Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carl Lawson and Pass Rush Win Rate
(05-09-2020, 01:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.  When Ross drops a pass we get zero benefit.  When Lawson pressures a QB without sacking him the pressure still effects the QBs efficiency.  Everyone here has seen the numbers for QBs "under pressure".  Even the best see their numbers drop.

So getting pressure that does not result in a sack still has a benefit to the defense.

Of course it is better to finish with a sack, but you can't compare it to a dropped pass which has zero benefit.  A better comparison would be a receiver who took a pass 30 yards but couldn't take it all the way for a TD.  The TD would be better, but there is still a benefit to a 30 yard completion.

I would argue that having a receiver that can blow the top off the defense requires them to ‘respect the speed’. Similar to how Lawsons pass rush ability forces offenses to “respect the rush”.

Teams have to adjust their protection schemes to Lawson, and in theory, teams should have to move a safety over to protect themselves from Ross’s speed. This adjustment has an impact that benefits the offense.

So, it may not have a direct impact, but If you can’t complete the route and make the catch, TO ME, that is the same as not finishing the sack.

I guess I see pressures as more of a subjective stat anyways. There are so many factors that come into play. Lawson could ‘pressure’ the QB on a screen... is that a good thing? I’m not sure. I wish I knew more about the process of determining pressure that players are forcing... again, it seems so subjective. Is it pressure if he gets within 2 feet of the QB? Is it pressure based on how quickly the QB had to throw the ball? If you have that detail please provide it as I’m curious. Lol just reread the OP and see it’s in there. I’ll go back and educate myself.

Sacks are sacks. FFs are valuable. Pressure is valuable but I just don’t quite trust that the stats reflect the actual impact.
Reply/Quote