Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Lawson in college
Top 5-star recruit started as a true freshman. Recorded 4 sacks and 7.5 TFL
Missed entire sophomore season with torn ACL.
Junior season cut short by hip injury. He was able to play 7 games but only recorded one sack and 3 TFL.

I have spent a lot of time in other threads defending the value of what Lawson did for us last year. But the fact is his injury history is terrifying. He has only had 3 healthy seasons over the last 7 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Top 5-star recruit started as a true freshman.  Recorded 4 sacks and 7.5 TFL
Junior season cut short by hip injury.  He was able to play 7 games but only recorded one sack and 3 TFL.

I have spent a lot of time in other threads defending the value of what Lawson did for us last year.  But the fact is his injury history is terrifying.  He has only had 3 healthy seasons over the last 7 years.

His injury history and lack of run stopping in college is why he fell to 4th round. I remember him being projected as a Rd 2-3 guy leading up to the draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yikes. We need pass rushers though—and he’s our best. Definitely a tough call as a big deal could yet again backfire on us. Wonder how other teams will price him.
Reply/Quote
I feel like we've been waiting for him to have his big breakout year every year. I like Lawson though, and if we sign him I hope he finally actually has his breakout season and gets 10+ sacks.
Reply/Quote
I'm just going to throw this in here. Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem like the Bengals have even began any negotiations with him. These are the games that have hurt them before with re-signing out star players.

https://theathletic.com/2443287/2021/03/11/carl-lawson-talks-free-agency-avoiding-the-franchise-tag-bengals-chances-to-retain-him/

Quote:“Of course the Bengals are the frontrunner, we just haven’t gotten to any of the negotiations and stuff yet,” Lawson said, via Paul Dehner of TheAthletic.com. “I just know talking with the Bengals I think they would do right by me. And we’ll get that situation talked about first, but there is a lot of interest out there that’s what I’m hearing. So it will be interesting to see what happens the next couple weeks . . . Of course, I’m comfortable where I’m at. But it doesn’t make sense to not listen to what people have to say but if there are better options for me and my family then people will understand that. It’s not like they don’t have a great shot at landing me. Why would you tag me if you know you have a good shot at talking with me?”

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Sounds to me like he would prefer to stay right here. Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 09:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Sounds to me like he would prefer to stay right here. Tiger

It's definitely a good sign he may be back.

On the other hand, it's been eerily silent on the WJIII front. 

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 12:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's definitely a good sign he may be back.

I’m okay with that honestly. The amount of quality corners in this FA is really high and I think we can get a replacement of similar quality fairly inexpensively.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I just don't see WJIII leaving as being any big tragedy with the return of Waynes. Now would I like to keep WJIII, sure, but I won't be upset if he leaves and we replace him. He still tends to struggle in zone.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Top 5-star recruit started as a true freshman.  Recorded 4 sacks and 7.5 TFL
Junior season cut short by hip injury.  He was able to play 7 games but only recorded one sack and 3 TFL.

I have spent a lot of time in other threads defending the value of what Lawson did for us last year.  But the fact is his injury history is terrifying.  He has only had 3 healthy seasons over the last 7 years.

Yep, his injury history is my main concern with extending Lawson or tagging him, it is not his play.

Thinking we should pay a couple D-lineman rather than paying Lawson major dough.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 12:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's definitely a good sign he may be back.

(03-12-2021, 12:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’m okay with that honestly. The amount of quality corners in this FA is really high and I think we can get a replacement of similar quality fairly inexpensively.

Same here, there will be lots of Corners to choose from once cuts happen.

Plus it is a deep Draft with Corners.

(03-12-2021, 02:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, I just don't see WJIII leaving as being any big tragedy with the return of Waynes. Now would I like to keep WJIII, sure, but I won't be upset if he leaves and we replace him.  He still tends to struggle in zone.

The one guy I would be furious leaving is Alexander. Love this guy's attitude and the way he plays.
Reply/Quote
So you agree with me now that $15 million should be a no go? Heck, his production alone (forget the injury history) makes him not worth the price, IMO. Throw in the injuries, and it becomes obvious.

We should let him walk if the price gets outrageous.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 03:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same here, there will be lots of Corners to choose from once cuts happen.

Plus it is a deep Draft with Corners.

The one guy I would be furious leaving is Alexander. Love this guy's attitude and the way he plays.

Agree 100%, he's like Pacman without the trouble. Plays his heart out.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 12:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’m okay with that honestly. The amount of quality corners in this FA is really high and I think we can get a replacement of similar quality fairly inexpensively.

Draft rodarius Williams and sign Richard Sherman. Our secondary would be Wayne’s sherman Alexander and Williams with von bell and Jessie bates. That’s a top tier secondary. For cheap
Reply/Quote
Bengals love guys with injury histories. Must have a major deal making Cincinnati orthopedic doctors more business.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if Phillips will get he contract WJIII turns down. Or Alexander. Neither should probably break 10m but there should be some funds available to re-sign them once/if WJIII leaves (sorry to hijack thread Fred).

Reply/Quote