Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career QB passer rating of active QBs
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

After reading the 20th article about QB rankings this offseason (the most recent was a MMQB article about Carr's new contract), I decided to pull up a simple career QB rating and compare Dalton to active QBs.

He is ranked 9th. Ahead of such "franchise QBs" as Luck, Tannehill, Stafford, Newton, Alex Smith, Flacco, and Eli Manning.

I also found it interesting that he is ahead of elite QBs that have since retired in Favre, Jim Kelly, and Dan Marino. He is also way ahead of Troy Aikman....all in the Hall of Fame.

I understand the QB rating system is somewhat flawed and that QBs can have super high QB ratings with a bunch of 5 yard passes that go for 15 yards (Piggy), and it perhaps over-rewards QB efficiency. Nonetheless, I have always preferred it to the ESPN-genenrated QBR, which takes in to account such things as come-from-behind play and other things.

Coming in to the league the same time as Newton, and a year earlier than Luck and Tannehill, some might be surprised that he has the edge on them. Granted, he can't rush the ball like Newton. He's also ahead of guys that have been in the league much longer like Palmer and Stafford.

I think he is just now reaching what everyone likes to call "elite status". What he did behind that line, with no rushing attack, and many of his weapons depleted was nothing short of outstanding. However, the team went 6-9-1 thanks in large part to a horrible kicking game.

This year, I believe Dalton will raise the interest of the National Media just as he was in 2015 before the injury. Only this time, he will finish the job.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2017, 09:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

He is ranked 9th.  Ahead of such "franchise QBs" as Luck, Tannehill, Stafford, Newton, Alex Smith, Flacco, and Eli Manning.  

He's tied with the elite Matt Schuab. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2017, 09:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: He's tied with the elite Matt Schuab. 

Schaub didn't start that poorly, but then he went to Houston, where QBs go to die....
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2017, 09:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: He's tied with the elite Matt Schuab. 

Schaub had a hell of a season in 2009, with nearly 68% completion % and just under 4800 yards passing.  

I noticed he was a backup at Atlanta last year.  Now, I am convinced that he is the reason the Falcons lost the Super Bowl... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2017, 09:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Schaub didn't start that poorly, but then he went to Houston, where QBs go to die....

(07-04-2017, 09:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Schaub had a hell of a season in 2009, with nearly 68% completion % and just under 4800 yards passing.  

I noticed he was a backup at Atlanta last year.  Now, I am convinced that he is the reason the Falcons lost the Super Bowl... Hilarious

Schaub actually did very well in Houston. He had an injury filled down year in 2013 and the owner thought the wise move was to trade him for a 6th rd pick and roll with Case Keenum. 

Reply/Quote
Andy plays for the Bengals. Did anyone really even think he would get the respect he deserves outside of the fan base? Andy could throw for 6000 yards and 52 TDs this year and still be called Mr Average. It's the Kenny Anderson curse or something like that. 
Now if he were traded to any other team he'd instantly be called the greatest QB since sliced bread. Better than Wonder bread even! (which I never really liked to be honest, but I did get to go on a Wonder bread factory tour in grade school once. I remember the mouse traps everywhere and the huge vitamin pill they put in every batch.. Yeah, they actually did that. Builds strong bodies 12 ways. They never mentioned how constipating white bread is which would be a great selling point, eh?) 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
There are 15 active QBs that qualify for playoff passer rating. Can you guess where Elite Andy falls:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_active_playoffs.htm

This is what gets Andy "disrespected" more than the color of his jersey.

Reply/Quote
There should be a Gresham asterisk beside Andy's playoff rating.

Because that dude dropped a lot of catchable balls in that first Houston game.

But yes, Dalton and the Bengals need to pick up their pace in playoffs.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2017, 11:46 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There are 15 active QBs that qualify for playoff passer rating. Can you guess where Elite Andy falls:

[Image: Lewis.jpg]

If you combine the stats of the other 3 QBs to suit up in the playoffs for Marvin Lewis, they'd also rank dead last.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2017, 10:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Schaub actually did very well in Houston. He had an injury filled down year in 2013 and the owner thought the wise move was to trade him for a 6th rd pick and roll with Case Keenum. 

Well, he started pretty well in Houston, but he was approaching Palmer's pick six title toward the end.  I think he had one in something ridiculous like five straight games. 
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2017, 12:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: There should be a Gresham asterisk beside Andy's playoff rating.

Because that dude dropped a lot of catchable balls in that first Houston game.

But yes, Dalton and the Bengals need to pick up their pace in playoffs.

Yep, and he took at team that everyone thought would go 0-16 to the playoffs without OTAs in his rookie season.  Yeah, he struggled in three out of five of his playoff appearances.  He sucks.

Good thing no one gave up on the likes of Manning or Elway, who also sucked in the playoffs many a times before winning the big game.  
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2017, 01:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: Lewis.jpg]

If you combine the stats of the other 3 QBs to suit up in the playoffs for Marvin Lewis, they'd also rank dead last.

If I am not mistaken, I think piggy had a QB rating of 21 in his first super bowl.  21.  

In the Super Bowl.  And they won.  21.  Funny, that only someone like me on a Bengal's Message Board would ever bring that up....because his team carried him and they won.  That makes him great?  Dalton's entire team failed in the post season, and a lot of it could be contributed to their coach as well.  

I'm going to love how once Dalton wins a Super Bowl this year that all this stupid re-hashing of playoff losses from 6 years ago just fades away.  Be the one to de-throne the pats once and for all.  The team that ends the dynasty.  
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2017, 11:46 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There are 15 active QBs that qualify for playoff passer rating. Can you guess where Elite Andy falls:

So you take a very small sample of games (playoffs) and totally ignore the regular season and the much bigger sample. Typical nonsense from an AD basher.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2017, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I am not mistaken, I think piggy had a QB rating of 21 in his first super bowl.  21.  

In the Super Bowl.  And they won.  21.  Funny, that only someone like me on a Bengal's Message Board would ever bring that up....because his team carried him and they won.  That makes him great?  Dalton's entire team failed in the post season, and a lot of it could be contributed to their coach as well.  

I'm going to love how once Dalton wins a Super Bowl this year that all this stupid re-hashing of playoff losses from 6 years ago just fades away.  Be the one to de-throne the pats once and for all.  The team that ends the dynasty.  

Excellent, excellent, excellent point.  This just reinforces what I have been saying for years.  Other teams don't ALWAYS fold when one guy has an off play, or even an off day.  When one thing doesn't go according to plan, this team folds like a cheap tent.  Now, we *could* say that all of the players we have had on our roster since 2002 were/are ALL choke artists, or we *could* say that our teams are ill prepared for adversity and are mentally weak.  

What would be the most logical assumption based on those criteria?  I wonder........ Hmm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2017, 08:39 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you take a very small sample of games (playoffs) and totally ignore the regular season and the much bigger sample. Typical nonsense from an AD basher.

Not a small sample, just the criteria used by the site to rank. If we were to consider small sample sizes then the likes of Dak and Marriota would be ahead of Andy. 

I don't understand why bringing in the same criteria and the same site that the OP used gets classified as Andy Bashing. Is it because he did poorly? 

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2017, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I am not mistaken, I think piggy had a QB rating of 21 in his first super bowl.  21.  

Is that the year that Ben had games with post-season passer ratings of 148.7, 95.3, and 124.9 while throwing 7 TDs, 1 INT, and 680 yards leading up to the SB? I also believe that run included the game saving tackle that Ben made after a Bettis fumble. While his D allowed no fewer than 17 points per game. Yep, Ben sure was lucky his team carried him that Post Season. 

Reply/Quote
How much different would people's rankings change if only the regular season were taken into account?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2017, 01:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is that the year that Ben had games with post-season passer ratings of 148.7, 95.3, and 124.9 while throwing 7 TDs, 1 INT, and 680 yards leading up to the SB? I also believe that run included the game saving tackle that Ben made after a Bettis fumble. While his D allowed no fewer than 17 points per game. Yep, Ben sure was lucky his team carried him that Post Season. 

While throwing 10 passes in one game 12 in the the next and 11 in the final example. With 2 passes further than 12 yards through the air.

#these are not actual looked up stats, but suffice is to say they weren't in any way riding Big Jen's arm ! But don't let the facts get in the way of a good AD bashing.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2017, 01:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: While throwing 10 passes in one game 12 in the the next and 11 in the final example. With 2 passes further than 12 yards through the air.

#these are not actual looked up stats, but suffice is to say they weren't in any way riding Big Jen's arm ! But don't let the facts get in the way of a good AD bashing.

Ben threw 72 passes in that playoff run, you made up stats, and somehow, someway; I'm the one that shouldn't let facts get in the way. Please explain what exactly I have done to bash Andy. 

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2017, 01:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: How much different would people's rankings change if only the regular season were taken into account?

I think Andy would leap frog Eli and Flacco without question. He would also most likely surpass Alex Smith in my book. It is my opinion that nobody with the Andy fathead on their wall considers Andy's playoff performance at all. It is other people's fault. 

Reply/Quote