Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carolina presents a major challenge
We all know how the Bengals have fared covering backs and TE’s over the past, well, forever. Enter Christian McCaffrey and thankfully, an Olson-less Panthers. The guy from Indiana replacing Olson is athletic as he11 though. Linebackers will have to play well this week to win.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
With the extra time to prepare, I think the defense will be ready. They (at least as far as I know of them) don't have a vertical threat that can beat us deep. I think the Bengals need to challenge them up close and force them to try and beat us over the top, and with their situation at Tackle (both), I don't think they would have time to get past us.

I hope Austin will play a more aggressive scheme.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Do we know if Preston Brown will be back for this game?

Reply/Quote
That TE dropped a major pass in the Falcons game Sunday. McCafferey has to be our main focus going into this game. Their O line is banged up and missing starters which means we should be able to get home, we just have to focus on bringing Cam down. Offensively they just haven't been that good this year. Kuechly has even had a couple bad games.

I think we win this one by 7-10 points.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Do we know if Preston Brown will be back for this game?

I heard that had we played on Sunday this week he probably would have played, so I'd guess yes unless he re injures it. 
Reply/Quote
I’m interested to see how our offense looks without Mixon. With Mixon playing teams have to respect the run and that opens things up for AJ Green. It will be tough to run against them with Kuechly and if I’m Carolina I double AJ Green , this is the type of game we need Ross to step up. Also if Price is out the DT Short for the Panthers is very disruptive in the run and passing game , Short vs Hopkins will be a matchup to watch. Agree with the poster I’m worried about the backs catching the ball and also containing Cam Newton in the pocket. The Panthers Wide recievers don’t really scare me Funches is a big guy at 6’4 and I think it’s a good matchup for Kirkpatrick.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:33 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I’m interested to see how our offense looks without Mixon. With Mixon playing teams have to respect the run and that opens things up for AJ Green.  It will be tough to run against them with Kuechly and if I’m Carolina I double AJ Green , this is the type of game we need Ross to step up. Also if Price is out the DT Short for the Panthers is very disruptive in the run and passing game , Short vs Hopkins will be a matchup to watch. Agree with the poster I’m worried about the backs catching the ball and also containing Cam Newton in the pocket. The Panthers Wide recievers don’t really scare me Funches is a big guy at 6’4 and I think it’s a good matchup for Kirkpatrick.

Carolina runs an offshoot of the Tampa 2. Doubling doesn't occur as much because of the zone heavy nature of the scheme. What you do have here though is a lot of two high safety looks. I think it will be a big week for Boyd working out of the slot as well as Eiffert. Look for them to move AJ into the slot a couple times and take shots down the middle of the field to exploit the weakness int he zones. Lots of combo routes out of twins and trips as well can expose the zone gaps. 
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:41 AM)Au165 Wrote: Carolina runs an offshoot of the Tampa 2. Doubling doesn't occur as much because of the zone heavy nature of the scheme. What you do have here though is a lot of two high safety looks. I think it will be a big week for Boyd working out of the slot as well as Eiffert. Look for them to move AJ into the slot a couple times and take shots down the middle of the field to exploit the weakness int he zones. Lots of combo routes out of twins and trips as well can expose the zone gaps. 

They get away with that two high Safety look, because their LBs are so good in coverage.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
You guys always play NFC teams tough. You've beaten us the past 3 out of 4 meetings. I expect the Bengals to possibly steal a win in Carolina.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They get away with that two high Safety look, because their LBs are so good in coverage.

Kuechly hasn't been himself this year so far. He got beat up a little this past weekend. Either way you use combo routes with different levels to hold linebackers in cover 2. If I drop a crosser under a post you force the LB to declare.
Reply/Quote
Cam Newton is basically a stronger, healthier, faster, and smarter version of Ben Roethlisberger. Getting pressure on him isn’t easy and bringing him down is next to impossible. The only way to stop Newton is to cover all his deep receivers tight so he has to either check it down or run it himself.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:41 AM)Au165 Wrote: Carolina runs an offshoot of the Tampa 2. Doubling doesn't occur as much because of the zone heavy nature of the scheme. What you do have here though is a lot of two high safety looks. I think it will be a big week for Boyd working out of the slot as well as Eiffert. Look for them to move AJ into the slot a couple times and take shots down the middle of the field to exploit the weakness int he zones. Lots of combo routes out of twins and trips as well can expose the zone gaps. 

This^^^
I expect a heavy dose to Boyd crossing the middle to bring those LBs up. Then send Eifert between the safties and LBs.
Reply/Quote
Carolina presents a major challenge for Bengals, but the Bengals present a major challenge for them as well.

Should be a good game and like others expect Boyd to be key opposed to Ross in this one.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Thanks for the info good stuff . Wasnt really sure what D they ran just figured after watching the Ravens game the coaching staff would emphasize stopping AJ lol.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:15 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Carolina presents a major challenge for Bengals, but the Bengals present a major challenge for them as well.

Should be a good game and like others expect Boyd to be key opposed to Ross in this one.

I live in Raleigh and watch the Panthers a lot. Going to the game.

Their best weapon is Cam running the ball. If the Bengals can contain him, they will be in good shape.

The comparison to Big Ben is a good one except Cam is a much better  runner and Ben is a better passer.

Cam can definitely throw 2 or 3 INTS. He can also run for three TDs.

They have a very strong run defense. Bad game to lose Mixon.
Reply/Quote
Newton absolutely killed us running the ball last time we played. He had over 100 yards and converted a bunch of third downs. Nothing fancy, but they had some sort of play that worked against our defensive scheme. I think he even had a rushing td or two.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Newton absolutely killed us running the ball last time we played.  He had over 100 yards and converted a bunch of third downs.  Nothing fancy, but they had some sort of play that worked against our defensive scheme.  I think he even had a rushing td or two.

Exactly right.

As I recall the game was in Cincy and we tied after missing a field goal at the end of overtime?
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Do we know if Preston Brown will be back for this game?

Not sure but I don't think Brown covers TE's well regardless.  I also think this is one game Jefferson should be activated so that he can spy on Newton.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 01:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Not sure but I don't think Brown covers TE's well regardless.  I also think this is one game Jefferson should be activated so that he can spy on Newton.  

Yep we need a spy on Cam and a controlled rush like they used on Big Jen few years ago while Zim was still here.

Don't let him out of the pocket.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Newton absolutely killed us running the ball last time we played.  He had over 100 yards and converted a bunch of third downs.  Nothing fancy, but they had some sort of play that worked against our defensive scheme.  I think he even had a rushing td or two.

yes but we didn't lose that game
Reply/Quote