Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caroline Blackburn
We have rightly given a lot of credit to Elizabeth Blackburn for the new openness and increased fan engagement surrounding the Bengals. She has said that a Ring of Honor, new uniforms, and an indoor practice facility were her 3 big goals when she joined the front office. She has achieved all 3 of those in less than 3 years.

We, however, have also given her a lot of credit for the massive improvement in their social media interactions and strategy. Turns out we should have been crediting younger sister Caroline, who is the Senior Manager of Digital Strategy, for that improvement. NFL numbers have shown that the Bengals have by far, the largest increase in fan social media engagement in the NFL over the last 2 years. And it is not solely due to the team's improvement. The quality of their output is 1000% better than it was just a couple of years ago. It has humor, quality graphics, and good content all aimed at the social media generation which helps build the future fan base.

These young women have injected a breath of fresh air into team management. Their emergence coupled with the Joe Burrow playing era seems like it could be a perfect alignment of the stars as we watch the team move forward.

We'll have to watch to see if either Elizabeth or Caroline has the chops to be GM one day. But, right now with Katie slated to run the team and her daughters waiting in the wings, the future of team management looks bright

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Nice!

Let's face it though...if we still had Dalton as our QB and were going 4-13...I doubt the fans would be as engaged. It's a bunch of reasons.

But, the Bengals social media is pretty awesome lately!
Reply/Quote
I agree they have done a great job of branding. But marketing and social media are far cry from being a GM, hopefully we hire professionals for football operations moving forward.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 09:20 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I agree they have done a great job of branding.  But marketing and social media are far cry from being a GM, hopefully we hire professionals for football operations moving forward.

These young women are both in their 20s.  Their mother is in her 50s.  They have plenty of time to learn the ropes.  BUt even if neither ever becomes a GM, it is almost certain one of them will be team President one day.  Understanding all aspects of the business is essential to running it one day

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 09:23 AM)pally Wrote: These young women are both in their 20s.  Their mother is in her 50s.  They have plenty of time to learn the ropes.  BUt even if neither ever becomes a GM, it is almost certain one of them will be team President one day.  Understanding all aspects of the business is essential to running it one day

I'm all for family at executive spots... But I have had enough of Mike Brown being GM to last me a lifetime. Of course our titles and job descriptions are tad different than other teams.  My hope is that we always have football people doing football stuff moving forward.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 09:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Nice!

Let's face it though...if we still had Dalton as our QB and were going 4-13...I doubt the fans would be as engaged. It's a bunch of reasons.

But, the Bengals social media is pretty awesome lately!

This x10000 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 09:28 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I'm all for family at executive spots... But I have had enough of Mike Brown being GM to last me a lifetime. Of course our titles and job descriptions are tad different than other teams.  My hope is that we always have football people doing football stuff moving forward.

What constitutes "football people"?  Mike Brown is a football people.  He simply lacks the imagination to move the team forward.  It has nothing to do with his football knowledge.

The GM of the Vikings, for example, was a commodities trader 10 years ago. These women have spent their entire lives in football.  They may not have played but plenty of GMs and team Presidents have never played football.  

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 09:36 AM)pally Wrote: What constitutes "football people"?  Mike Brown is a football people.  He simply lacks the imagination to move the team forward.  It has nothing to do with his football knowledge.

The GM of the Vikings, for example, was a commodities trader 10 years ago. These women have spent their entire lives in football.  They may not have played but plenty of GMs and team Presidents have never played football.  

Football people in football positions is not the team President in my opinion, that is a business position, of which ownership should definitely hold.
GM's handle everything from player personnel to detailed team logistics.

Mike was used to an old way, he could not conform in a timely manner and he was never good at it, IMO. His last player evaluation we are aware of was Jackson Carmen, lets hope he remains the last.  A GM should have great contacts around the league and in the college ranks, as well as understand the intricacies of coaching, player management, etc.  Just because dad or grandpa was Paul Brown does not qualify anyone to be a competent GM.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 09:12 AM)pally Wrote: We have rightly given a lot of credit to Elizabeth Blackburn for the new openness and increased fan engagement surrounding the Bengals.  She has said that a Ring of Honor, new uniforms, and an indoor practice facility were her 3 big goals when she joined the front office.  She has achieved all 3 of those in less than 3 years.

We, however, have also given her a lot of credit for the massive improvement in their social media interactions and strategy.  Turns out we should have been crediting younger sister Caroline, who is the Senior Manager of Digital Strategy, for that improvement.  NFL numbers have shown that the Bengals have by far, the largest increase in fan social media engagement in the NFL over the last 2 years.  And it is not solely due to the team's improvement.  The quality of their output is 1000% better than it was just a couple of years ago.  It has humor, quality graphics, and good content all aimed at the social media generation which helps build the future fan base.

These young women have injected a breath of fresh air into team management.  Their emergence coupled with the Joe Burrow playing era seems like it could be a perfect alignment of the stars as we watch the team move forward.

We'll have to watch to see if either Elizabeth or Caroline has the chops to be GM one day.  But, right now with Katie slated to run the team and her daughters waiting in the wings, the future of team management looks bright

Thanks for the clarification, Pally.  I thought Elizabeth was in charge of social media, which is hilarious and one of the best follows in the league.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 10:01 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Football people in football positions is not the team President in my opinion, that is a business position, of which ownership should definitely hold.

Mike was used to an old way, he could not conform in a timely manner and he was never good at it, IMO. His last player evaluation we are aware of was Jackson Carmen, lets hope he remains the last.  A GM should have great contacts around the league and in the college ranks, as well as understand the intricacies of coaching, player management, etc.  Just because dad or grandpa was Paul Brown does not qualify anyone to be a competent GM.

You still haven't defined "football people"  What makes someone a football person vs someone who isn't?

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 10:01 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Football people in football positions is not the team President in my opinion, that is a business position, of which ownership should definitely hold.

The thing is..... Elizabeth didn't just walk in and take a job with her family's team. She started out working for the league office, and by all accounts did a fantastic job there. There was talk of her becoming a great executive one day. Guess we'll see.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 09:36 AM)pally Wrote: What constitutes "football people"?  Mike Brown is a football people.  He simply lacks the imagination to move the team forward.  It has nothing to do with his football knowledge.

Right

Mike was stuck in 1965
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 12:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: The thing is..... Elizabeth didn't just walk in and take a job with her family's team. She started out working for the league office, and by all accounts did a fantastic job there. There was talk of her becoming a great executive one day. Guess we'll see.

I dont disagree with her or any Brown family member being an executive, my point was the football operations positions.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 12:20 PM)pally Wrote: You still haven't defined "football people"  What makes someone a football person vs someone who isn't?

Football people as in people with experience doing football stuff, not social media or marketing.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand? Im not against any member of the Brown family being executives at the highest levels. But there are 2 distinct functions with a NFL team, the football side operations side and the business operations side.  

It is simply MY OPINION that we dont need family members deciding on draft picks or other player evaluations, or the other daily football processes. 

Owners handle marketing, accounting, corporate engagements, etc.

After Katie, I'm fine with both daughters in executive spots and would hope they would hire a solid GM with a lot of experience, a great captoligist, a savvy experienced contract attorney, and keep Duke head of player personnel. 

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 12:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Football people as in people with experience doing football stuff, not social media or marketing.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand? Im not against any member of the Brown family being executives at the highest levels. But there are 2 distinct functions with a NFL team, the football side operations side and the business operations side.  

It is simply MY OPINION that we dont need family members deciding on draft picks or other player evaluations, or the other daily football processes. 

After Katie, I'm fine with both daughters in executive spots and would hope they would hire a solid GM with a lot of experience, a great captoligist, a savvy experienced contract attorney, and keep Duke head of player personnel. 

These women have literally spent their ENTIRE LIVES immersed in football.  Elizabeth saw her first game at 1 week old.  They have been to every training camp.  They go to practices.  They sit in meetings involving player evaluations and contracts.  Dismissing, their football knowledge acan capabilities based on their current jobs is ridiculous and short-sighted. Do you seriously think these will be the only jobs they will ever hold in the Bengals Front Office?  Of course they won't.  

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 12:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Football people as in people with experience doing football stuff, not social media or marketing.

I agree with this. But the Blackburn girls have solid academic and work experience they bring to the table. I know Mike Brown has been way too conservative but he’s smart. He’s a hell of a lot smarter than Haslam and Stephen Ross. Maybe it’s because it’s his source of income.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I would rather see the Blackburns hire a GM then be a GM like thier Grandfather.

WTS Duke is doing a good j9b right now why are we talking about replacing him?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 01:47 PM)J24 Wrote: I would rather see the Blackburns hire a GM then be a GM like thier Grandfather.

WTS Duke is doing a good j9b right now why are we talking about replacing him?

I'd like to see them put the best person in the chair.  If that's a Blackburn, fine by me.  The assumption it should be a family member is what I imagine is concerning to many.  But based on what we've seen the past couple of years by the team, that doesn't worry me strongly at this point.  

I don't think the conversation is about Duke at all, though.  It's about what happens 15-20 years down the line. 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2022, 12:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont disagree with her or any Brown family member being an executive, my point was the football operations positions.

I get what you're saying, but these aren't your average ladies from a football family. These folks are immersed in football. I can agree I'd want a bona fide GM (kinda like Duke Tobin), but I also believe they know plenty about the game. I don't think Katie, nor her daughters are as stubborn as the old man. Plus, Katie has been handling contracts for a while now.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
In addition to the ladies, I'd like to recognize Bengals Mic Cart for their hard work.

Thank you for your service !

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote