Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Pickens
(04-15-2020, 12:17 PM)Fullrock Wrote: And there were players who absolutely loved him because they knew he was going to give it all he had every time he stepped on the field. Boomer played with him when Pickens was a rookie and then moved on to the Jets, so he's probably not the guy to speak of his attitude.

There was no issue with Pickens until the end when he spoke up about Coslet's 7-24 record and questioned aloud whether he should be the coach or not. It was no secret he and Coslet didn't get along. What Pickens did was say what everyone else was thinking. Yes, he wanted out at the end, but I don't blame him at all as he was 30 years old at the time and played his entire career at that point for a team that was 40-88 while he was there. That will jade anyone.

We ALL complained about the Bengals organization in the 90's. If Pickens was an asshole, we are all assholes.

Boomer came back in 97. He took over for Blake mid to late season. Pickens was no longer a rookie. I remember Boomer saying something about Pickens and then FB Scottie Graham. Graham was hurt and on IR and Pickens would make fun of him for still showing up. Later that year Pickens ended up missing the rest of the season. I think Boomer gave pickens taste of his own medicine. Like “why are you here?” I don’t really remember, my only news source was the Enquirer back then.

I do remember seeing an nfl films short about how much he loved hotdogs. He had a special hot dog grill inside his kitchen and they would sneak him hot dogs on the sidelines during games. Lol
Reply/Quote
I saw him lay a crushing block on a long Corey Dillon run against Jacksonville one of the last times I went to Riverfront Stadium... Carl Pickens was dope. Seemed like most of our guys were assholes in the 90s so I won't hold it against him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 10:34 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: His '95 and '96 seasons were amazing and his talent popped when watching him (of course watching him meant the Bengals weren't blacked out on television).

Where does he rank among the all-time great Bengals WRs?  I think tier one belongs to Chad Johnson and AJ Green.  Is Pickens a tier two guy with other Bengals WRs?

He is tier 1 with those guys.  I can't imagine how good he would have been if he would have been on one of the winning Bengals teams.  He was just flat out good.
Reply/Quote
He's the 3rd best WR we've ever had, after Chad and AJ.

Curtis would be 4th, btw, in case anyone is wondering.

To put the years he had together while being a complete malcontent and with the horrid teams we had, just imagine if we had been better on D, how many more opportunities he would've had to take off!

On a personal note, he's always the first (or one of the first) guys I trade away in any football game, when I start a new season or whatever.

Shitty human being, from everything I've read.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I remember him being super clutch on Game winning drives
Opening game vs the Rams he caught a game winner
I remember Neil O'Donnell sneaking a kill the clocl
Vs the Steelers and throwing a arc to CP
Then I think Akili threw a game winner to him vs
The Browns one year
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 02:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He's the 3rd best WR we've ever had, after Chad and AJ.

Curtis would be 4th, btw, in case anyone is wondering.

To put the years he had together while being a complete malcontent and with the horrid teams we had, just imagine if we had been better on D, how many more opportunities he would've had to take off!

On a personal note, he's always the first (or one of the first) guys I trade away in any football game, when I start a new season or whatever.

Shitty human being, from everything I've read.

i agree with this post. Great player on bad teams but from everything I have read he was not well liked. 
Reply/Quote
I can't believe I can't find anything about the side of the highway incident online.  I do know there was a very big deal made about it at the time.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:54 PM)McC Wrote: He punched a senior citizen on the side of the highway.  Do you do that?  I don't.  Grade A asshole.

Is punching a senior citizen better or worse than breaking a teenage girl's face while using homophobic slurs?

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 05:32 PM)McC Wrote: I can't believe I can't find anything about the side of the highway incident online.  I do know there was a very big deal made about it at the time.

I can't find anything either. You sure it was Pickens?
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 01:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: He is tier 1 with those guys.  I can't imagine how good he would have been if he would have been on one of the winning Bengals teams.  He was just flat out good.

I was thinking in terms of two guys take the field as starting WR (Chad and AJ), then we talk about who is next in line among Bengals greats at the position.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 05:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Is punching a senior citizen better or worse than breaking a teenage girl's face while using homophobic slurs?

Ninja

What does Mixon have to do with this?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 07:16 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I can't find anything either. You sure it was Pickens?

Yes,  People made a big deal out of it.  I think the two cars might have traded paint on the highway and, when they pulled over and got out, Pickens got physical.  I think it was a punch but it might have been a hard shove.

I know I remember this.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:17 PM)Fullrock Wrote: And there were players who absolutely loved him because they knew he was going to give it all he had every time he stepped on the field. Boomer played with him when Pickens was a rookie and then moved on to the Jets, so he's probably not the guy to speak of his attitude.

There was no issue with Pickens until the end when he spoke up about Coslet's 7-24 record and questioned aloud whether he should be the coach or not. It was no secret he and Coslet didn't get along. What Pickens did was say what everyone else was thinking. Yes, he wanted out at the end, but I don't blame him at all as he was 30 years old at the time and played his entire career at that point for a team that was 40-88 while he was there. That will jade anyone.

We ALL complained about the Bengals organization in the 90's. If Pickens was an asshole, we are all assholes.

Yeah, Mike Brown truly earned the moniker "Worst owner in professional sports" back in those days.

Pickens was just one of many high profile players who departed after spats with Mike Brown.

Reply/Quote
do the Bengals still have the carl pickems rule?

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 01:35 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, Mike Brown truly earned the moniker "Worst owner in professional sports" back in those days.

Pickens was just one of many high profile players who departed after spats with Mike Brown.

He departed with a spat because he was a prick, not because of MB.

Malcontents are malcontents, period.

(04-17-2020, 02:29 AM)RASCAL Wrote: do the Bengals still have the carl pickems rule?

Whole league has it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
He was exciting for a few years but Losing/Adversity should not excuse excessive behavior... it is one thing being frustrated with losing (though he was happy to be paid regardless) his behavior created what was termed the Pickens Clause which other teams have used since... he only lasted one more year in league after Bengals release...

Also to add 2014 arrrested for beating his wife.. and if he was so incident i wonder why he was hiding in the attic when the police came.. hmmm
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 02:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I remember him being super clutch on Game winning drives
Opening game vs the Rams he caught a game winner
I remember Neil O'Donnell sneaking a kill the clocl
Vs the Steelers and throwing a arc to CP
Then I think Akili threw a game winner to him vs
The Browns one year

Remember this catch against the Bears in '92, his rookie year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cymDXkeX0k#t=0m35s
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 10:03 AM)impactplaya Wrote: For 3 years there was no better WR in the NFL.
One season he scored 17 TDs.let that sink in.
17. Defenses knew Pickens was Blake's go to man
In clutch situations
In a 3 year stretch he scored 40 TDs.
In a time where the league wasn't so pass happy.
He could high point the ball as well as anyone
His route running was precise too.
Most under rated Bengal
The Bengals had a playoff caliber offense
But their defenses were soft in CPs tenure
Wish I kept his jersey
He was a TD machine

Couldn't have said it any better.

(04-15-2020, 10:34 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: His '95 and '96 seasons were amazing and his talent popped when watching him (of course watching him meant the Bengals weren't blacked out on television).

Where does he rank among the all-time great Bengals WRs?  I think tier one belongs to Chad Johnson and AJ Green.  Is Pickens a tier two guy with other Bengals WRs?

I have him right behind Chad and AJ Green, and that's only because his prime didn't last very long. If we're strictly going by career peaks, I think we'd have to put Pickens in the same tier with Chad and AJ. He was that dominant. In fact, his 3 year run from 94-96 may have been the most dominant 3 year run by any Bengals WR, especially if you're comparing to their peers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
When TJ first started ballin in like 03 or 04, he reminded me of Carl Pickens. They were a similar size and skillset, though I'd give Carl Pickens the edge going up for a deep ball, and TJ the edge on getting open in the slot.

For me, Pickens, TJ, and Cris Collinsworth are duking it out for the 4th best WR of all time for the Bengals, behind AJ, Chad, and Isaac Curtis.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 10:03 AM)impactplaya Wrote: For 3 years there was no better WR in the NFL.
One season he scored 17 TDs.let that sink in.
17. Defenses knew Pickens was Blake's go to man
In clutch situations
In a 3 year stretch he scored 40 TDs.
In a time where the league wasn't so pass happy.
He could high point the ball as well as anyone
His route running was precise too.
Most under rated Bengal
The Bengals had a playoff caliber offense
But their defenses were soft in CPs tenure
Wish I kept his jersey
He was a TD machine

I thought the same thing, then I did research. There were better WR. Starting with Jerry rice.

Chris Carter also off the top of my head.

Basically like devante Parker of the Dolphins last year.
Reply/Quote