Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And so it Begins: Zeitler to Ravens
(03-15-2021, 02:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: Reader had no choice with the injuries. But I said NT's (not naming Reader specifically) as in in general.

What happens "in general" has nothing to do with the value of Reader to the Bengals.

You are the one swinging and missing.
Reply/Quote
No way Reader was a luxury signing. He was a clear upgrade over Billings or anyone the Bengals could trot out.
And yes, he played too many snaps last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Last years signings were NOT luxury. Remember the common thread in them was bringing in players who were sound tacklers to help a defense that was historically bad at tackling. Reader was to stop the interior DL problems and all the others played the run well and tackled well. The blizzard of injuries erased the benefits but the intent was still there.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 02:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What happens "in general" has nothing to do with the value of Reader to the Bengals.

You are the one swinging and missing.

Actually it does unless you believe in the Bengals value to play a run stuffing NT 79% of defensive snaps in the passing league where defenses should be in nickel that much is ideal. 

Truth is they know it isn't ideal. Unless they are forced to by injuries etc as they were. And of course it isn't ideal as we saw how ineffective it made Reader.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 04:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: Actually it does unless you believe in the Bengals value to play a run stuffing NT 79% of defensive snaps in the passing league where defenses should be in nickel that much is ideal. 

Truth is they don't. Unless they are forced to by injuries etc as they were. And of course it isn't ideal as we saw how ineffective it made Reader.

can reader not play passing downs?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 03:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: Last years signings were NOT luxury. Remember the common thread in them was bringing in players who were sound tacklers to help a defense that was historically bad at tackling. Reader was to stop the interior DL problems and all the others played the run well and tackled well. The blizzard of injuries erased the benefits but the intent was still there.

I can't get down with the revisionist history that NT, CB, S were top Free agent needs we were calling for. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 04:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: can reader not play passing downs?

Not sure we want him to as a run stuffing NT. He was forced to this past season and was fairly ineffective in his first year as a Bengal. It hurt his all around play.

He came out on 3rd down with the Texans. 

Reply/Quote
Damn, I wanted Zeit back, sucks he went to the Ravens but he doesn't help their run game, that is the good part.

Reiff and Gabe Jackson sure would be nice.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So with no Dennard or Kirkpatrick who were our three starting CBs?

With Green gone who was going to be our starting WRs?

Not to mention Jesse Bates looked like a one year wonder after the 2019 season, and Shawn Williams is meh on a good day. Safety was a need.... And all of the guys signed are good tacklers... Let's remember the 2019 defense couldn't tackle for shit.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 04:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: I can't get down with the revisionist history that NT, CB, S were top Free agent needs we were calling for. 

Especially after how awesome our defense was in 2019 under Poo Anarumo... Oh yeah, they were hot garbage in 2018 too. When you get a coach fired in Cincinnati, you're a special kind of suck. I think you're being the revisionist here.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I just don't remember the calls for a NT, CB, S free agent signing last offseason.

and remember the players we got at the actual positions I do remember fans calling for free agent signings for (Oline,LB).

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 08:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: I just don't remember the calls for a NT, CB, S free agent signing last offseason.

and remember the players we got at the actual positions I do remember fans calling for free agent signings for (Oline,LB).

From a fan not on these boards lately as much as the rest, I'll give you my perspective and not the "hoards" against you. Sorry buddy, but they are correct on this argument IMO, and it's not even close. The Bengals FO CLEARLY needed to improve their tackling and Run Defense after being spun around on swivel chairs game in and out against Jackson and Pitts/Cleve run games the last few years. 
EVERY signing they made were defensive signings who were highly ranked (Top 10 at their Positions according to PFF) at TACKLING. 

They let go of Vigil and sign Bynes. That's a Tackling Upgrade from historical PFF on players. 
They let go of Dre and sign Waynes. That's a Tackling Upgrade from a historical PFF on players. 
They demote Williams and sign Bell. That's a Tackling Upgrade from a historical PFF on players. 
They didn't even have a NT b/c of opt outs so they sign a Top 3 NT, Top 5 FA overall player according to PFF FA Rankings. There's not even a debate on this one. You calling Reader a "Luxary" FA pick up is just the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. They brought him in to play next to Geno, so that they could be a tandem like Reader and Watt were. It's not difficult to figure that one out. 
I will give you a wash with Dennard and Alexander, and that's about it. 

Everyone knows that every signing they made was CLEARLY to try to tackle better on Defense in every tier. It's not that hard to figure out JJ22. These debates back and forth about historical crap and this and that are pointless. 

And, I didn't expect them to pay a Guard 16M a year either for a player like Thuney, as that would blow most of their available cap. The team needs several better players to fill out the roster, and this makes it very tough adding only 1 player. You can bring in a few other guys at half the price on Day 2 or 3 and then get help at other needs/positions that will upgrade the team with what they currently have. 
Reply/Quote
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-DJ-Reader-a-Bengal?highlight=free+agency

Reply/Quote