Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carl Lawson posts cryptic tweet

Let the guessing games begin
Reply/Quote
He has been tagged most likely or it's nothing.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 10:11 PM)Trademark Wrote:

I have this nervous feeling that he's going somewhere else in the AFCN..... specifically Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
Probably tagged, which will be a huge mistake, but it'll help make the math less absurd when Hobspin puts out his yearly "they have $10-15m in cap space heading into FA" article.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 10:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Probably tagged, which will be a huge mistake, but it'll help make the math less absurd when Hobspin puts out his yearly "they have $10-15m in cap space heading into FA" article.

I dont have a problem with him being tagged...the biggest mistake is that they didnt extend him last off-season and they let it get to this point. Typical. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Have the Bengals ever worked out an extension with a player they tagged?

I'm sure it has happened, but I'm just not remembering when.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 12:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I dont have a problem with him being tagged...the biggest mistake is that they didnt extend him last off-season and they let it get to this point. Typical. 

What had he done to get an extension before 2020?
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 10:11 PM)Trademark Wrote:

Specifically the transition tag. Flattered that the team would want the ability to match any deal, insulted that his agent will have to do the work to get said deal.  The franchise tag isn't flattery if he can't negotiate a long term deal around the league. 
Reply/Quote
Tag & trade to the Raiders for a __ round pick and an exchange of a __ round pick for a __ round pick.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 01:06 AM)sandwedge Wrote: What had he done to get an extension before 2020?

Pretty much what I was thinking. Injuries have plagued him.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 01:27 AM)phil413 Wrote: Specifically the transition tag. Flattered that the team would want the ability to match any deal, insulted that his agent will have to do the work to get said deal.  The franchise tag isn't flattery if he can't negotiate a long term deal around the league. 

Depends on how you look at it. Being called a "franchise" player and getting that tag is both flattery (because it means the team needs you) and insulting (that they didn't do a longer deal. ) My guess is Lawson got franchise tagged, and WWIII will get the longer contract this year. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 10:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Probably tagged, which will be a huge mistake, but it'll help make the math less absurd when Hobspin puts out his yearly "they have $10-15m in cap space heading into FA" article.

well you can tag and sign long term to drop the tag the same season so...  they could tag before the deadline to give them more options and always resend it later if needed or get him signed long term to avoid tag prices

plus it gives them a year to see if the cap goes back up if they need to wait before giving him a ton of money.

Down side is we rarely retain those who are tagged.
Reply/Quote
I'd be good with a tag for Lawson. On the open market, he is going to command something between 15-16 a year, no matter how much people here refuse to believe it. Paying a slight premium to ensure he can stay healthy two years in a row is worth it rather than committing to a long-term deal where he is constantly hurt. The other piece here is not necessarily saddling a potential new head coach next year, if that ends up happening, with a potentially bad contract.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 10:29 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I have this nervous feeling that he's going somewhere else in the AFCN..... specifically Cleveland.

Not saying that he is not going to leave but what in this tweet would indicate that he was going somewhere?  The main thing is other teams cannot contact him as FA is not open.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 12:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I dont have a problem with him being tagged...the biggest mistake is that they didnt extend him last off-season and they let it get to this point. Typical. 

Fans would have ripped the team by extending him last season with his history of injuries.
Reply/Quote
Why do so many professional athletes have to act like teenage girls on social media.

Why even post this cryptic coy BS?
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:58 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'd be good with a tag for Lawson. On the open market, he is going to command something between 15-16 a year, no matter how much people here refuse to believe it. Paying a slight premium to ensure he can stay healthy two years in a row is worth it rather than committing to a long-term deal where he is constantly hurt. The other piece here is not necessarily saddling a potential new head coach next year, if that ends up happening, with a potentially bad contract.

This is about where I’m at with it.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why do so many professional athletes have to act like teenage girls on social media.

Why even post this cryptic coy BS?

This post doesn't say, but this looks like it was probably a response to Watt saying free agency was wild.
Reply/Quote
I am indifferent towards Lawson. Sorry, I just am. I would rather the Bengals get the offense to an elite level before investing in the defense, so a half measure spent on the defensive side of the ball (meaning: 1 big money guy) isn'tgoing to get the D over the humo. The offense is much closer to elite than the defense. Finish that and then put defensive pieces in place next year. Hell, a great offense makes thw defense job so much easier, anyway. Would like to see what the talent that is already on the roster can do behind an offense that scores and sustains drives.

All things considered, if they HAD to spend on the defense this season, IMO, the money would be better spent on WJ3.
Reply/Quote
It's always a disaster trying to interpret something so cryptic because you're most often wrong, but it does give impression Lawson could be tagged. I don't fully blame the Bengals if they do tag him, as they probably want to see if his 2020 was an anomaly or not. With that said, if he does really well in 2021 too, his stock will go up further, costing even more money. It's more risky, but it could save them money in the long run if they give him a multi-year deal now vs waiting another year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote