Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlos wants the sack record
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/03/bengals-carlos-dunlap-aiming-for-michael-strahans-sack-record-2/
Reply/Quote
Love the passion, yet not sure he can take it away from Strahan. Rooting for him!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Unlikely. But it may be plausible in a year or 2 with Billings starting. The pressure up the middle will help.

Reply/Quote
Carlos backed up last year's talk with a pretty good 13 sacks. I think it is often forgotten that he is a LDE, and the majority of QBs will see him coming, whereas a lot of the big sack machines are RDEs. He is a very important part on this defense and I like that he keeps putting himself out there like this.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 07:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Carlos backed up last year's talk with a pretty good 13 sacks.  I think it is often forgotten that he is a LDE, and the majority of QBs will see him coming, whereas a lot of the big sack machines are RDEs.  He is a very important part on this defense and I like that he keeps putting himself out there like this.

A lot of people suggest that his sack numbers are less impressive because he's a LDE. Thing is, so many great DE's like Reggie White, Strahan and JJ Watt were also LDE's. 

These LDE's may not be taking on the top Tackles every week, but it's not like all RT's are scrubs. Also, like you said, they don't get the benefit of coming at the QB's blind side.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 11:35 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A lot of people suggest that his sack numbers are less impressive because he's a LDE. Thing is, so many great DE's like Reggie White, Strahan and JJ Watt were also LDE's. 

These LDE's may not be taking on the top Tackles every week, but it's not like all RT's are scrubs. Also, like you said, they don't get the benefit of coming at the QB's blind side.

The LDE also often get's chipped by the TE, as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He was saying this last year and had a great year. Not as good as he wanted but still a great year.

He definately has the ability, i think he is the most disruptive pass rushing End in the league besides Watt.

Carlos has a bigger wingspan than Watt and i think he is deceivingly strong.

Also, i agree with what the others said about him doing this while the QB can see him coming, impressive.

I always wondered what he could do if we put him at RDE at times...
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He was saying this last year and had a great year. Not as good as he wanted but still a great year.

He definately has the ability, i think he is the most disruptive pass rushing End in the league besides Watt.

Carlos has a bigger wingspan than Watt and i think he is deceivingly strong.

Also, i agree with what the others said about him doing this while the QB can see him coming, impressive.

I always wondered what he could do if we put him at RDE at times...
His athleticism for his size is off the charts. He returned a fumble for a TD against Indy in 2011 where he juked the entire offense. He shook Tyrod Taylor outta his shoes on an int return the next year. Those big fat RTs don't have a shot against him. He's been my favorite Bengal since he started wrecking shop his rookie season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yeah, Carlos put that out there quite a bit last year - he told me he feels putting it out in the public space makes him more accountable, makes the goal more reachable ...
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2015/10/17/carlos-dunlap-finds-maturity-quest-23/74123990/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Didn't he have 3 or 4 taken away by penalty last year?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 04:45 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Yeah, Carlos put that out there quite a bit last year - he told me he feels putting it out in the public space makes him more accountable, makes the goal more reachable ...
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2015/10/17/carlos-dunlap-finds-maturity-quest-23/74123990/

Maybe he doesn't get the record but maybe the pursuit of it gets him to 15 or more.  Like Vince Lombardi's pursuit of perfection.  You know you'll never get there but you might get to greatness in the pursuit.  Carlos just keeps stepping up his game.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 05:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Didn't he have 3 or 4 taken away by penalty last year?

I don't remember. He is good for a horse collar or two every year though. Those long arms get him into trouble sometimes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 07:55 PM)jason Wrote: I don't remember. He is good for a horse collar or two every year though. Those long arms get him into trouble sometimes.

I agree but I was more referring to other players getting penalties.   Holding by a DB, etc.  
Reply/Quote
And he's a serious threat to do it !

In both 2013 and 2014 he had to be within 1/8 step of a sack on 10 occasions. With a healthy Geno and Billings maybe getting some inside snaps I can see him being a real terror outside.
Reply/Quote
Couple years back when folks were losing their minds over Clowney I listened to an interview by a Bama FB. He was asked had he ever seen a combination of speed, size, and strength that Clowney possessed. Dude didn't even hesitate when he said Carlos Dunlap.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He had a few sacks taken away from him last year.

Of course, other DE's may have had some taken away as well.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 04:08 PM)jason Wrote:  He's been my favorite Bengal since he started wrecking shop his rookie season.

After his rookie year i thought we had a multi year All Pro in Dunlap.  He is just now getting back to the production he had that first year, but I still believe he could take another step and be an All Pro.
Reply/Quote
If Dunlap actually achieved the sack record, then I think we can cement him as the best DE we've had.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2016, 03:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: After his rookie year i thought we had a multi year All Pro in Dunlap.  He is just now getting back to the production he had that first year, but I still believe he could take another step and be an All Pro.
Me too. I know he had an injury or two in 2011 and 12, and was really still just a situational pass rusher early on. His numbers weren't all that gaudy til lately, but I remember reading that he was up near the top in hurries putting pressure on QBs back then. I may have read it from Hobson, but I read it. He's just a playmaker. Forced fumbles, picks batted down passes, blocked FGs....

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
If he puts in the work, nothing is impossible!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote