Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlos Dunlap: Bengals aren’t doing the same thing anymore
The Bengals had a long run with Marvin Lewis as head coach, but there wasn’t much success on the field the last few years and it was hard to avoid the feeling that things had gotten stale in Cincinnati.

Attendance lagged, energy was down and, finally, Lewis was out after the 2018 season. Zac Taylor is now the man at the helm and defensive end Carlos Dunlap sent a message that they are doing things in a very different way this time around.

“I can tell you we don’t have too many of the same things [anymore] and I’ve been here 10 years,” Dunlap said, via ESPN.com. “Last year wasn’t our best foot [forward], so if people think we’re going to come out like last year, they’ve got another thing coming.”

Dunlap isn’t the only longtime Bengal feeling the difference. Wide receiver A.J. Green said the new staff is “holding everybody to a high standard” and calls that the biggest change from life under Lewis that he’s seen this offseason. It would suit the Bengals just fine if those changes are a prelude to a move up the standings come the fall.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/26/carlos-dunlap-bengals-arent-doing-the-same-thing-anymore/
Reply/Quote
You can't help but get a good vibe from all that's being said. Can't wait to see how it translates on the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
At the end of the day the players like AJ and Carlos simply knew Lewis couldnt get the Bengals
any farther then did.
one and done in the playoffs.
The players are having fun again. its contagious.
Lewis was ridgid and to the players it probally felt going to a job.punching a clock.
but deep inside as they did their best they knew things werent going to change under Lewis
No matter how,many slogans Lewis made on shirts like " do your job with a shovel"
or " thank the lunch lady" it didnt change things.
I mean how could Marvin sell his vision and accomplishments to the players.
"hey gang I have 7 playoff appearences........." but no Super Bowl appearence...
Taylor has revived the players spirit.
that you cant over emphasize.
Reply/Quote
Remember last year when Dunlap tweeted about insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.....
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 10:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals had a long run with Marvin Lewis as head coach, but there wasn’t much success on the field the last few years and it was hard to avoid the feeling that things had gotten stale in Cincinnati.

Attendance lagged, energy was down and, finally, Lewis was out after the 2018 season. Zac Taylor is now the man at the helm and defensive end Carlos Dunlap sent a message that they are doing things in a very different way this time around.

“I can tell you we don’t have too many of the same things [anymore] and I’ve been here 10 years,” Dunlap said, via ESPN.com. “Last year wasn’t our best foot [forward], so if people think we’re going to come out like last year, they’ve got another thing coming.”

Dunlap isn’t the only longtime Bengal feeling the difference. Wide receiver A.J. Green said the new staff is “holding everybody to a high standard” and calls that the biggest change from life under Lewis that he’s seen this offseason. It would suit the Bengals just fine if those changes are a prelude to a move up the standings come the fall.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/26/carlos-dunlap-bengals-arent-doing-the-same-thing-anymore/

I am not trying to be a downer, but each year our leaders speak highly of the NEW team attitude and plan. That is what good leaders do, lead positively prior to any games being played.

I hear accountability is more of a priority and I applaud it. But, I also hear from fans who say great players hold themselves accountable so does that mean Carlos, AJ, AD and Geno were not and now will??

Let's hope we have the talent, the drive and the coaching to get back to the playoffs. All the words spoken mean nothing if we only win 8,7 or less games this year. It just because lip service, that is my version of accountability, playoffs or another failed year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 08:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Remember last year when Dunlap tweeted about insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.....

......Pepperidge Farms does......and so do I. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 10:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not trying to be a downer, but each year our leaders speak highly of the NEW team attitude and plan. That is what good leaders do, lead positively prior to any games being played.

All the words spoken mean nothing if we only win 8,7 or less games this year. It just because lip service, that is my version of accountability, playoffs or another failed year.

Exactly.  They just sound like p[oliticians saying "I am going to do more good things and feqwer bad things."

I want to hear what exactly they are doing different before I put any stock in what they are saying.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 11:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.  They just sound like p[oliticians saying "I am going to do more good things and feqwer bad things."

I want to hear what exactly they are doing different before I put any stock in what they are saying.

The most encouraging concrete difference to me is the practice tempo and the fact that they are running a lot more plays.  Due to the limits on practices, particularly in pads, I think it's good to run more plays and maximize that limited time.
Reply/Quote
Man, the heads of so many old stodgy NFL fans will explode if the key to turning around an NFL franchise is to get a HC who is a millennial who will make things more fun.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 10:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals had a long run with Marvin Lewis as head coach, but there wasn’t much success on the field the last few years and it was hard to avoid the feeling that things had gotten stale in Cincinnati.

I think this is saying a lot more than people know coming from these two, both are two of the classiest players on the team. I am hearing a sense of excitement from lots of players though and we are much more uptempo with a lot of energy on both sides of the ball. We needed to change things up around here worse then any other team in the NFL in my opinion.

I believe it is happening myself. Taylor has spoke of changing the culture quite a bit.

Thinking he knows what the problem was here. I know MB is still around but maybe it was more of Marv's lazy, clap, lets go attitude that filtered down to the players. Also if any of the players saw Marv standing there with that WTF look on his face while we were getting trounced it sure doesn't exactly promote positivity...
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 11:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.  They just sound like p[oliticians saying "I am going to do more good things and feqwer bad things."

Well, for one thing we just got a HUGE offensive line..... and we drafted the best blocking TE in the draft (who, btw, can catch). We're going to run the ball this year, instead of trying it once or twice then going away from it....
Reply/Quote
Uzomah seems genuinely excited about the new offense and the vibe so far this season in the latest locker room interview on the monther site. He's not just saying the right things... you can tell he is legitimately stoked which is a positive sign IMO.
Reply/Quote
HOPEFULLY, we will see better than we hear!!!

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 01:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think this is saying a lot more than people know coming from these two, both are two of the classiest players on the team. 

I feel exactly the opposite.  I'd rather here this from a malcatent that tells it like it is instead of a company man that's going to toe the line anyways.  It's not as if aj is going to says this sucks when things are bad.  No he's going to say something positive.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 05:52 PM)motoarch Wrote: I feel exactly the opposite.  I'd rather here this from a malcatent that tells it like it is instead of a company man that's going to toe the line anyways.  It's not as if aj is going to says this sucks when things are bad.  No he's going to say something positive.

AJ's criticized the team plenty of times. See: Ken Zampese's last two games here and when he got shut down for the season a few years back.
Reply/Quote
Regardless of how much you do or don't feel any of these statements actually mean anything, you've got to at least admit that there's a noticeable spark in all the players we've heard from this offseason. Can't call that anything but a positive in my book.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 06:19 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Regardless of how much you do or don't feel any of these statements actually mean anything, you've got to at least admit that there's a noticeable spark in all the players we've heard from this offseason. Can't call that anything but a positive in my book.

Exactly. These guys could have said, "yeah, we just come into the building and get ready to work and hopefully build off the momentum from last year"...... Ninja
The fact is, these guys are buying into what ZT has been saying since he was hired! He wanted players to come in and be excited to put in the work and get better, apparently that is what's happening. 
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 11:03 PM)impactplaya Wrote: At the end of the day the players like AJ and Carlos simply knew Lewis couldnt get the Bengals
any farther then did.
one and done in the playoffs.
The players are having fun again. its contagious.
Lewis was ridgid and to the players it probally felt going to a job.punching a clock.
but deep inside as they did their best they knew things werent going to change under Lewis
No matter how,many slogans Lewis made on shirts like " do your job with a shovel"
or " thank the lunch lady" it didnt change things.
I mean how could Marvin sell his vision and accomplishments to the players.
"hey gang I have 7 playoff appearences........." but no Super Bowl appearence...
Taylor has revived the players spirit.
that you cant over emphasize.

Not only were the 0-7 in the playoffs, but that 7th loss was in epic meltdown fashion. It was blatantly clear. I'm sure it's always in the back of players minds.

For Marvin's sake, I'd love to see him coach another team like the 49ers or someone to see if he could win with different management. I think he can. I'm not so sure we'll see it.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 06:17 PM)NKURyan Wrote: AJ's criticized the team plenty of times. See: Ken Zampese's last two games here and when he got shut down for the season a few years back.

Great points. Has AJ ever criticized coaching or players before training camp? I think the point being leaders rarely diss prior to TC or 1st game ever, regardless of the team unless in some type of salary dispute.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I know it's all just talk right now, but it's still reassuring to think that the veterans are genuinely pleased with the new attitude and methodology going on.

I mean, could you even imagine if someone like Geno, Carlos, AJ, or Andy was quoted saying something like "Yeah, coach Taylor is cool and all, but some of us are still getting past Coach Lewis and the impact he had in our lives."?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote