Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Carlos speaks out about Racism and Bengals
(08-25-2020, 12:41 PM)3wt Wrote: I think the article shows the understandable frustration with the problem he experienced at the park - which sounds despicable.

Honestly, it sounds like bs.  I'd give 100 to 1 odds that there some easy explanation for it, or that it was a misunderstanding, that was quickly turned into a racial thing.

I can almost guarantee there is more to that story.
[Image: 91Y8SaVR%2BqL._SL1500_.jpg]
Does anyone think that if Mike Brown issues a statement or donates some money, it will end racism in America?
(08-25-2020, 06:50 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Honestly, it sounds like bs.  I'd give 100 to 1 odds that there some easy explanation for it, or that it was a misunderstanding, that was quickly turned into a racial thing.

I can almost guarantee there is more to that story.

No.  You can't guarantee anything like that.

Racism still exists here in America.  One of the reasons we are having these protests is that so many people like you refuse to admit it.  
(08-26-2020, 09:13 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Does anyone think that if Mike Brown issues a statement or donates some money, it will end racism in America?

The one step alone will not end it, but it takes steps like this to end it or reduce it as much as possible.
(08-26-2020, 09:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The one step alone will not end it, but it takes steps like this to end it or reduce it as much as possible.

To each his own. I dont think any of this, or the protest will change the way individual people think. Maybe I'm wrong, but if someone is racist they are just going to be racist. Racism exists in all races in all countries all over the world and probably always will. Its just how it goes. I think the real trick is people just getting on with their lives and not letting the idea that some people dont like them bother them so much.
(08-26-2020, 09:40 AM)bengaloo Wrote: To each his own. I dont think any of this, or the protest will change the way individual people think. Maybe I'm wrong, but if someone is racist they are just going to be racist. Racism exists in all races in all countries all over the world and probably always will. Its just how it goes. I think the real trick is people just getting on with their lives and not letting the idea that some people dont like them bother them so much.

That'd be fine if the "people who don't like them" didn't have a significant amount of control over their lives.

"let's just not worry about racism" is an extremely privileged opinion to have.
Carlos, was the park open or closed? If it was closed, you had no business being there in the first place.
(08-26-2020, 09:40 AM)bengaloo Wrote:  I think the real trick is people just getting on with their lives and not letting the idea that some people don't like them bother them so much.

They don't care about "liking".  They care about being treated differently. 
Ohhhh geez I see a thread closing any minute now...
(08-26-2020, 11:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I used to think you were fairly intelligent. "Used to...."

Which one of us missed the point that Dunlap was not complaining about being made to leave the park?  He was complaining about being made to leave while the white guys got to stay.
(08-26-2020, 10:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Carlos, was the park open or closed? If it was closed, you had no business being there in the first place.

The story goes that he and his black workout partners were told to leave, while a nearby group of white guys practicing football, were allowed to stay and the ranger even watched/took part/whatever with them.

If it's closed, it's closed to everyone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(08-26-2020, 11:21 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The story goes that he and his black workout partners were told to leave, while a nearby group of white guys practicing football, were allowed to stay and the ranger even watched/took part/whatever with them.

Of course it is. None of them should have been there. But like I said, when you have a complaint about something, check your own actions first. That's where it starts. Then go on to the other issues. I always told my son, when he was growing up and would complain he got punished for something other kids did and did not get in trouble for, "well, should you have been doing that to start with?" And then I'd get the "but it's not fair" argument. Fair is where you go eat cotton candy. Life is not fair. If Carlos has a problem being kicked out of the park, he shouldn't have been in the park. If he has a problem that it wasn't fair that he was kicked out and other's weren't, for whatever reason, he needs to take that up with the IA department of Miami PD, or the City Council and Mayor. There is no reason for him to lay this at Mike Browns feet, Mike Brown has nothing to do with nor no control over what goes on in Miami. His handling of this is just lame.
(08-26-2020, 11:21 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The story goes that he and his black workout partners were told to leave, while a nearby group of white guys practicing football, were allowed to stay and the ranger even watched/took part/whatever with them.

The story was that ranger watched the group of white players finish their workout.  Thing is, the only way he would have known that is if his group was also allowed to stay or the other group finished while his was packing up.

It's really impossible to tell if it was racially motivated without having audio or video of all the interactions.  Somebody in Carlos's group may have been a dick to the guy.  For all we know, the white group was Tom Brady throwing passes to Gronk and they offered to sign a ball for the guy if he let them finish up.  
(08-26-2020, 12:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: The story was that ranger watched the group of white players finish their workout.  Thing is, the only way he would have known that is if his group was also allowed to stay or the other group finished while his was packing up.

It's really impossible to tell if it was racially motivated without having audio or video of all the interactions.  Somebody in Carlos's group may have been a dick to the guy.  For all we know, the white group was Tom Brady throwing passes to Gronk and they offered to sign a ball for the guy if he let them finish up.  

I said that before, the ranger may have recognized the players from the home team, and decided to watch them. Does that make it right, no..... but it also doesn't make it racist. Carlos is assuming it was race related. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.
(08-26-2020, 11:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Which one of us missed the point that Dunlap was not complaining about being made to leave the park?  He was complaining about being made to leave while the white guys got to stay.

Did you read the story?  He wasn't made to leave the park.  He was made to move to another field.

If a park ranger, who is either a state or county employee, made a "diverse" soccer team, and all black players move for no good reason this would have been a huge story. 

A white home owner gets into a dispute with a fed ex driver (with no context) = gets covered nationally.  A random crazy white broad gets into a dispute with a random black guy in a park = gets covered nationally.

Yet in this case you have a public employee egregiously singling out out people, some who are famous professional athletes, and it didn't become huge news?  How is that possible?

Where is the video of the exchange?  I'm guessing this would have been 15 plus guys who were made to move.  You're telling none of them would have started filming and pushed back on clear mistreatment?

And what public employee, in this climate, would want any part of inserting themselves in a potential story?

Why didn't the white NFL players stick up for the black NFL players?  Why aren't they being called out and publically shamed?  Drew Brees got dragged by a ton of players around the league, even his own teammates, for saying why stands for the anthem.  You don't think this guys would get called out for not only letting their peers be mistreated, but for actually staying behind?

I call bs.  Can I prove it?  No.  But I see no proof it happened either.  It just doesn't add up.

I'd be willing to bet it was something like you either had to reserve the field for so long, or their time was up, or it was a limited use field that can't support multiple sports, teams, and groups, or something else that is easily explainable.

And when the ranger just asked them to move, for a completely valid reason, it was instantly made into a race issue.

I could be wrong though. To each their own...
(08-26-2020, 11:04 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ohhhh geez I see a thread closing any minute now...

I've tried to keep the topic on Big Los and Mike Brown; unfortunately, folks are focusing on the National issue rather than how it relates to the Bengals. But yeah, this is why we can't have nice things. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Maybe it's not closed.  Maybe it's something else.  Examples:

-Maybe it's reserved.

-Maybe the time limit was up on their use.

-Maybe that field is only used for certain activites.

-Maybe they don't allow mixed groups (soccer and football)

-Maybe they violated park rules in some way.

I honestly have no clue what happened.  But I find it almost impossible to believe, that if they were in the right, that their fellow NFL peers (the white guys) didn't step up and support them.  I also find it almost impossible to believe that the black players wouldn't have immediately put the white players on blast for staying behind.

To each their own, but this doesn't pass the smell test for me.  This would/should have been a huge story.  Yet I can't find one single article about it, other than this one where Carlos talks about it.

None of the other players went public with this?  No complaints were made to the park district?  How was this not a news story?

Answer: Cuz it's bullshit.  These guys simply had to move fields, probably for a completely valid reason.
(08-26-2020, 09:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The one step alone will not end it, but it takes steps like this to end it or reduce it as much as possible.

How? How does Mike Brown donating more money or making a stronger statement of support going to reduce racism in America?

(08-26-2020, 11:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep. Things would be so much better if these coloreds would just shut the hell up and ignored white privilege.

It's white privilege to follow the rules? And that doesn't make you a racist, how?

I can buy that there may be rational alternatives to the ranger being racist, but taken at face value and without evidence to suggest otherwise, it sure does look like Carlos was a victim of racism.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(08-26-2020, 01:07 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Maybe it's not closed.  Maybe it's something else.  Examples:

-Maybe it's reserved.

-Maybe the time limit was up on their use.

-Maybe that field is only used for certain activites.

-Maybe they don't allow mixed groups (soccer and football)

-Maybe they violated park rules in some way.

I honestly have no clue what happened.  But I find it almost impossible to believe, that if they were in the right, that their fellow NFL peers (the white guys) didn't step up and support them.  I also find it almost impossible to believe that the black players wouldn't have immediately put the white players on blast for staying behind.

To each their own, but this doesn't pass the smell test for me.  This would/should have been a huge story.  Yet I can't find one single article about it, other than this one where Carlos talks about it.

None of the other players went public with this?  No complaints were made to the park district?  How was this not a news story?

Answer: Cuz it's bullshit.  These guys simply had to move fields, probably for a completely valid reason.

I'm just relaying what was said.

Frankly, MB should just sit down with him, get it over with and then MB decides what needs to be done on his end. That's it. Then both parties are satisfied and some good may come out of it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]