Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Carlos speaks out about Racism and Bengals
(08-27-2020, 06:28 PM)JSR18 Wrote: This! Finally somebody gets it! Kudos to you sir.

This and rooting out of bad Police Officers is the only solution to this problem...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Agreed.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(08-28-2020, 11:05 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I'd suggest that the Ravens' statement is a good starting point.

Again, I'd refer to the Ravens' statement.

As a pretty self-aware owner shouldn't Mike be making sure his players feel safe? That they aren't liable to be arrested for the slightest reason

Why should the burden of righting wrongs always fall on the victim?

How's it good business to alienate your most valuable assets? Fans stopped attending when the Bengals started losing. Now you've got a leader who you are looking to build around and who is inspiring the fan base and his stance on this issue is clear. You want to be on his side or not?

You look at your other star players - people like Dunlap, AJ Green, Mixon - these are players you need to win and they have opinions on this issue. Do you stand with them or not?

What you need to get fans onside is have these players successful. It's good business to be on the side of these players.
Wow a statement problem solved. Also how is ending police chokeholds going to prevent less deaths all it's going to do is result in more use of cops using their guns. Such a stupid thing to put in a statement.

If people like you were really serious about black lives this is what you would be pushing for.

1st End the Drug war- most murders happen because of gang war fair. Gangs get their money from dugs. End the the selling of illegal drugs by making them legal you end gangs.

2.) End police unions

3.) Require more training for cops and require all cops to have at least 4 years of military/National service. 

4.) School choice

5.) Less taxes and regulations on small businesses
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
long presser with Trey Hopkins and Zac. They spoke for at least 20 minutes with very little actual football discussion. I recall Trey was a substitute teacher before. Any child would be lucky to have him in their classroom

Mike Brown involved...after Carlos spoke out

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Professional athletes and celebrities in general have developed quite a knack for doing the very least they can do.

They'll do tweets in all caps and stay home from work and then pat each other on the back for what a great thing they've done and the bucket heads on CNN and ESPN will speak in grand terms of how brave They are. There. That'll fix it. Simple minds with non-solutions and their public show of nothing actually ventured and absolutely nothing gained.

Where are all the changes in Minneapolis and Atlanta? Same place the Kenosha changes will be. Nowhere.

I'm starting to believe these tiny little empty protests are the enemy of change. There...we did this grand thing, now we can go on about our business because, don't forget, we have slogans on our shirts.

And I already know the looting and the burning and the murdering are enemies of change.

To the people in the streets--you want change? Stop behaving the way the racists have as the image of you in their heads. Because I'm drawing a blank on all the changes that have come about as a result of burning down Target stores.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(08-28-2020, 02:34 PM)pally Wrote: long presser with Trey Hopkins and Zac. They spoke for at least 20 minutes with very little actual football discussion. I recall Trey was a substitute teacher before. Any child would be lucky to have him in their classroom

Mike Brown involved...after Carlos spoke out

Pretty awesome that Mike Brown came out and sat down with the players. I like him as a person. He might not be the best football owner, but he has earned my respect over the years in the principles he lives by in most cases.
(08-24-2020, 07:08 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ah boohoo. Let’s get Mike Brown to kiss the feet of Dunlap’s on the local news. Psh.

I agree. SICK of all the politics in sports... None of this is going to change anything, Its making things worse..
(08-28-2020, 01:26 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I definitely agree that things are more important than a paycheck, especially people's lives for God sake.

Just saying there is a place to speak about all of this and it isn't on the court or football field.

We need to have a place away from politics and the ratings show most feel the same.

We will do something else other than watch sports, maybe play them if this keeps up.

Sucks, thought with Burrow we would get our Super Bowl and I would want to watch it.

Don't care as much if this is going on, keep politics out of sports....

We have so much politics everywhere, I know what they are going to say before they say it. Have for years.

How are you gonna play sports when everyone over 18 years old hates each other? I'm kidding... But only kinda.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Athletes and Celebrities forget they are celebrated mostly for their talent.

While your College Valedictorians and Rich Rule the Country.

No change will come from these protests. Agreed their is systematic racism but until you get all the Billionaires on board this all will fall on deaf ears. I don't see athletes who aren't willing to give up their millions being the change... it will need to come elsewhere. May never come honestly.

We live in an era in America right now where we aren't use to everyday violence... how lucky are we though? Everyone on this board could of been born in the Middle East. Violence has always been part of the world it likely won't ever end. That is my pessimistic outlook.

People argue every day about stupid sh** including minor discussion points on this board. Why does anything think they will be able to change mostly made up minds is beyond me.
[Image: 1500x500]
listen to the Trey Hopkins press conference. He very eloquently states why they want to speak up. It boils down to...no matter how much money we make, how nice our homes our, when it is all said and done and we take off our shoulder pads we are still black men

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/trey-hopkins-bengals-players-mike-brown-meeting

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

The first rule of warfare: know thy enemy.

The second rule of warfare: know what victory looks like.
(08-28-2020, 08:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: All one really needs to do is look at the fact that black police officer's are as likely, or more likely, to shoot black suspects than white officers, to see that the entire problem is not just racism. 

Systemic poverty can be conflated with systemic racism if economic resources aren't distributed to populations without the heir/heiress momentum factor.  Or it can be a symptom of systemic racism depending on your perspective. The Italians and Irish in New York City used to be "kept in their place" systemically.  Those communities were more violent and more poverty stricken than their relative peers.  Nowadays we don't hear about how terrible the Irish and Italians are, do we?  Why is that?
(08-26-2020, 10:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That'd be fine if the "people who don't like them" didn't have a significant amount of control over their lives.

"let's just not worry about racism" is an extremely privileged opinion to have.

I agree the elected officials for the majority of black communities have failed them for many many years. Its sad to see and I hope it changes, and I think its starting to.
(08-28-2020, 02:14 PM)J24 Wrote: Wow a statement problem solved. Also how is ending police chokeholds going to prevent less deaths all it's going to do is result in more use of cops using their guns. Such a stupid thing to put in a statement.

If people like you were really serious about black lives this is what you would be pushing for.

1st End the Drug war- most murders happen because of gang war fair. Gangs get their money from dugs. End the the selling of illegal drugs by making them legal you end gangs.

2.) End police unions

3.) Require more training for cops and require all cops to have at least 4 years of military/National service. 

4.) School choice

5.) Less taxes and regulations on small businesses

I think the 5 things you listed are actually legit and would go a very long way. Solutions to problems that can be addressed through lawmakers and not a divisive media. Ending the drug war would put dealers and pushers out of business in a day. It may stir things up for a minute but it would calm down for sure. Just have to get the "public servants" on board, but most of them act like public rulers these days, funded by big biz. Thats' step 1, imo.

But overall I agree with Nate. They have to keep this out of sports. A lot of people use sports as an escape from the issues we face during the week. This is going to backfire for the leagues if you ask me. These pro athletes have money and a lot of fans. Enough to make change in the offseason and in their spare time if they desire to put the effort in. Using the time they should be focused on their multi-million dollar paying jobs to do this isnt going to have the effect they want. Its going to drive half of their fans away. Not good PR if you ask me.
(08-28-2020, 09:21 PM)jason Wrote: How are you gonna play sports when everyone over 18 years old hates each other? I'm kidding... But only kinda.

I don't hate anybody, which is weird that some do...

Over where I live we all get along, it is just not the same in the city I guess lol
(08-29-2020, 03:36 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Systemic poverty can be conflated with systemic racism if economic resources aren't distributed to populations without the heir/heiress momentum factor.  Or it can be a symptom of systemic racism depending on your perspective.  The Italians and Irish in New York City used to be "kept in their place" systemically.  Those communities were more violent and more poverty stricken than their relative peers.  Nowadays we don't hear about how terrible the Irish and Italians are, do we?  Why is that?

I remember watching that show "Kill the Irishman." Pretty wild.

You rooted for the Irish at the beginning cause the Italians were so bad but then the Irishman became just like them...

Based on a true story.

The big dude from King Arthur played as the Irishman, crazy show.
(08-29-2020, 11:08 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I think the 5 things you listed are actually legit and would go a very long way. Solutions to problems that can be addressed through lawmakers and not a divisive media. Ending the drug war would put dealers and pushers out of business in a day. It may stir things up for a minute but it would calm down for sure. Just have to get the "public servants" on board, but most of them act like public rulers these days, funded by big biz. Thats' step 1, imo.

But overall I agree with Nate. They have to keep this out of sports. A lot of people use sports as an escape from the issues we face during the week. This is going to backfire for the leagues if you ask me. These pro athletes have money and a lot of fans. Enough to make change in the offseason and in their spare time if they desire to put the effort in. Using the time they should be focused on their multi-million dollar paying jobs to do this isnt going to have the effect they want. Its going to drive half of their fans away. Not good PR if you ask me.

You are a smart dude Bengaloo. Cool
(08-29-2020, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't hate anybody, which is weird that some do...

Over where I live we all get along, it is just not the same in the city I guess lol

We mostly just do it online... Hahaha.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-29-2020, 03:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I remember watching that show "Kill the Irishman." Pretty wild.

You rooted for the Irish at the beginning cause the Italians were so bad but then the Irishman became just like them...

Based on a true story.

The big dude from King Arthur played as the Irishman, crazy show.

Good movie. Ray Stevenson was also in HBO’s series Rome. Which I highly recommend.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(08-29-2020, 07:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Good movie. Ray Stevenson was also in HBO’s series Rome. Which I highly recommend.

I will check it out, thanks Nicomo. Rock On
(08-28-2020, 09:41 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Why does anything think they will be able to change mostly made up minds is beyond me.

Over the last 20 years there has been a major shift in acceptance.  MANY minds have been changed.

We have had the first Muslims elected to the US Congress.  We have had multiple members of the LBGT community elected to important positions all across the country.  Twenty years ago a large majority of this country opposed equal protection under the law for homosexuals, but now 63% of Americans favor same sex marriage.  And these are not just people "pretending" to change to avoid being criticized.  Voting booths and national polls are anonymous. 

LOTS of minds are being changed.  And a lot of it has to do with people being made aware that it is not acceptable to discriminate.  The more people speak out about it publicly the more people will be aware that not everyone believes like their close friends and family who were the major influence on their beliefs.