Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Lawson and ESPN Breakout Player
I don't get ESPN insider, but it appears they have named him the top or one of the top breakout players in 2018. Can someone with insider get us the article?
Who thinks or DE rotation of Dunlap, Willis and Lawson will be top 5 in sacks in 2018?

Great news and I am no fan of ESPN, but I think they got this one correct.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Not going to argue against it for sure.

He is a bad man and hope to see him tattoo Ben multiple times.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 02:44 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Not going to argue against it for sure.

Yep. Bury him.

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 02:44 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Not going to argue against it for sure.

I am stoked for our pass rush in 2018 with Geno, Dunlap, Lawson and it appears Austin will also send creative blitz packages more often. I would love to see Ben running for his life.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 09:40 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am stoked for our pass rush in 2018 with Geno, Dunlap, Lawson and it appears Austin will also send creative blitz packages more often. I would love to see Ben running for his life.

Not to mention tackles for a loss on Bell!  Our DLine is going to be vicious!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I suspect our D is going to get us in the playoffs despite all the hoopla with our O.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 10:39 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I suspect our D is going to get us in the playoffs despite all the hoopla with our O.

I agree

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 10:39 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I suspect our D is going to get us in the playoffs despite all the hoopla with our O.

The big question is obviously the LB’s. Hopefully Burfict will play every game after his suspension is up and we get some good play from some of the other guys like Brown and Evans.

If Ross and Eifert can be big factors on offense all season (big if) this could honestly be one of the most balanced teams we’ve had during the Marvin era. Lots of talent on both sides of the ball.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 11:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Who thinks or DE rotation of Dunlap, Willis and Lawson will be top 5 in sacks in 2018?

Lawson and Dunlap are legit pass rush threats, but we need more.

Either Willis (only 1 sack in 360 snaps lat year) or Hubbard needs to step up and contribute.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Lawson and Dunlap are legit pass rush threats, but we need more.

Either Willis (only 1 sack in 360 snaps lat year) or Hubbard needs to step up and contribute.

Preferably, BOTH.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 11:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't get ESPN insider, but it appears they have named him the top or one of the top breakout players in 2018. Can someone with insider get us the article?
Who thinks or DE rotation of Dunlap, Willis and Lawson will be top 5 in sacks in 2018?

Great news and I am no fan of ESPN, but I think they got this one correct.

They did get something correct for once. He be badass.

Cannot teach what he can do, it is the rarest of rare. His shoulders graze the grass when he is making his swim moves.

Never seen this with another End ever...
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Lawson and Dunlap are legit pass rush threats, but we need more.

I agree, we need backups to produce as Lawson did a year ago.

But we also have this guy named Geno who may benefit from 2 studs rushing from the outside who won't be able to double teamed.

Offenses will have to choose their poison wisely to stop Geno, Dunlap, Lawson and a possible blitzer or 2.

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 03:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree, we need backups to produce as Lawson did a year ago.

But we also have this guy named Geno who may benefit from 2 studs rushing from the outside who won't be able to double teamed.

Offenses will have to choose their poison wisely to stop Geno, Dunlap, Lawson and a possible blitzer or 2.

Not to mention if Billings, Glasgow or Baker can compliment Geno and the boys.

I think this will open up everything.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 03:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not to mention if Billings, Glasgow or Baker can compliment Geno and the boys.

I think this will open up everything.

No doubt, it will be interesting to see the entire DL develop in 2018, I think they will be special.

Reply/Quote
Willis came in at 8 and Billings at 16.
Reply/Quote

I think the talent at the back end of our defense will allow Austin to send a safety on a blitz from time to time, and I could see some of our safeties being very helpful in this manner.  My biggest question is still the LB corps.  Burfict being gone 4 games, probably not in shape upon return, etc.  I really hope Jordan Evans takes the WILL and Nickel backer role and never looks back.  

With respect to which unit will be responsible (or not) for the Bengals making the playoffs, I still have to put the burden on the offense.  They simply can't average 20 points a game and expect to make the playoffs...no matter how well the defense plays.  

Playing from a lead would also be helpful in making the opponent more one dimensional and forcing them in to a pass-heavy offense.  I remember the Manning-led Colts would get a lead and their defense would just release the hounds (Freeney and...was it Thomas?) and nail opposing QBs.  

With respect to the offense, look at some of the changes vs. opening day a year ago:

Lazor vs. Zampese
Mixon vs. Hill
Eifert vs. Kroft (who stepped up, but it took a little time)
Glenn vs. Ogbuehi
Price vs. Bodine
Ross vs. Lafell
Boyd vs. Boyd (well, this year's finally looks like the guy we drafted)

And that is just on offense.  I can see an improvement of 7 points a game and get this unit back to where they belong.  

Reply/Quote
If ESPN says it it has to be true. They're not allowed to just make stuff up.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 09:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:   Burfict being gone 4 games, probably not in shape upon return, etc.  

Several people have mentioned this, and I just don't know where it's coming from. Every time Burfict starts the season on Suspension (that's sad to even type) he has come in and played more snaps than he is supposed to, and Marvin has to drag him off the field for rests. Burfict will be fine. Now will he stay unsuspended with the new helmet rules, who knows, but as far as being ready to play, I have no worries about that.

On edit: I just saw on the main page, Haslett said Burfict is 2 lbs from his playing weight. So, if he takes a big dump, he will be right at playing weight. Just needs to get his wind built up....
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 09:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think the talent at the back end of our defense will allow Austin to send a safety on a blitz from time to time, and I could see some of our safeties being very helpful in this manner.  My biggest question is still the LB corps.  Burfict being gone 4 games, probably not in shape upon return, etc.  I really hope Jordan Evans takes the WILL and Nickel backer role and never looks back.  

With respect to which unit will be responsible (or not) for the Bengals making the playoffs, I still have to put the burden on the offense.  They simply can't average 20 points a game and expect to make the playoffs...no matter how well the defense plays.  

Playing from a lead would also be helpful in making the opponent more one dimensional and forcing them in to a pass-heavy offense.  I remember the Manning-led Colts would get a lead and their defense would just release the hounds (Freeney and...was it Thomas?) and nail opposing QBs.  

With respect to the offense, look at some of the changes vs. opening day a year ago:

Lazor vs. Zampese
Mixon vs. Hill
Eifert vs. Kroft (who stepped up, but it took a little time)
Glenn vs. Ogbuehi
Price vs. Bodine
Ross vs. Lafell
Boyd vs. Boyd (well, this year's finally looks like the guy we drafted)

And that is just on offense.  I can see an improvement of 7 points a game and get this unit back to where they belong.  

Robert Mathis, very underrated End...
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 10:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Several people have mentioned this, and I just don't know where it's coming from. Every time Burfict starts the season on Suspension (that's sad to even type) he has come in and played more snaps than he is supposed to, and Marvin has to drag him off the field for rests. Burfict will be fine. Now will he stay unsuspended with the new helmet rules, who knows, but as far as being ready to play, I have no worries about that.

On edit: I just saw on the main page, Haslett said Burfict is 2 lbs from his playing weight. So, if he takes a big dump, he will be right at playing weight. Just needs to get his wind built up....

Aim at pittsburgh
Reply/Quote