Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carman under contract
Every time I see his name I see "Cartman"
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm truly torn on this one, fellas.

My optimistic heart wants to say "Hey, look at this guy signing before the majority of other 2nd round picks.  He must really want to get to work!".

While my skeptical brain says his agent likely said "Hey Tubby, you better get over there and sign that deal, before that back injury flares up and they change their minds altogether"..   Ninja

Referring to the young man as "tubby" seems rather crass. From what I gather, the young man has put quite a bit of work into trimming down a bit and getting himself into remarkably good shape for a gentleman his size. 

I would hope that we are all enthusiastically rooting for the young man and not tearing him down as I've witnessed in reading various threads concerning him and his selection in the draft. Cheers!
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 02:58 PM)Destro Wrote: Every time I see his name I see "Cartman"

Better respect his authori tie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 03:04 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Referring to the young man as "tubby" seems rather crass. From what I gather, the young man has put quite a bit of work into trimming down a bit and getting himself into remarkably good shape for a gentleman his size. 

I would hope that we are all enthusiastically rooting for the young man and not tearing him down as I've witnessed in reading various threads concerning him and his selection in the draft. Cheers!

Well said.Cheers
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 03:04 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Referring to the young man as "tubby" seems rather crass. From what I gather, the young man has put quite a bit of work into trimming down a bit and getting himself into remarkably good shape for a gentleman his size. 

We're all on this board for the same reason, because the Bengals are our favorite NFL team.  Not all fans are ultra positive and hyper optimistic, believing that every player the team selects will be a star.  Now, most of us started out that way, for sure.  I used to be one of those who became intoxicated with enthusiasm and optimism after every draft class, completely believing that each and every season was going to be "The Year" the Bengals break through and win the Lombardi.

However, after a youthful fanhood of watching the team narrowly lose two Superbowls, and then watching them fall into an abyss of mismanagement in every facet of the practice, getting my hopes up time after time only to be crushed over and over, I decided to look at things a little more objectively.  Now, I have learned to be skeptical of the Bengals moves, examine what could go wrong before blindly buying into the upside of things.

We're both still dedicated fans, we just choose to root for our team in different fashions.  So, with that in mind, I'll ask you to not judge me by my style of being a fan, and I won't hassle you about taking some sort of sanctimonious high ground while looking down upon my opinions.  Wink

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 06:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We're all on this board for the same reason, because the Bengals are our favorite NFL team.  Not all fans are ultra positive and hyper optimistic, believing that every player the team selects will be a star.  Now, most of us started out that way, for sure.  I used to be one of those who became intoxicated with enthusiasm and optimism after every draft class, completely believing that each and every season was going to be "The Year" the Bengals break through and win the Lombardi.

However, after a youthful fanhood of watching the team narrowly lose two Superbowls, and then watching them fall into an abyss of mismanagement in every facet of the practice, getting my hopes up time after time only to be crushed over and over, I decided to look at things a little more objectively.  Now, I have learned to be skeptical of the Bengals moves, examine what could go wrong before blindly buying into the upside of things.

We're both still dedicated fans, we just choose to root for our team in different fashions.  So, with that in mind, I'll ask you to not judge me by my style of being a fan, and I won't hassle you about taking some sort of sanctimonious high ground while looking down upon my opinions.  Wink

I literally said nothing about your "style of being a fan", so I'm unsure as to where that accusation is derived. I simply offered that calling the young man "tubby" seemed crass. I never questioned your devotion as a fan. I only stated that we should be enthusiastically rooting for him to succeed, which I'm sure you agree with. My post addressed something you stated and not you personally. We should be able to discuss the nature of our statements, in a respectful manner.

Best regards.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 05:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well said.Cheers

Thank you. Here's to hoping for a great season!
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 09:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Trims down? WTH, his biggest draw was his athleticism. He does not need to lose weight.

I was thinking of the other guy
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 06:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We're all on this board for the same reason, because the Bengals are our favorite NFL team.  Not all fans are ultra positive and hyper optimistic, believing that every player the team selects will be a star.  Now, most of us started out that way, for sure.  I used to be one of those who became intoxicated with enthusiasm and optimism after every draft class, completely believing that each and every season was going to be "The Year" the Bengals break through and win the Lombardi.

I disagree.... It's impossible not to judge. Our subconscious does it for us in every single thing we see, hear, taste, touch, etc.

Basically, you're really just asking him to not speak his opinion of your outspoken opinion against what he obviously feels is a foolish stance.... Oh, the irony.

People should outwardly judge more, IMO. It would force us to all to have to explain and own up to our opinions and logically (or idiotically) show our line of thinking. Others would rather hide behind the classic: I'm allowed an opinion (a fancy word for judgement, btw). Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

^ Certainly people are free to have an opinion and express it. And others are free to have an opinion on if that opinion makes someone a bad fan.... or not.... and express it. It's only fair.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 10:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I disagree.... It's impossible not to judge. Our subconscious does it for us in every single thing we see, hear, taste, touch, etc.

Basically, you're really just asking him to not speak his opinion of your outspoken opinion against what he obviously feels is a foolish stance.... Oh, the irony.

Understood, all fans free to express their own opinions of the team.  When skeptical opinions are accepted without criticism and rebuke, we will have achieved full inclusion of all Bengal fans on this board.   Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 10:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Understood, all fans free to express their own opinions of the team.  When skeptical opinions are accepted without criticism and rebuke, we will have achieved full inclusion of all Bengal fans on this board.   Mellow

Answer this simple question:

Which opinions are met with more criticism and rebuke on this board, positive or negative?

Full inclusion is a great thing.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 10:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Answer this simple question:

Which opinions are met with more criticism and rebuke on this board, positive or negative?

Full inclusion is a great thing.  

Superb question. I choose to look towards the positive on everything with the team, and am called a "Homer" for expressing those opinions. So what's the opposite of a homer...... an away-er?
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 08:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Superb question. I choose to look towards the positive on everything with the team, and am called a "Homer" for expressing those opinions. So what's the opposite of a homer...... an away-er?

Nothing wrong with being positive.

It's the "on everything with the team" that'll get you the homer label from most.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 09:14 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Nothing wrong with being positive.

It's the "on everything with the team" that'll get you the homer label from most.

I criticize the team for things I think need to be criticized. I didn't like the fact MB wouldn't spend on free agents. He's changed that. I didn't like the fact we were stuck in mediocrity with Marvin, and they changed that (finally). It doesn't bother me that it's a family run business. It doesn't bother me that they practice outside. I don't like our win/loss record with Taylor, but I see what he's doing, who he's bringing in, and like what he's building. I like our last couple of drafts. I see that Lou is trying to build HIS defense and has changed personnel to suit what he wants to do. I acknowledge the fact (as do the analysts on NFL radio) that no DC could have been successful with the MASH unit they had last year. So I remain positive on most everything with the team as it stands today. I've also said this is Taylor's sink or swim year. So instead of criticizing every single move they make, to include draft picks who haven't taken a single snap yet, I choose to remain positive. I mean, really, if all someone is going to do is complain about every single move this team makes, why would they not switch to a team they think is run the way they want it to be? Life is too short to wallow in pessimistic misery.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 09:14 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Nothing wrong with being positive.

The labeling either way is the opposite of inclusion. Here is a thought, we a should not label anyone or anything. Opinions can be written without labeling (personal attacks).

Having said that, I am trying very hard (not always successful) to not start a war with my words. I know everyone in here shares one thing, we love our Bengals or did at one time and want reasons to love them again.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

I thought I was the only one.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 10:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When skeptical opinions are accepted without criticism and rebuke, we will have achieved full inclusion of all Bengal fans on this board.   Mellow

Because positive opinions never receive criticism or rebuke?

Is this supposed to be a joke?
Reply/Quote
I love this argument. . .

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion but no one is allowed to have an opinion different from mine."

The whole point of a message board is to discuss and debate different opinions. If you can't take it when someone judges your opinion then you should not come here.
Reply/Quote

It's a good job Anderson is no longer the QB.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 07:02 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Thank you. Here's to hoping for a great season!

Yes, the light could come on for Taylor. Love the team they have built.

Loved the way they attacked the trenches on both sides of the ball, they understood where the problems lie.

(05-19-2021, 09:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was thinking of the other guy

Trey Hill? He is a big boy no doubt, one hell of an anchor. Still, helps with NT's having that much meat on your Center.

(05-20-2021, 09:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I criticize the team for things I think need to be criticized. I didn't like the fact MB wouldn't spend on free agents. He's changed that. I didn't like the fact we were stuck in mediocrity with Marvin, and they changed that (finally). It doesn't bother me that it's a family run business. It doesn't bother me that they practice outside. I don't like our win/loss record with Taylor, but I see what he's doing, who he's bringing in, and like what he's building. I like our last couple of drafts. I see that Lou is trying to build HIS defense and has changed personnel to suit what he wants to do. I acknowledge the fact (as do the analysts on NFL radio) that no DC could have been successful with the MASH unit they had last year. So I remain positive on most everything with the team as it stands today. I've also said this is Taylor's sink or swim year. So instead of criticizing every single move they make, to include draft picks who haven't taken a single snap yet, I choose to remain positive. I mean, really, if all someone is going to do is complain about every single move this team makes, why would they not switch to a team they think is run the way they want it to be? Life is too short to wallow in pessimistic misery.

Agree, life is too short to wallow in pessimistic misery. Great post.

The thing is, I wanted Carman in the 2nd or 3rd before the Draft. There were only a couple of OL I liked better in these 
rounds in Eichenberg and Creed Humphrey. Funny how we got him and a lot of smart posters acted like he was a reach 
which he was not. Carman could be the best OL in this entire Draft and I am not even close to kidding. 

Carman is that great of a mauling, run blocking Lineman with the switch to Guard taking away the speed rush weakness.
Reply/Quote