Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car windshield replacement.
Wife and I were coming home and a truck kicked a rock up from the interstate and hit my windshield. I heard it, but didn’t see any cracks. We stopped at Red Robin (first time I’ve ever been and I loved the food) to get a bite to eat. Had a nice meal and when we came out, there was about a 12 inch crack from the bottom left driver side straight through my field of view.

My wife suggested we report it to insurance but I told her it would probably just make our insurance go up. Our deductible is $500, so it wouldn’t be worth it imo. Guess I will just have to pay out of pocket unless anyone might have some suggestions from experience.

I don’t think it’s repairable once it cracks so I’m kinda screwed there I think. Anyway, looking for advice.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Check with Safelite for a quote. Might be cheaper than your deductible depending on the model of car. A crack that big isn't likely to be repaired and will probably spread. So you are probably looking at a replacement.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
A motorcycle helmet is cheaper than a new windshield. So just bust out the windshield and wear a helmet.

You will save even more money with no future wiper replacements or washer fluid.
Reply/Quote
My insurance does free crack repair (GEICO)...i thought that was standard....upon googling i guess it varies by state.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 07:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Wife and I were coming home and a truck kicked a rock up from the interstate and hit my windshield. I heard it, but didn’t see any cracks. We stopped at Red Robin (first time I’ve ever been and I loved the food) to get a bite to eat. Had a nice meal and when we came out, there was about a 12 inch crack from the bottom left driver side straight through my field of view.

My wife suggested we report it to insurance but I told her it would probably just make our insurance go up. Our deductible is $500, so it wouldn’t be worth it imo. Guess I will just have to pay out of pocket unless anyone might have some suggestions from experience.

I don’t think it’s repairable once it cracks so I’m kinda screwed there I think. Anyway, looking for advice.

It's funny, but that is how it always happens for me too: I hear the rock hit, but don't see any damage until I get out and come back later. Weird.

Check your insurance policy. As baseballguy said, it can vary by area. But most treat windshield damage separate. It happens out here a lot (lot's of rocks in Arizona) and I have never had to pay a deductible for a windshield.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 09:38 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: It's funny, but that is how it always happens for me too: I hear the rock hit, but don't see any damage until I get out and come back later. Weird.

Check your insurance policy. As baseballguy said, it can vary by area. But most treat windshield damage separate. It happens out here a lot (lot's of rocks in Arizona) and I have never had to pay a deductible for a windshield.

I hope there's no deductible on the windshield. I was doing some research this morning and came upon an article that said the average windshield replacement was between 250-400 hundred. However, mine has rain detection and HUD. Article was stating anywhere from 1k-4.5k for replacement. Yeeeeoooowwwww. Wish I would have written down the name of that pump truck in front of me, but tbh, i can't prove it came from that truck. It was rush hour in Dayton and there were several vehicles in front of me.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 10:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I hope there's no deductible on the windshield. I was doing some research this morning and came upon an article that said the average windshield replacement was between 250-400 hundred. However, mine has rain detection and HUD. Article was stating anywhere from 1k-4.5k for replacement. Yeeeeoooowwwww. Wish I would have written down the name of that pump truck in front of me, but tbh, i can't prove it came from that truck. It was rush hour in Dayton and there were several vehicles in front of me.

Insurance won't cover it. Even if it did and the deductible made sense, you should use it. Never understood why people pay into insurance but never use it. 

Safelite usually offers standard windshields without the tech - so you have the option to either pay up for the tech or pay down for the standard windshield. 

I had my Jeep windshield replaced and I had some kind of heat sensor or somethin on my windshield and it was going to be like 3x the cost. I said fugg that and got a standard one for significantly cheaper. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 10:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: However, mine has rain detection and HUD. Article was stating anywhere from 1k-4.5k for replacement.

Shocked

WTF
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 10:46 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I had my Jeep windshield replaced and I had some kind of heat sensor or somethin on my windshield and it was going to be like 3x the cost. I said fugg that and got a standard one for significantly cheaper. 

Do they still put the radio antenna in the windshield?
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 10:46 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Insurance won't cover it. Even if it did and the deductible made sense, you should use it. Never understood why people pay into insurance but never use it. 

Safelite usually offers standard windshields without the tech - so you have the option to either pay up for the tech or pay down for the standard windshield. 

I had my Jeep windshield replaced and I had some kind of heat sensor or somethin on my windshield and it was going to be like 3x the cost. I said fugg that and got a standard one for significantly cheaper. 

The reason people try to avoid using insurance is because they don't want their rates going up. Also, too many claims (big or small) will lead them to drop you. And by too many, 2-3 is too many within a 3yr period for many insurance companies. 

I checked with our insurance lady and she said it would cover replacing the windshield but we would have to cover the deductible. Safelite is giving me an estimate of $1200. I could get the basic windshield I guess, but that makes the other technology I paid for useless. What's the point in that?

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 09:38 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: It's funny, but that is how it always happens for me too: I hear the rock hit, but don't see any damage until I get out and come back later. Weird.

Heat or sudden temperature changes is the culprit. It wasn't split before we went into the restaurant, but the car got hot inside with the windows up and the crack was 12' when we came out about 45 minutes later. When I worked in Brookhaven, MS - I noticed a lot of cracked windshields there too. I would guess about 20% (sounds exaggerated but I really don't think it is) of windshields were cracked. My first stop should have been to a glass repair shop but as mentioned, I didn't see a crack or even a chip.

I rough measured the crack this morning and it was 16" and will probably be much worse by EOD. Yeah... I know I kind of set myself up for crack jokes.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 10:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I hope there's no deductible on the windshield. I was doing some research this morning and came upon an article that said the average windshield replacement was between 250-400 hundred. However, mine has rain detection and HUD. Article was stating anywhere from 1k-4.5k for replacement. Yeeeeoooowwwww. Wish I would have written down the name of that pump truck in front of me, but tbh, i can't prove it came from that truck. It was rush hour in Dayton and there were several vehicles in front of me.

HUD... Dang! What you driving' there, boss man? A caddy?

I got rain detection too. It's called, "Look at that drop there on the windshield. Better hit the wipers!" Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 01:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The reason people try to avoid using insurance is because they don't want their rates going up. Also, too many claims (big or small) will lead them to drop you. And by too many, 2-3 is too many within a 3yr period for many insurance companies. 

I checked with our insurance lady and she said it would cover replacing the windshield but we would have to cover the deductible. Safelite is giving me an estimate of $1200. I could get the basic windshield I guess, but that makes the other technology I paid for useless. What's the point in that?

You do realize that the HUD and Rain Sensors aren't in the windshield.....don't you?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 01:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The reason people try to avoid using insurance is because they don't want their rates going up. Also, too many claims (big or small) will lead them to drop you. And by too many, 2-3 is too many within a 3yr period for many insurance companies. 

Well that's the tradeoff lol 

If you don't want to pay for it then you would lose that tech, if you don't want to lose the tech then quit your bitching cheap ass. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Is it covered under "collision" or "comprehensive".  I don't believe a claim on the comprehensive coverage has as much effect on your rates.  If you have not had a claim in a while I don't think one claim of any type will cause your rates to rise.

But I am far from an insurance expert.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 03:05 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Well that's the tradeoff lol 

If you don't want to pay for it then you would lose that tech, if you don't want to lose the tech then quit your bitching cheap ass. 

As I said you won't lose the tech with a "regular" windshield. The HUD may not be as crisp, but unless you're Maverick going MACH 2 while fighting Russian Migs; it really doesn't matter. The rain sensor for the wipers should have 0 issues.

So the choices are:

Pay about $1000K for the "polarized winshield'

Pay about $250 for a non-polarized windshield and get a slightly degraded HUD experience

Move to KY where windshield replacements are free. 

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 01:23 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: HUD... Dang! What you driving' there, boss man? A caddy?

I got rain detection too. It's called, "Look at that drop there on the windshield. Better hit the wipers!" Hilarious

Hell download an HUD App to your phone and you can have HUD in the Zona mobile 

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 04:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell download an HUD App to your phone and you can have HUD in the Zona mobile 

Hey, brother bfine! Good to see ya!

Well, I downloaded the HUD app. But now, I just get daily updates on the housing market! (LOL!)
Reply/Quote
[Image: 294831300_10159075272852877_736338288979...e=62E8D70A]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 01:23 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: HUD... Dang! What you driving' there, boss man? A caddy?

Fully loaded 2019 Hyundai Sante Fe. This car has everything. I bought it for my wife (I drive a 1998 Buick Century and a 2010 Saturn Outlook as a spare). 

Speaking of the rain detection, I was driving yesterday and out of nowhere the wipers did a swipe. I looked at my wife and said, WTF was that? She just laughed at me. 

(07-29-2022, 01:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You do realize that the HUD and Rain Sensors aren't in the windshield.....don't you?

I’ve learned a lot today. So, unfortunately I have to say I wasn’t sure at first. One guy (Weezy’s gonna love this part) told me he could replace for 560. I asked him why the others wanted 1200? He said, well, because they order them from Taiwan or Korea (can’t remember what country for sure) from the original mfg of the windshield, and that he has the same windshield, made in America (Merica Cool ) and it’s identical.

I was skeptical at first at Weezy’s suggestion, but now I’m in agreement. Plus, I found out I know the guy and he does all our windshield replacements where I work and does an excellent job. He also stated he never once had a replacement on a Hyundai because it’s plug & play (whatever that means).

Reply/Quote