Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Card Collecting (NFL)
Sorry in advance if this is somehow posted in the wrong forum!

I was curious if anyone here collected NFL Cards? I used to collect 15 years ago and I just one day decided to give everything I had to someone I knew. I was just trying to get rid of clutter in my home and I didn't think I would ever miss collecting.

I'm looking to get back into card collecting, but I would like some advice on brands. Panini seems to be the way to go. Me and the wife are building our first house (first house in general fwiw) and I'm already excited about having my first man cave/room to fill with my memorabilia. Other than drawing and gaming being my only real two hobbies, I want to get back into collecting cards. What packs/brands are likely to score the best cards? I kind of collected cards somewhat blindly 15 years ago (I'm 28 now) and I would like to start again fresh with some good knowledge so I don't waste money on throw away packs or cards that aren't worth much to a collector. What brands do collectors go after? Panini? Upper Deck? Topps (do they still make NFL cards)?

I'm after what most card collectors are after and that's auto's/memorabilia/rookie cards (NFL only). Any advice/help would be appreciated. I did a forum search before deciding to make this thread and I couldn't find anything. My wording could have been off... Thanks in advance!!

EDIT: Also! Where to buy? Online or in store (Target, DICK'S, Wal-Mart, etc.)?
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
I do, since 1992. Collect because you love to collect, not because you think it will be worth something later on.

I used to buy packs, but now just collect singles because pack-busting will most likely leave you with a clutter you don't want.

But choose what you do for collecting:
- set builder
- team set builder/team collector
- player collector
- type collector
These are just a few to give you ideas.

I usually shop on eBay. Panini seems to have come to the forefront of brands. I would avoid sticker autographs - those do not look right and should not be in the hobby. Sell them off every chance you get. On-card/hard-signed autographs are a different story.

If you are starting over, I recommend buying singles. It saves you the clutter yet you have something you want. It's better to have one great item than several of mediocre ones.

I'm glad there is someone to talk shop with now.

[Image: Xdqv98K.jpg]
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I was barely even aware there was such a thing, but hey! I have a Nick Senzel rookie card if anyone wants to to cough up the dough .. Mellow  I got it for my grandkids one day when I mistakenly believed myself to be rich. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My son just told me he has several old, signed Bengals cards he might part with for the right price. I have no idea what he's asking, but he's not giving them away either..
Tim McGee, David Fulcher, Jim Breech and Tim Krumrie..all signed in mint or near mint condition..
Anyone interested make him an offer via a PM to me. I'll pass it along. There also a signed Barry Larkin card it it as well..and a few others.. No dog eared or bent corners.. He got em in an auction awhile back buying an entire lot of junk..
[Image: Message_15829390288401-scaled.jpg]

[Image: Message_1582939063444-scaled.jpg]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I inherited like 20 boxes of cards, mostly baseball and NFL some completely untouched.

Big boxes with thousands of cards in each one.

I just haven't been able to look through them as it would take so much damn time.

Would be interested in knowing what they would be worth to someone who has the space.

I am all the way in Wyoming and I will have to either hire someone to go through them or just burn them which I
don't want to do. I saw some rookie cards in there of some great players like Nolan Ryan, Bo Jackson and many
other great players that just don't come to mind right now. Some of these boxes have been completely untouched
and mint, some on the other hand are shit so...

This is an interesting thread, I am almost thinking of going through these and using them as a collage on my bar
wall instead of just burning them but it will take a lot of time either way.
Reply/Quote
Resurrecting this thread because of my recent trip down the Panini Prizm rabbit hole. I'm fairly obsessed with their 2020 football right now, as I think the rookie class of quarterbacks is potentially outstanding. I have yet to find any retail and have been buying singles and a few cello packs on eBay.

Anyone here having any luck with them? They are as addictive as cocaine and probably a lot more expensive, literally.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 09:17 PM)samhain Wrote: Resurrecting this thread because of my recent trip down the Panini Prizm rabbit hole.  I'm fairly obsessed with their 2020 football right now, as I think the rookie class of quarterbacks is potentially outstanding.  I have yet to find any retail and have been buying singles and a few cello packs on eBay.  

Anyone here having any luck with them?  They are as addictive as cocaine and probably a lot more expensive, literally.

Don't buy packs. These are the leftover packs after they searched the box for the 'hits' (the main cards that have value - usually rookie cards and rare inserts). I find it's better to get singles of the players you want than just trying to get them by "lottery". Trust me, you will be happier starting out this way. Below is a sample of my collection. I started collecting modern cards in January of 1992 and by 2005 I started adding vintage cards to my collection.

[Image: normal_Chad_Johnson_AU.jpg][Image: normal_BB3.jpg][Image: normal_01_Longoria_RC_AU_A.jpg][Image: normal_1986MJRC.jpg]
[Image: normal_1993_SC_Munoz_PSA_10.jpg]
[Image: normal_09UDBlackKenAnderson1of1a.jpg]
[Image: normal_Chris_Henry_AU.jpg]
[Image: 7I5owEP.jpg]
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 11:30 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Don't buy packs. These are the leftover packs after they searched the box for the 'hits' (the main cards that have value - usually rookie cards and rare inserts). I find it's better to get singles of the players you want than just trying to get them by "lottery". Trust me, you will be happier starting out this way. Below is a sample of my collection. I started collecting modern cards in January of 1992 and by 2005 I started adding vintage cards to my collection.

[Image: normal_Chad_Johnson_AU.jpg][Image: normal_BB3.jpg][Image: normal_01_Longoria_RC_AU_A.jpg][Image: normal_1986MJRC.jpg]

I figured something was up.  Prizm is shady as hell anyway since you have to buy on the secondary market most of the time.  I don't have anything as cool as the stuff you showed me, but I did just get a jersey card with Ken Anderson/Andy Dalton/Joe Burrow the other day.  No too expensive, but cool.  I've mainly been buying Burrow and Higgins stuff.  Best Prize I have is a Burrow orange disco that I bought on eBay through auction.  

I'm inevitably going to get a Burrow silver, but I need the Christmas spending hangover to wear off a bit.  

Do you think the sealed boxes are okay to buy or are they picked over as well?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 01:54 AM)samhain Wrote: I figured something was up.  Prizm is shady as hell anyway since you have to buy on the secondary market most of the time.  I don't have anything as cool as the stuff you showed me, but I did just get a jersey card with Ken Anderson/Andy Dalton/Joe Burrow the other day.  No too expensive, but cool.  I've mainly been buying Burrow and Higgins stuff.  Best Prize I have is a Burrow orange disco that I bought on eBay through auction.  

I'm inevitably going to get a Burrow silver, but I need the Christmas spending hangover to wear off a bit.  
Do you think the sealed boxes are okay to buy or are they picked over as well?

Sealed boxes are fine and pretty much the preferred way. Also, around late February and into March is when things slow down for the football card market since hockey, basketball, and the anticipation of spring training just around the corner take the forefront of sports (until Draft Day in April) so it is the best time to buy football. 

The only thing I have of Joe Burrow is a Rated Rookie card. His injury was somewhat of a blessing in disguise because win or lose he was ON FIRE and everyone noticed. But since he has been out of the limelight, things cooled off and I was able to get that card at a lower price.

This is a stock photo of the card since I do not have a scanner at my new place:
[Image: 71rsmpv6u%2BL._AC_SL1056_.jpg]

I'd love to see pics of the Bengals stuff you have.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I'll try. I've honestly never posted a pic on here, but wil try here in bit.

That Burrow is nice. I haven't looked at much Donruss, but will check them out. Very sharp card.

It seems like basketball is on fire. I don't have interest, but my brother, who's pretty hardcore with collecting is really into it. By into it, I mean he has a dozen silver Luka prizms, one of them a PSA 10. He bought every Luka card he could back in late 2018 or so and sat on them. He's sold a lot of it, but needless to say he made pretty good there.

I remember talking to him when Rona was starting. I asked him if the market would tank with people having less disposable income and he laughed at me. It's absolutely insane now with actual major investors involved. It honestly doesn't make any sense, but is what it is.
Reply/Quote
Go to Dean's cards if you want to plug in some names and check prices. Condition is a really big factor.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 04:05 PM)samhain Wrote: I'll try.  I've honestly never posted a pic on here, but wil try here in bit.

That Burrow is nice.  I haven't looked at much Donruss, but will check them out. Very sharp card.

It seems like basketball is on fire.  I don't have interest, but my brother, who's pretty hardcore with collecting is really into it.  By into it, I mean he has a dozen silver Luka prizms, one of them a PSA 10.  He bought every Luka card he could back in late 2018 or so and sat on them.  He's sold a lot of it, but needless to say he made pretty good there.  

I remember talking to him when Rona was starting.  I asked him if the market would tank with people having less disposable income and he laughed at me.  It's absolutely insane now with actual major investors involved.  It honestly doesn't make any sense, but is what it is.

When they bring up the word "invest", it makes me chuckle. It's more like "speculation" than anything else. I did the same thing with Harold Miner cards - he was considered the next Michael Jordan at the time and thus was given the moniker "Baby Jordan". I bought every card I could of him. However, I saw he couldn't do anything else on the court where things mattered. Once he won the Slam Dunk contest in his rookie year, I sold every Harold Miner card I had for 50% of what they went for. It was still a killing. By the end of the season, his hype fizzled out. The only one who I thought had similar skills to MJ was Latrell Sprewell in his rookie year. I collected to keep because I liked this guy. Killed like a windfall for collecting a player who was drafted 24th overall, but as luck would have it, he gone snuffeluppagus crazy. But that's ok. The memories is what can't be taken away every time I look at his cards, like when he torched the Knicks for 41 points as a rookie.

When it comes to "investment", I do have a theory involving FB cards. The key position is the backup QB.
You can see my theory/philosophy here: https://misappropriatedfunds.weebly.com/ - it's my old webpage, probably last updated sometime back in 2013. I should start a new one when I have the time.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I used to collect. But have sold off most of my collection. If anyone is interested in the rest of it, PM me.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
For those of you who collect, check your inventory if you have any cards that are graded a PSA 10 of Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, or anyone of that caliber. Something weird is going on. There are buyers scooping up high-end investment-grade cards.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 11:30 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Don't buy packs. These are the leftover packs after they searched the box for the 'hits' (the main cards that have value - usually rookie cards and rare inserts). I find it's better to get singles of the players you want than just trying to get them by "lottery". Trust me, you will be happier starting out this way. Below is a sample of my collection. I started collecting modern cards in January of 1992 and by 2005 I started adding vintage cards to my collection.

Nice. Cool
Reply/Quote