Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car windshield replacement.
(07-28-2022, 11:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A motorcycle helmet is cheaper than a new windshield.  So just bust out the windshield and wear a helmet.

You will save even more money with no future wiper replacements or washer fluid.

Other than being illegal in most jurisdictions GREAT IDEA!  HEY! Get rid of the pesky engine and buy a horse! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 09:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Fully loaded 2019 Hyundai Sante Fe. This car has everything. I bought it for my wife (I drive a 1998 Buick Century and a 2010 Saturn Outlook as a spare). 

Speaking of the rain detection, I was driving yesterday and out of nowhere the wipers did a swipe. I looked at my wife and said, WTF was that? She just laughed at me. 

I’ve learned a lot today. So, unfortunately I have to say I wasn’t sure at first. One guy (Weezy’s gonna love this part) told me he could replace for 560. I asked him why the others wanted 1200? He said, well, because they order them from Taiwan or Korea (can’t remember what country for sure) from the original mfg of the windshield, and that he has the same windshield, made in America (Merica Cool ) and it’s identical.

I was skeptical at first at Weezy’s suggestion, but now I’m in agreement. Plus, I found out I know the guy and he does all our windshield replacements where I work and does an excellent job. He also stated he never once had a replacement on a Hyundai because it’s plug & play (whatever that means).

That was a nice break to catch, in an otherwise unlucky day.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Feel lucky you don't live right by a golf course built before your house was built. When a golf ball hits your windshield it's on you. Insurance won't even cover it at least in SC. My dads place was right along the fair way so..his claim was always a rock hit it on the road whether it was or not and insurance covered it every time and it was his agent who told him to say that. 
Anyway..I did body work for years. Back then a windshield installed was under $100, but that was 25 years ago.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 07:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Wife and I were coming home and a truck kicked a rock up from the interstate and hit my windshield. I heard it, but didn’t see any cracks. We stopped at Red Robin (first time I’ve ever been and I loved the food) to get a bite to eat. Had a nice meal and when we came out, there was about a 12 inch crack from the bottom left driver side straight through my field of view.

My wife suggested we report it to insurance but I told her it would probably just make our insurance go up. Our deductible is $500, so it wouldn’t be worth it imo. Guess I will just have to pay out of pocket unless anyone might have some suggestions from experience.

I don’t think it’s repairable once it cracks so I’m kinda screwed there I think. Anyway, looking for advice.
Had the samething happen to me. I have State Farm and it was covered under comprehensive. The window cost $1300 and I didn't pay a dime. My rate stayed the same. 
Reply/Quote
I’ve had to replace the front and later both driver side windows during the past year. $100 deductible with Safelite both times. Hasn’t affected insurance. (Yet.)
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2022, 02:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I’ve had to replace the front and later both driver side windows during the past year. $100 deductible with Safelite both times. Hasn’t affected insurance. (Yet.)

Whos your insurance company?

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2022, 02:52 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Whos your insurance company?

Allstate. Home and auto.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 02:43 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Allstate. Home and auto.

Sounds like your in good hands. 

Reply/Quote