Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Lawson
Carl Lawson is a freaking monster!! Im glad that he was good enough that even Marvin couldnt keep him out of the rotation because he is a rookie.

It is nice finally seeing one of these "hidden gems" actually looking like he is going to be a superstar. I love that he is here but its a shame that no one will get to see him. If he played for the Giants, Cowboys or Jets he would be on the front page of every sports website right now.

Round 4 from the Sec has been kind to our defense!!
Reply/Quote
Jets. Not on front page, as for the continuing misconception rookies do play for the Bengals there's a lot of circumstance that goes into it it is not this Marvin myth as so many people want to perpetuate
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 09:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Jets.  Not on front page, as for the continuing misconception rookies do play for the Bengals there's a lot of circumstance that goes into it it is not this Marvin myth as so many people want to perpetuate

Ok. lol.   The title of this thread is Carl Lawson. Do you have anything to add about him or did you just want to poop on my parade.
Reply/Quote
Steal of the draft and glad he is a Bengal

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 09:29 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Ok. lol.   The title of this thread is Carl Lawson. Do you have anything to add about him or did you just want to poop on my parade.

Yes excellent job by marvin and staff in drafting him and way they played him in preseason  and early in season was a good transition for him
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 09:44 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Steal of the draft and glad he is a Bengal

Absolutely is thus far, and I love Willis and Smith as well.  We are just starting to see what a pass rush means to this defense.  
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 09:07 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Carl Lawson is a freaking monster!! Im glad that he was good enough that even Marvin couldnt keep him out of the rotation because he is a rookie.  

It is nice finally seeing one of these "hidden gems" actually looking like he is going to be a superstar.  I love that he is here but its a shame that no one will get to see him. If he played for the Giants, Cowboys or Jets he would be on the front page of every sports website right now.

Kinda feel like he's just getting started too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
He'll be scouted better and better, but he's a handful. Got to eventually help Geno and Carlos, too, and I think Willis is just getting started. They can't double team everybody.
Reply/Quote
i love Lawson. many here were really high on him and im glad the Bengals finally decided to go for smaller, quicker, dlineman, rather than the usual stiffs, Hunt , Clarke, etc.. i love this defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 03:19 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: He'll be scouted better and better, but he's a handful.  Got to eventually help Geno and Carlos, too, and I think Willis is just getting started.  They can't double team everybody.

To that point, I love the relentless nature of Lawson.  He was chipped by a RB, double-teamed by a tackle and TE, and he STILL got home.  Dude just doesn't give up on the first attempt at blocking him.  Right now, that is becoming contagious.

None of the other, more experienced guys want to get shown up a by 4th round rookie.  Look at Dunlap, MJ, Geno, etc.  They are playing lights out as well.  

Next step?  More INTs from the secondary from that pressure.  Iloka's INT to seal the game was just the beginning. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 07:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To that point, I love the relentless nature of Lawson.  He was chipped by a RB, double-teamed by a tackle and TE, and he STILL got home.  Dude just doesn't give up on the first attempt at blocking him.  Right now, that is becoming contagious.

None of the other, more experienced guys want to get shown up a by 4th round rookie.  Look at Dunlap, MJ, Geno, etc.  They are playing lights out as well.  

Next step?  More INTs from the secondary from that pressure.  Iloka's INT to seal the game was just the beginning. 

Yeah I was pretty sure Michael Johnson was done. He has stepped up and played great football.  This defense as a whole has been dominant. I just worry about them getting stops against Elite Qb's. Then again , everyone worries about that.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 12:18 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yeah I was pretty sure Michael Johnson was done. He has stepped up and played great football.  This defense as a whole has been dominant. I just worry about them getting stops against Elite Qb's. Then again , everyone worries about that.

elite QBs will make plays but you make them beat you and work their way down the field no big gains and it should be good...   we seem to be averaging 1 broken coverage every 2 games,
Reply/Quote
I think the fact of us using him at DE instead of an every down LBer will help his past issues.........we finally have that monster opposite Carlos Dunlap we have been looking for!!!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 12:18 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yeah I was pretty sure Michael Johnson was done. He has stepped up and played great football.  This defense as a whole has been dominant. I just worry about them getting stops against Elite Qb's. Then again , everyone worries about that.

Agreed MJ has improved since the role change. My main concern though for next year is is he worth keeping in that same new role at $6.125 million or better off cutting to save $5 million to put toward some other player? I'm still leaning the latter but happy he's doing better this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:27 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Absolutely is thus far, and I love Willis and Smith as well.  We are just starting to see what a pass rush means to this defense.  

What about Kareem Hunt?

That's the only other rookie I think that I would put higher... and maybe Watson. And maybe fournette
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 04:50 PM)corpjet Wrote: I think the fact of us using him at DE instead of an every down LBer will help his past issues.........we finally have that monster opposite Carlos Dunlap we have been looking for!!!

I was going to make a thread about this but this might be a better place.

Can lawson play outside linebacker? And if he can -- even just being an 'ok' pass d in the flats -- could the Bengals move Burfict to middle and run a hybrid 3/4??? Do we have enough personnel to do this?
Reply/Quote

MJ is playing better this year, but both of his sacks on sunday were coverage sacks , one was 3.5 n the other was 5 seconds into the play.  just being om the field with Dunlap,  Geno n Lawson will get you sacks by accident.  
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 06:56 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: MJ is playing better this year, but both of his sacks on sunday were coverage sacks , one was 3.5 n the other was 5 seconds into the play.  just being om the field with Dunlap,  Geno n Lawson will get you sacks by accident.  

Yeah, but you still got to make the plays. We have had many people who couldnt. 
Reply/Quote
I never thought MJ was done. We have several players who frankly just play better when everyone else on the dline can do like one thing better. Geno does better when we have 2 DEs doing better and our DEs do better when DTs do just a bit better and so on. Having just one guy not cutting it drags everyone else down just a notch and I think MJ was victimized in the past by players like Hunt and a few others not quite getting their jobs done and I think Paulie understood that which is why MJ is still playing at a high level and having the season he's having now. To top it off having great LBers makes their jobs easier as well as the secondary players too..
Defenses and offenses alike always play better when everyone else is getting the job done individually. 
Our running backs would be just that much better with better offensive line play and visa versa. Imagine our '3 headed monster' if we had a 5 headed monster blocking correctly for them and it works the other way around as well. Same goes for QBs and receivers, Oline protection for receiving and on and on. It's always 22 players on the field at any given time. 
One phrase I've always loved and it applies well in football as well,  great pitching stops great hitting and great hitting stops great pitching.  
Having CL in there is like having Joey Votto up to bat in the bottom of the 9th with bases loaded. He might strike out, but he might hit a grand slam too.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 09:07 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Carl Lawson is a freaking monster!! Im glad that he was good enough that even Marvin couldnt keep him out of the rotation because he is a rookie.  

It is nice finally seeing one of these "hidden gems" actually looking like he is going to be a superstar.  I love that he is here but its a shame that no one will get to see him. If he played for the Giants, Cowboys or Jets he would be on the front page of every sports website right now.

Thank goodness he was injured in college a couple times, otherwise he's a late first rounder.

Hell, I had him going to the Steelers in my mocks.  Everytime they picked I got real nervous.
Reply/Quote