Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Lawson: "I can be ridiculously good"
(07-30-2018, 09:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, with Willis and Lawson both getting reps at RDE, all we really need is for Billings to emerge as the NT that we all thought he is going to be.  Combine those new generation guys with Carlos and Geno?  That is a formidable front four to contend with, for sure.

This thought really begs a question.  If Carl Lawson and Jordan Willis both have a good camp and preseason, is there still room for Michael Johnson on this roster?

(07-30-2018, 11:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup,

I have nothing against MJ he's been a good Bengal but to be honest he has slipped quite a bit these last couple seasons. I don't wanna see them keep him and sacrifice a good up and comer.

Depends.  I say this because I thought MJ looked really good at DT last year.  Unless one of the younger guys really turns it on going into the season, I'd keep him as a rotational guy on the inside.  Like you guys, I do agree that his best days at DE are behind him.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 08:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We have needed a pass rusher like Lawson for many years. I didn't like how we passed on these shorter guys
cuz we liked length. In the end getting to the QB is what matters and getting the dang job done. I think Von Miller
opened a lot of people's eyes. Then comes Khalil Mack and such.

I think Lawson could be right there with those guys.

Have to give Paulie G some cred for the Law pick i think.

I agree we looked for a certain size it appeared but I can't see many guys that were shorter that were available when we drafted that have gone on to be stud pass rushers. Both Miller and Mack were not available to us with our draft position.

My point is it is hard to find a 4-3 DE who can both stop the run and be a great pass rusher, those types are few and far between and normally top 10 draft picks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2018, 01:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree we looked for a certain size it appeared but I can't see many guys that were shorter that were available when we drafted that have gone on to be stud pass rushers. Both Miller and Mack were not available to us with our draft position.

My point is it is hard to find a 4-3 DE who can both stop the run and be a great pass rusher, those types are few and far between and normally top 10 draft picks.

That is all true.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 08:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I wouldn't put MJ out to pasture just yet, Austin said he is looking for people who can stop the run. MJ is still pretty good at that. He's going to be a hard cut.

MJ's  role changed last year. He wasn't really effective at DE, but he was better when we made him a nickel DT. It'll be interesting to see how Austin wants to use him. We've heard the hype with Lawson and Willis this year. The beat guys have noticed that Hubbard has been getting a lot of snaps, so I can see MJ getting less snaps, but I don't see him getting cut.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 08:37 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I'm sure he's salivating at the thought of grabbing him in free-agency to pair with Mack. 

If the Bengals let Lawson hit free agency they are fools.  I'm sure he'll get a nice extension after this season if he performs to expectations. 
Reply/Quote
I cant remember a DE getting so many would-be sacks in training camp ever. This guy beats everyone he is put in front of. After leading all rookies in sacks and now this, its obviously no fluke. Lawson could change the face of our defense by adding a dominant pass rush combined with what Atkins and Dunlap can bring. More sacks and QB pressures can do soooo much in a game to change momentum. Who are they going to double-team ... Atkins? Dunlap? Lawson? Someone is coming. Little Pig Pen Ben better take note. We're coming after you this year dude.....get ready for it.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:57 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: MJ's  role changed last year. He wasn't really effective at DE, but he was better when we made him a nickel DT. It'll be interesting to see how Austin wants to use him. We've heard the hype with Lawson and Willis this year. The beat guys have noticed that Hubbard has been getting a lot of snaps, so I can see MJ getting less snaps, but I don't see him getting cut.

The only cut should be a pay cut of MJ.

He is just eating up too much salary for what he brings to the table.

(08-02-2018, 07:46 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: If the Bengals let Lawson hit free agency they are fools.  I'm sure he'll get a nice extension after this season if he performs to expectations. 

You know it Jason, pay the man, don't even flirt with the notion of letting him test FA.

(08-02-2018, 08:48 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I cant remember a DE getting so many would-be sacks in training camp ever. This guy beats everyone he is put in front of. After leading all rookies in sacks and now this, its obviously no fluke. Lawson could change the face of our defense by adding a dominant pass rush combined with what Atkins and Dunlap can bring. More sacks and QB pressures can do soooo much in a game to change momentum. Who are they going to double-team ... Atkins? Dunlap? Lawson? Someone is coming. Little Pig Pen Ben better take note. We're coming after you this year dude.....get ready for it.

Get the Pig, get the Pig, get the Pig...
Reply/Quote