Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carr to the Saints
A deal is imminent according the media: https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-closing-in-on-deal-with-free-agent-qb-derek-carr.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That actually could work out well for both sides. Saints have some players and are in a weak division. Brady gone. Carr’s not elite but he could certainly lead them to the playoffs the next few seasons.
Reply/Quote
He ended up getting $150M and 4 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 04:27 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: He ended up getting $150M and 4 years.

From what I read the last year is $50 million not guaranteed.  If anything, I'd say it's more like 3 years and $100 million.
Reply/Quote
Seems like the logical move for Carr. He's not good in the cold, he seems too sensitive for the NY media, and he goes to a division where he's no longer the 3rd or 4th best QB in the division, but the best. Plus, as it seems now any NFC team that isn't crap has a shot at the SB. I sound like I'm ragging on him, but he's a decent QB but he also wisely put himself in a much better place than he would be if he went with the Jets.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton played for them at 1yr/$3m last year. They added $34.5m/yr and got worse at QB.

Carr had both the leading rusher in the NFL and Devante Adams and couldn't manage to be above average. 2 winning seasons in 9 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Just a reminder that the Saints were -$49m in cap space BEFORE signing Carr.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 12:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just a reminder that the Saints were -$49m in cap space BEFORE signing Carr.

Yeah and they're already over the cap through 2025.  Robbing Peter to pay Paul has its limitations.  Eventually there won't be anything they can do but start over.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 12:53 PM)Stewy Wrote: Yeah and they're already over the cap through 2025.  Robbing Peter to pay Paul has its limitations.  Eventually there won't be anything they can do but start over.

For one year of just true misery sometime in the future, then it's reset and you can rebuild.

Just think it's pretty amazing the amount of cap gymnastics they can pull off with creativity and a lot of liquid cash on hand for signing bonuses. I give a lot of shit for overpaying Carr because he sucks, but despite him sucking he's somehow the best QB in that division now and the Saints have to be the favorites to win the division.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 01:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: For one year of just true misery sometime in the future, then it's reset and you can rebuild.

Just think it's pretty amazing the amount of cap gymnastics they can pull off with creativity and a lot of liquid cash on hand for signing bonuses. I give a lot of shit for overpaying Carr because he sucks, but despite him sucking he's somehow the best QB in that division now and the Saints have to be the favorites to win the division.

Well they can only rework contracts so many times.  Eventually they'll come to the end of the line.  As for the best QB in the division - true for now.  Let's see what TB and Carolina due through FA and the draft.
Reply/Quote
Just saw this, surprised me. Carr isn't very good as TLL says, he kind of sucks, I still think he throws a pretty ball but he
can be careless at times turning it over. I don't know how much better this makes the Saints, but they might win that weak
division now with Carr at the helm along with Kamara at RB and they still have some weapons. That one dude with a weird
name burnt us last season where we pulled it out late with Chase on the sideline ball.
Reply/Quote