Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Pickens
(04-15-2020, 02:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I remember him being super clutch on Game winning drives
Opening game vs the Rams he caught a game winner
I remember Neil O'Donnell sneaking a kill the clocl
Vs the Steelers and throwing a arc to CP
Then I think Akili threw a game winner to him vs
The Browns one year

Smith's first W.  Fade to the right corner of the end zone.  I was watching it with a Brown's fan in a local sports bar here (only way to watch it at the time) and as soon as we got to the goal to go situation, we both knew what the next play was.  He congratulated me prior to the snap and was at the bar paying our tab at the moment of the catch.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Remember the “Pickens Clause” the Bengals added to player’s contracts? Classic.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2020, 03:14 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I thought the same thing, then I did research.  There were better WR.  Starting with Jerry rice.  

Chris Carter also off the top of my head.

No WR had more tds than Pickens from 94-96.

Only 3 WR had more catches and they all played for much better teams than Picken's Bengals.  Rice's Forty-niners made the playoffs all three years and won a Super Bowl.  Both Chris Carter's Vikings and Herman Moore's Lions made the playoffs twice.  Meanwhile the Bengals only went 18-30.

Not saying is is a really strong argument, but there is at least an argument to be made that Pickens was just as good as them, but his stats were stunted by the poor team around him.
Reply/Quote
I was at the game where those shitbag Steelers tried to get into Pickens head chanting "Jungle Fever" at him during the game. It worked too. After the game Pickens was irate in the locker room saying certain Steelers were calling him a racial slur. It was big in the news for awhile but died down, of course I don't remember any Steeler players being held accountable for it and Pickens' claim was collaborated by his teammates that were on the field with him at the time.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 01:05 PM)McC Wrote: I googled it but can't find anything about it but I vividly remember it.  I'm hazy on the exact details but I believe it was on the side of I 71.  Some altercation happened and Pickens popped an old guy, a guy in his 70's.

That wasn't his only violent episode.

https://www.ajc.com/news/nfl-player-faces-battery-charge-gwinnett/6VJmEQNtMjjHTtbCLhEw0H/

Quote:An ex-NFL player allegedly picked up his wife, threw her on the couch, pinned her down and left bruises on the woman’s neck, Gwinnett authorities said.

And when officials tried to arrest Carl Pickens this week, he hid in the attic of his Sugarloaf Club Drive home before he ultimately surrendered to deputies, according to an incident report from the Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Department.
Pickens’ arrest Sunday on a misdemeanor battery charge came nearly one month after he allegedly attacked his wife on Dec. 7, 2013, at the couple’s Duluth home.
That night, they went to the movies with one of his wife’s friends. When the trio returned to the couple’s home and the friend left, Pickens and his wife began to argue about why her “friend went to the movie with them,” according to another report from the Gwinnett County Police Department.
At some point, Pickens allegedly picked up his wife, threw her on the couch, pinned her down by holding her neck and pushed her into the crevice of the couch, according to the police report. When he released his grip, Pickens allegedly threw an iPad at a wall, stepped on the screen and broke it. He left the house in his Cadillac Escalade before police arrived, but not before he allegedly threw a chair, authorities said.
Once police got to the home, they found Pickens’ wife with bruise marks on the left side of her neck, according to the report.
Fast forward to Sunday. Deputies went to the couple’s home to serve Pickens. He and his wife allegedly ignored deputies’ instructions to come to the door, and Pickens hid in his attic, according to the sheriff’s report.
Once inside the home, deputies asked Pickens to exit the attic and he complied, authorities said. Deputies arrested Pickens and took him to the Gwinnett County jail.

He was released Monday on a $2,000 bond, according to online jail records.
Pickens spent nine seasons in the NFL, most of them with the Cincinnati Bengals. He last played in 2000 with the Tennessee Titans.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 03:21 AM)McC Wrote: He was a grade A asshole.  But he was also a grade A player.

This.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 01:40 AM)J24 Wrote: I don't remember too much of the 90s Bengals other than they sucked outside of  96 and 97.
My question to the guys who remember that era how good was Carl Pickens. Would he say he should be in the the imaginary  Bengal ring of Honor?

He was great at the jump balls with our poor mans Russel Wilson (Jeff Blake) chucking him those bombs....but he was also responsible for the infamous " Carl Pickens" clause in contracts that Mikey put in as an "asshole protection" clause because of him as well.
Reply/Quote