Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlos wants NFL sack record.
(06-16-2015, 07:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I remember last year prior to the draft NFL Radio was interviewing a 'Bama FB/TE. They asked him about blocking Clowney. Guy said he hadn't witnessed that combo of size and speed since Carlos Dunlap. Thought it said a lot that Carlos immediately came to they guy's mind. I would love to see what Carlos could do from the blindside.

Wasn't Michael Williams, was it?

Indeed, a GREAT compliment.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 03:10 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: And I hope he gets his wish.

Of course, I guess I would be happy with 15 sacks

I'd be happy with 11 even; just get 1 a game and I'll be ecstatic; he EASILY could've had one a game, save for one Pitt game and the first Cleveland game.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 01:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am the exact opposite.  after his rookie season I was convinced that he was about to become one of the best DEs in the entire league.  I still think he is pretty damn good, but not as good as i expected after that rookie season.

Agreed, I don't think he has lived fully up to his potential. Has the potential to be a top 3 DE in the NFL. Always seems to come up half a second short. Still a great player!
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 04:51 PM)J24 Wrote: He has the ability to do it but with Geno, Gilberry, and with Johnson being back I am not sure he can reach those numbers because those guys will get there's as well(if right).

Thats what i was thinking. I think there will be too many sacks spread around for one guy to get that many.

Not that Carlos cannot do it, like you said, just doubt it and that is not necessarily a bad thing.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 01:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not sure I've ever watched another D-lineman be so very close so very many times and just come up a teeny tiny tad short of a sack so many times.

What is stopping him ? Bad luck ? The football gods ? Not holding his mouth right ? Half a step, no a quarter of a step faster on so many plays and his sack numbers are doubled.

I fully believe he can be a truly elite DE !

In a recent interview I think Hayes said that Carlos needs to learn to finish.

I'm not sure what that is:  more effort at the end of his rush, not giving up, taking bad final angles.  I don't know.  Hopefully Hayes is telling Carlos more than just, "you have to finish better"

I think having a strong supporting cast around him again is going to really help him.   He's definitely got the ability.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 04:15 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: From Hobs...

Left end Carlos Dunlap can’t set his goal any higher. He’s shooting for 23 sacks because the NFL record is Michael Strahan’s 22.5 in 2001 for the Giants. Dunlap, who had a career-high 9.5 sacks as a rookie in 2010, says he spent his offseason focusing on his get-off and using a stance that is more “functional than comfortable.”

Homie better work on finishing, not starting better. Getting double digit sacks would be a good start too.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Carlos sounds motivated. I as well like the reports I hear all along the defensive line. It sounds as if the entire unit is highly motivated. I think the rotation was highly missed last season. I feel Gilberry is a very good situational player but not a great starting player. I think Gilberry could be a very productive rotational player on the interior of the line on passing downs. A good guy for Hardison to learn from.

Reports on Will Clarke seem cautiously optimistic as well. I for one look forward to see what he can bring to this defense in his second season.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 07:17 PM)3wt Wrote: In a recent interview I think Hayes said that Carlos needs to learn to finish.

I'm not sure what that is:  more effort at the end of his rush, not giving up, taking bad final angles.  I don't know.  Hopefully Hayes is telling Carlos more than just, "you have to finish better"

I think having a strong supporting cast around him again is going to really help him.   He's definitely got the ability.

I think it was for all of us to see last season, he missed atleast half of the sacks he got.

That adds up to 18 sacks if he can finish the tackle on the QB...
(06-17-2015, 07:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Homie better work on finishing, not starting better. Getting double digit sacks would be a good start too.

Yes sir.
(06-17-2015, 09:05 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Carlos sounds motivated. I as well like the reports I hear all along the defensive line. It sounds as if the entire unit is highly motivated. I think the rotation was highly missed last season. I feel Gilberry is a very good situational player but not a great starting player. I think Gilberry could be a very productive rotational player on the interior of the line on passing downs. A good guy for Hardison to learn from.

Reports on Will Clarke seem cautiously optimistic as well. I for one look forward to see what he can bring to this defense in his second season.

Yeah, it is not far fetched if Geno gets back to being what he was and MJ and the entire rotation get back to what they were.

We should be right back in the sack race.
Reply/Quote