buried with a loss and also lose the down. But in any case it doesn't seem so intriguing to throw it, so I now also think that's the reason why.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 10:48 PM)hollodero Wrote: Right. That makes sense.

Still, often even a five yard penalty would be better than getting buried with a loss and also lose the down. But in any case it doesn't seem so intriguing to throw it, so I now also think that's the reason why.

That's actually not a bad idea.  You get the down over.  You'd probably have to look at their ability to stop and throw the ball in each situation.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote