Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Lawson
Man was it good to see Lawson looking 100 percent healthy and wreaking havoc. They have said he's been basically unblockable in practice, and last night he absolutely abused a good LT in Solder. He's a difference maker on the defense.
Reply/Quote
Yes it was

I believe our D will show a lot of improvement this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He looked so pumped to be back out there.
Reply/Quote
We have 7% chance of making playoffs. We need to improve on all fronts. With Geno getting old, we have to start getting pressure elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
He’s a bad, bad man.

Reply/Quote
There was an article back few months ago and I'm not looking it up now. But Lawson was among the better pass rushers in the league with pressures, knock downs, and sacks per snap average. The article went on to question why MJ had all his snaps with like 1/4 the production of Lawson.

I'm anxious to see what he can do with a full healthy season. And hopefully this staff has the sense to use him.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:07 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There was an article back few months ago and I'm not looking it up now. But Lawson was among the better pass rushers in the league with pressures, knock downs, and sacks per snap average. The article went on to question why MJ had all his snaps with like 1/4 the production of Lawson.

I'm anxious to see what he can do with a full healthy season. And hopefully this staff has the sense to use him.

I agree that Lawson is a better attacking end than MJ.

But it's only fair to point out that Lawson was used more in passing situation early on, to utilize his skills. MJ was used in run sets, to set the edge.

The consensus on this board was that when Lawson can bulk up and play the run, then he would be a 3 down end.

I hope that he is used judiciously now. I'm concerned that he will blow out the other knee, if too much is put on him.
Reply/Quote
Lawson, Dunlap, Hubbard, and Geno should ALL be on the field on obvious passing downs. You want to double Geno then someone else will make you pay.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 10:31 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: We have 7% chance of making playoffs. We need to improve on all fronts. With Geno getting old, we have to start getting pressure elsewhere.

Could you provide where you got the 7% number? Is this a Vegas line? If so, you do know a betting line is designed to get people to bet and thus those who bet yes they make it get much better odds. Vegas makes money off of the juice, not if they are correct.
Bengals odds are like every other team as a new year 37.50%, 12 of 32 teams make it. Those odds go up and down each week based on wins and losses.

What were Bengals odds in 2011 as many have them being 32nd best Worst) team in the NFL?

As for Lawson, the guy looks like a beast. I am interested to see if he is our starting RDE or is still used in pass rush situations mostly.

I hope he wins the fulltime job and can be good against the run as well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The whole DL seems to be improved this year. If Anarumo can get this defense to create pressure, it will help the DBs and LBs in coverage.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:57 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Could you provide where you got the 7% number? Is this a Vegas line? If so, you do know a betting line is designed to get people to bet and thus those who bet yes they make it get much better odds. Vegas makes money off of the juice, not if they are correct.
Bengals odds are like every other team as a new year 37.50%, 12 of 32 teams make it. Those odds go up and down each week based on wins and losses.

What were Bengals odds in 2011 as many have them being 32nd best Worst) team in the NFL?

As for Lawson, the guy looks like a beast. I am interested to see if he is our starting RDE or is still used in pass rush situations mostly.

I believe that 7% comes from ESPN's "football power index".
Reply/Quote
Let's not forget that Lawson had 1 sack in 7 games last year. He seemed to be around the QB a lot, but didn't finish.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:57 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Could you provide where you got the 7% number? Is this a Vegas line? If so, you do know a betting line is designed to get people to bet and thus those who bet yes they make it get much better odds. Vegas makes money off of the juice, not if they are correct.

So I was just in Vegas.  Flew home yesterday matter of fact.  The Bengals are projected to be the 2nd worst AFC team...only behind the Dolphins.... per the sports boards.  Arizona looks bad in the NFC.  I'd say we are 3rd worst team in the NFL starting out.  We are a 9 1/2 point underdog to Seattle on week 1, the biggest underdog on the board that I noticed.  Cleveland is a big favorite in our division...better than 1 to 1...they were listed at 10/11 odds.  Yea.  Vegas could care less who wins.  The board merely is where the early money is going.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:22 PM)Goalpost Wrote: So I was just in Vegas.  Flew home yesterday matter of fact.  The Bengals are projected to be the 2nd worst AFC team...only behind the Dolphins.... per the sports boards.  Arizona looks bad in the NFC.  I'd say we are 3rd worst team in the NFL starting out.  We are a 9 1/2 point underdog to Seattle on week 1, the biggest underdog on the board that I noticed.  Cleveland is a big favorite in our division...better than 1 to 1...they were listed at 10/11 odds.  Yea.  Vegas could care less who wins.  The board merely is where the early money is going.

On paper, I'd take Cleveland's roster over ours...BUT, they have a bad culture that they need to overcome.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:21 AM)XsandOs Wrote: I agree that Lawson is a better attacking end than MJ.

But it's only fair to point out that Lawson was used more in passing situation early on, to utilize his skills. MJ was used in run sets, to set the edge.

The consensus on this board was that when Lawson can bulk up and play the run, then he would be a 3 down end.

I hope that he is used judiciously now. I'm concerned that he will blow out the other knee, if too much is put on him.

Yes, cannot have Lawson out there all the time. Great pass rusher but he needs to be fresh and kept healthy so he can pin his ears back and abuse the Tackles and then the QB. We all know if he is used correctly he could be one of if not the best pass rusher in the league but he is not a great run stopper yet or good in coverage if he is asked to drop back. Keep this guy healthy, he is one hell of a weapon used right.
Reply/Quote

Just ignore Reuben...
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:07 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There was an article back few months ago and I'm not looking it up now. But Lawson was among the better pass rushers in the league with pressures, knock downs, and sacks per snap average. The article went on to question why MJ had all his snaps with like 1/4 the production of Lawson.

kinda doubled edge... When MJ was used more in a reserve roll I believe he had double digit or close sacks that year....   

In 2012, Johnson accumulated 52 tackles, 35 solo, and 11.5 sacks. He also had one interception and one force fumble.

after that he moved into more of full time roll on the dLine

so keeping Lawson fresh for those downs as probly key to his production
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Let's not forget that Lawson had 1 sack in 7 games last year. He seemed to be around the QB a lot, but didn't finish.

Sophomore slump. Hopefully he has a big year 3 like Boyd did.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Let's not forget that Lawson had 1 sack in 7 games last year. He seemed to be around the QB a lot, but didn't finish.

Correct, even though he was nto getting sacks he was getting pressure.  And pressure makes passing numbers go down even if there are no sacks.

According to NextGen Stats Lawson was the #3 edge rusher in the league in percentage of pass rush defeats (getting past blocker in 2.5 seconds or less).
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Let's not forget that Lawson had 1 sack in 7 games last year. He seemed to be around the QB a lot, but didn't finish.

He also had the highest win rate amongst pass rushers before he got hurt. Also the guy might not have gotten as many sacks but the team did when he played. In games where he played more than 40% of the snaps the Bengals averaged 3 sacks per a contest in other games when he played 30% or less the Bengals averaged 1.8 sacks per a game.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote