Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carl Lawson posts cryptic tweet
(02-19-2021, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why do so many professional athletes have to act like teenage girls on social media.

Why even post this cryptic coy BS?

like teenage girls (and basically anyone that post frequently on Social media) they are hungry for attention
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 12:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's always a disaster trying to interpret something so cryptic because you're most often wrong, but it does give impression Lawson could be tagged. I don't fully blame the Bengals if they do tag him, as they probably want to see if his 2020 was an anomaly or not. With that said, if he does really well in 2021 too, his stock will go up further, costing even more money. It's more risky, but it could save them money in the long run if they give him a multi-year deal now vs waiting another year.

It is, but it is also risky to give him a multi-year deal hoping his injury plague is behind him. I mean, he's really only had one good year. If it were me, I'd tag him, then if he gets through next season healthy and productive, you either resign him to a longer contract or draft a DE to replace him in the 1st rd. 
Reply/Quote
All teams use the tools given them by their collective bargaining agreement. It is common to franchise tag players. It is also common to get to the point where a contract extension did not happen earlier. Steelers have JuJu Smith as a free agent right now, good chance they lose him. They have Dupree also and that is just the Steelers.

To criticize the Bengals for tagging players means you think all teams are wrong tagging players.

He is a talent, if we don't tag him, we likely lose him. Why not use him in 2021 to help build the defense around? Is ay tag/try and sign him long term by cutting Geno and Gio who are way overpaid for production.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It only means some big, fat ugly gay dude was hitting on him.. Grow up people.. Get your minds out of the gutter. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It ends with a laughing emoji, and the tweet 1 hour before hand was pretty goofy. Might have been related to it, and nothing to do with the Bengals or NFL in general.

But, just like all the posts before this one, that is only a guess...
Reply/Quote
This is why I'm great with Mixon deleting his twitter or whatever it was.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 10:18 PM)J24 Wrote: He has been tagged most likely or it's nothing.

I am okay with him being tagged myself. Not my money and he has had problems staying healthy but we need him here next 
season as he is our best pass rusher by far. Would be much smarter tagging Lawson than us tagging AJ last year.
Reply/Quote
I really hope they can extend Lawson. He'd be my top priority.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 02:51 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I really hope they can extend Lawson.  He'd be my top priority.

No doubt this would be ideal. Adding to the O-line and the D-line need to be our top priorities.

We already know Lawson is our best pass rusher, bring him back no matter how you have to do it.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 12:38 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Have the Bengals ever worked out an extension with a player they tagged?

I'm sure it has happened, but I'm just not remembering when.

They tagged Mike Nugent one year, he stuck around another few years after that. I don't think he signed an extension while tagged though. So...Nugent with an asterisk?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 02:51 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I really hope they can extend Lawson. He'd be my top priority.

I’ve said it since season end. Lawson is the #1 FA coming from the bengals
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 04:47 PM)Ravage Wrote: They tagged Mike Nugent one year, he stuck around another few years after that. I don't think he signed an extension while tagged though. So...Nugent with an asterisk?

They only signed him because he tore his ACL; it was between him and John Brown for kicker in 2013. In hindsight it was a good move because Brown beat his wife and never played in the NFL again.

Rudi Johnson was the last nonkicker to sign a long term deal with the Bengals after he was tagged in 2004.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:58 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'd be good with a tag for Lawson. On the open market, he is going to command something between 15-16 a year, no matter how much people here refuse to believe it. Paying a slight premium to ensure he can stay healthy two years in a row is worth it rather than committing to a long-term deal where he is constantly hurt. The other piece here is not necessarily saddling a potential new head coach next year, if that ends up happening, with a potentially bad contract.

15-16 per would make Lawson a top 4 DE on average salary, according to Spotrac.

Absolutely no way does a team offer that for a guy with 11.5 sacks in the last 3 years and an injury history.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 08:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 15-16 per would make Lawson a top 4 DE on average salary, according to Spotrac.

Absolutely no way does a team offer that for a guy with 11.5 sacks in the last 3 years and an injury history.

Dante Fowler is a good guy to look at. He took the one year “bet on himself” deal and got 11.5 sacks after a disappointing career to tha point and got 3 for $45. Now Lawson doesn’t have that “bet on himself” year but he has a year that the tape shows a guy who collapsed the pocket constantly even when not getting credit for the sack. Add in the available options and the trend of upward pay and I think he’s right there. Now the depressed market because of a downward cap could come into play here, and it may force him to take a similar one year deal, or we tag him, but 15 area is not out of the question hear as odd as it may seem.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 08:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 15-16 per would make Lawson a top 4 DE on average salary, according to Spotrac.

He was top 10 in pressures and sacks created. Dude is going to get paid this off-season by somebody.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 08:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: Dante Fowler is a good guy to look at. He took the one year “bet on himself” deal and got 11.5 sacks after a disappointing career to tha point and got 3 for $45. Now Lawson doesn’t have that “bet on himself” year but he has a year that the tape shows a guy who collapsed the pocket constantly even when not getting credit for the sack. Add in the available options and the trend of upward pay and I think he’s right there. Now the depressed market because of a downward cap could come into play here, and it may force him to take a similar one year deal, or we tag him, but 15 area is not out of the question hear as odd as it may seem.

(02-22-2021, 09:01 PM)J24 Wrote: He was top 10 in pressures and sacks created. Dude is going to get paid this off-season by somebody.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat the crow no problem, but I don't see it guys, sorry. I heard the cap went down this season on top of the injuries and low sack totals. Pressures are good, but he's not going to get top 4 DE money for one season with top 10 ranking in pressures, which followed some injuries. Especially with the cap trending down. Other guys are getting pressures AND sacks (while staying healthy) to get that kind of bag.

I'll also add that it'd be tough selling a fanbase on paying a guy that much based on one season where he "collapsed the pocket a lot". Casual fans are going to look at the sack totals, the injuries, etc and question the signing. That matters when teams are deciding on paying a guy like that.

We'll see though. Feel free to bookmark this and revisit in a month.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 10:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If I'm wrong, I'll eat the crow no problem, but I don't see it guys, sorry. I heard the cap went down this season on top of the injuries and low sack totals. Pressures are good, but he's not going to get top 4 DE money for one season with top 10 ranking in pressures, which followed some injuries. Especially with the cap trending down. Other guys are getting pressures AND sacks (while staying healthy) to get that kind of bag.

I'll also add that it'd be tough selling a fanbase on paying a guy that much based on one season where he "collapsed the pocket a lot". Casual fans are going to look at the sack totals, the injuries, etc and question the signing. That matters when teams are deciding on paying a guy like that.

My casual ass doesn't think Carl Lawson is worth that kind of money. If he's gonna get it, I hope it's from someone else. He's a nice player, and all (I'da loved to have him on those 2012 - 2015 teams), but he's not a top 5 DE, edge, 3-4 OLB... Whatever you wanna label the tweener.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why do so many professional athletes have to act like teenage girls on social media.

Why even post this cryptic coy BS?

Why does anyone post to social media period? Nobody cares. Just like nobody cares that I don't care.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 10:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If I'm wrong, I'll eat the crow no problem, but I don't see it guys, sorry. I heard the cap went down this season on top of the injuries and low sack totals. Pressures are good, but he's not going to get top 4 DE money for one season with top 10 ranking in pressures, which followed some injuries. Especially with the cap trending down.  Other guys are getting pressures AND sacks (while staying healthy) to get that kind of bag.

(02-22-2021, 10:40 PM)jason Wrote: My casual ass doesn't think Carl Lawson is worth that kind of money. If he's gonna get it, I hope it's from someone else. He's a nice player, and all (I'da loved to have him on those 2012 - 2015 teams), but he's not a top 5 DE, edge, 3-4 OLB... Whatever you wanna label the tweener.

I'm not banging the table to ink him, but this past season he had a pass rush productivity (prp) grade of 8.5

That was good enough for 9th in the league for EDs playing 50% of max snaps. Of the top 9, Lawson tied for least amount of sacks with 6 (going strictly by pff #s and they don't count half sacks) while 3 other guys recorded single digit sacks as well. He was 2nd to Watt (27) in QB hits with 24. He was 4th in QB hurries with 34--Shaq Barrett had a ridiculous 60--and he was 3rd in total pressures with 64 (Barrett and Watt had 76 and 73). 

That grade is better than anything Carlos put up while he was here, and each one does pretty much the same thing--disrupts but doesn't get the QB on the ground consistently. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote