Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlos Dunlap: Bengals aren’t doing the same thing anymore
(05-29-2019, 07:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Great points. Has AJ ever criticized coaching or players before training camp? I think the point being leaders rarely diss prior to TC or 1st game ever, regardless of the team unless in some type of salary dispute.

I would guess no, but in my opinion 99% of players wouldn't do that. AJ may very well have known that Zampese's second year wasn't going to go well, but I don't think you come out and say it because you don't want to tank team morale before even playing a game. Was he glowing in his endorsement of the offensive philosophy going into that season? I'd guess not.

We'll never know for sure, so all we can do is have some fun trying to read between the lines.
Reply/Quote
I think its encouraging. There is a difference in how the players are acting and the things they are saying. They are not just answering questions 'pc' but they seem to be going out of their way a little more to express their approval of the new staff and system. At this point I'll take it. We arent truly going to know until Sept, but so far so good.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 09:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote:
I would guess no, but in my opinion 99% of players wouldn't do that.
AJ may very well have known that Zampese's second year wasn't going to go well, but I don't think you come out and say it because you don't want to tank team morale before even playing a game. Was he glowing in his endorsement of the offensive philosophy going into that season? I'd guess not.

We'll never know for sure, so all we can do is have some fun trying to read between the lines.

That was my point, at this point in time, almost all are positive and don't trash anyone. That is what makes any comments now taken with a grain of salt (lightly).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 09:13 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That was my point, at this point in time, almost all are positive and don't trash anyone. That is what makes any comments now taken with a grain of salt (lightly).

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that if that's the case *not* being positive says a lot too. Maybe AJ was waxing poetic about how great Zampese's approach just like he has been with ZT now... but then again, maybe he wasn't, and that means if he's saying it now it probably does mean something.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 10:45 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Yeah, but what I'm saying is that if that's the case *not* being positive says a lot too. Maybe AJ was waxing poetic about how great Zampese's approach just like he has been with ZT now... but then again, maybe he wasn't, and that means if he's saying it now it probably does mean something.

I am excited for training camp and preseason games. I want to see if our offense and defense show differently. I remember us playing the Chiefs in preseason after Reid was hired. They showed a vertical passing game immediately in preseason.

I am optimistic our new coaching staff can motivate the vets, tweak the roster and get more production on both sides of the ball with better schemes. Time will tell.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 11:41 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am excited for training camp and preseason games. I want to see if our offense and defense show differently. I remember us playing the Chiefs in preseason after Reid was hired. They showed a vertical passing game immediately in preseason.

I am optimistic our new coaching staff can motivate the vets, tweak the roster and get more production on both sides of the ball with better schemes. Time will tell.

It will definitely be nice when we can finally see what their offensive and defensive approaches will be.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 05:52 PM)motoarch Wrote: I feel exactly the opposite.  I'd rather here this from a malcatent that tells it like it is instead of a company man that's going to toe the line anyways.  It's not as if aj is going to says this sucks when things are bad.  No he's going to say something positive.

So you take it as a negative, i take it as a positive. Big surprise.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 12:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Man, the heads of so many old stodgy NFL fans will explode if the key to turning around an NFL franchise is to get a HC who is a millennial who will make things more fun.

Again, I think too many people put too much emphasis on stuff that does not make a difference in coaching.

Pete Carroll was a laid-back player friendly coach who made things more fun in Seattle, and Lane Kiffen was a laid-back player friendly coach who made things more fun in Oakland.

All this "new exciting young coach" BS is meaningless.  It has to do with how smart the coach is, not his age or attitude.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Again, I think too many people put too much emphasis on stuff that does not make a difference in coaching.

Pete Carroll was a laid-back player friendly coach who made things more fun in Seattle, and Lane Kiffen was a laid-back player friendly coach who made things more fun in Oakland.

All this "new exciting young coach" BS is meaningless.  It has to do with how smart the coach is, not his age or attitude.

Right.  We want the Bengals to be successful this year and we need to convince ourselves that the people who aren't here anymore played a big role in that lack of success while the people who still are here did not.  We are going to hype up all the things ZT is that Marvin wasn't in order to "prove" we are going to be good again.  He's young, offensive minded, he's new, he's fun, he's exciting, and so on and so forth.

We have already outlined the things we can observe, and we are already assuming he's going to do things Marvin didn't.  He's going to hold players accountable, he's going to make halftime adjustments, he's going to play the young guys, he's going to not be afraid of the Steelers, and so on.  It's all glorious off-season optimism.

Honestly, if we hired a HC who wasn't any fun we'd be sitting here saying how Marvin was way too much fun and the new guy's stern silence is just what the players needed to get them winning again.
Reply/Quote
Leadership is not about having fun or not having fun. It is about engaging your employees (or players in this context). There are many ways to do this but to be sustainable you have to prove yourself to your staff in the sense of it 'it works'. If the staff see the methods used are successful they feed off it and engage themselves towards it.

We have zero idea, other than a guess, if ZT will be successful. But we do know that Merv was done (3 years ago done) and the players were dis-engaged.

So for now, the players are seeing new things and new energy, etc so they will initially engage - the question will be sustainability, and only time will tell on that.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 10:53 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Leadership is not about having fun or not having fun. It is about engaging your employees (or players in this context). There are many ways to do this but to be sustainable you have to prove yourself to your staff in the sense of it 'it works'. If the staff see the methods used are successful they feed off it and engage themselves towards it.

We have zero idea, other than a guess, if ZT will be successful. But we do know that Merv was done (3 years ago done) and the players were dis-engaged.

So for now, the players are seeing new things and new energy, etc so they will initially engage - the question will be sustainability, and only time will tell on that.

ZT is a rookie head coach. He has yet to make one huge decision on the roster or game day. I understand calling Marvin names make some feel better, but I will feel better once ZT proves he is a much better coach than ML. As of now, he has not, but I am rooting for him.

Reply/Quote
ZT seems to be open and observant.
I sure he is taking certain traits of successful HCs
and implementing those things into his own agenda.
I think ZT will be more flexiable and not so stubborn in his approach.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 12:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ZT is a rookie head coach. He has yet to make one huge decision on the roster or game day. I understand calling Marvin names make some feel better, but I will feel better once ZT proves he is a much better coach than ML. As of now, he has not, but I am rooting for him.

What an absolute crock. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 05:29 PM)McC Wrote: What an absolute crock. 

Truth hurt?

Many have negative nicknames for ML. Why? Please explain all great one why if not the need to make themselves feel better by trashing others.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 11:41 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am excited for training camp and preseason games. I want to see if our offense and defense show differently. I remember us playing the Chiefs in preseason after Reid was hired. They showed a vertical passing game immediately in preseason.

It seems like things we do in preseason games don't carry over to the season for whatever reason.
Reply/Quote